Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Island edge, I also have a bigger owb. About a 24x24 door and 54" deep. I've thought about putting big stuff in it but figured it would take longer to get equipment out than to just throw 32" long splits in it. I also let the ash build up pretty high so a bit of a pain there too. I like splitting wood and I split small enough that it's easier for my wife to do it so I hardly ever have to do it. I'm planning to make a building beside my own owb and been thinking about putting a beam in the ridge so I could use it to load bigger rounds into the owb. Still trying to decide on it though.

Done that for years loading by hand.. The main point was, trying to bypass the ugly crotchy wood that gets even a big splitter stuck sometimes! I had the idea to start loading those ugly time wasters with the mini skid which was safer,easier and faster to maneuver than my new holland. Before long i realized that 90% of my wood could be cut and loaded without further processing. Now keep in mind my door is pretty close to 3x4. That piece in the pic was over 4 feet long and atleast 36" in the base.( not perfectly round) i rotated it till it made it though the door. Usually if they get close to the 3ft dia i just slice thick cookies and roll them in with the forks. Now about time spent getting the mini out verses throwing it in? I'm already in the lead, i never spent hours splitting any wood.. My main benefit is it has a 6 foot burn box, so spending a couple extra mins loading big pieces saves me from going back outside to reload my stove as often when i was loading by hand. I load it and forget about it for almost 2 days..

Buried right now......

84c245504012e9f41d874f74755804cc.jpg

sent from a field

We do have the same type of white stuff as you guys have. Here's a pic from one of my XC skiing trip a few years ago.
I actually skied and camped out in an old stockman's hut back in 1993. That night was the coldest night ever recorded in Australia. -25°C (-13°F). It was rather chilly in the tin hut.
upload_2016-12-19_8-46-16.png

Casey looks awsome, I'm jelouse we don't get any snow where I live. Would love to live somewere realy cold for a few years just to experiance it.

After a few years you'd be ready to head back.

Were cold folks... Much prefer to engage in activities in the winter rather than summer. No bugs, no sweat, no sunburn.

But we do also enjoy our summer water activities. MI is just a good place to get the best of both worlds.

After a few years you'd be ready to head back.

Were cold folks... Much prefer to engage in activities in the winter rather than summer. No bugs, no sweat, no sunburn.

But we do also enjoy our summer water activities. MI is just a good place to get the best of both worlds.

Oh, I agree, Michigan is a wonderful place for outdoor sports, year round. This is where I grew up mostly (dad moved around a lot, but this was my longest stay anyplace), pulled buckets of perch off the piers here.

http://mashable.com/2016/12/18/frozen-michigan-lighthouse/

Latest posts

Back