Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each row is a cord. I started with nine cord October and now March 2 I have used almost four. I'm good for next year. 10 below in the NW Kootenay, BC.
I put 2 1/2 cords on my back porch last fall and I used up the last of that last night. I have plenty more stacked outside and I may have to bring in an arm full as I need it till it worms up. I'm not going to bring anymore then I need to finish out the season.

Sunny last day of February. I've got all my cut dead Oak is split and stacked.

View attachment 969298

Now, I have options: work up the big oak that fell taking out my utilities last week, or cut down another standing dead red oak. I doubt the oak that took out my utilities will be seasoned by next year. So, I believe I'll take down another dead oak.
Jere, You're just a cutting machine. Good work and be safe, you and the pooch.

I put 2 1/2 cords on my back porch last fall and I used up the last of that last night. I have plenty more stacked outside and I may have to bring in an arm full as I need it till it worms up. I'm not going to bring anymore then I need to finish out the season.
I lived in Conroe for awhile way back. Do not remember it being cold enough in the winter... does it freeze where you are?
Snowed last night, rained today, wood heat takes the moisture element away. Nothing better!

Old grain store with ventilated floor , never tried to use the floor to dry the wood, especially with the price of electricity now, but it would be possible.
I think if I leave it as it is for a year it should be dry enough.
Damp climate here in UK so it is good to have it indoors both for storage and splitting under cover and out of the weather. Lockdown splitter has been a joy to use, quiet and steady and yet productive. But this is after modification number 101! Such is the life of an inventor!

Attachments

• 65DC5CB6-51FF-4F04-9078-92010411E4E2.jpeg
    65DC5CB6-51FF-4F04-9078-92010411E4E2.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 5
  • D94EA523-9C61-487D-9AEF-7C0565295FA6.jpeg
    D94EA523-9C61-487D-9AEF-7C0565295FA6.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • 5898C8FE-66ED-439F-8419-5230E5763B37.jpeg
    5898C8FE-66ED-439F-8419-5230E5763B37.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
I take it you move the basket with your Kubota. Does it have any issues lifting a loaded basket full of green wood? What model is that.
I have about 100 of them that I use to store wood and I'm looking for something to move them around. Will it lift one high enough to load in a truck bed? I can't deside on a small tractor or skid steer.

My Branson 3725 can lift a 275 gallon IBC tote that's loaded with green hardwood. The newer Bransons have about 400 lb more loader capacity. I don't know if it'll lift high enough to get it in a truck. It does make the rear end a little light, and i have loaded rear tires and a 550lb implement on the back. But it's safe enough to carry them a good ways. Most tractors that size are lighter and have less loader capacity.

A skid steer of the right size would be heavier and have more loader capacity and would be more stable too. It's probably better for that task. Tractors excel at pulling stuff and are ok for a huge range of other tasks but not as good as specialized equipment.

Old grain store with ventilated floor , never tried to use the floor to dry the wood, especially with the price of electricity now, but it would be possible.
I think if I leave it as it is for a year it should be dry enough.
Damp climate here in UK so it is good to have it indoors both for storage and splitting under cover and out of the weather. Lockdown splitter has been a joy to use, quiet and steady and yet productive. But this is after modification number 101! Such is the life of an inventor!
Because I am weak of wrist and back, I cannot hand stack a heap of logs in the way you do in the US. It really looks to me like a kind of religion and I admire all the time and effort and I can see that the result brings great pride.
So as we have a large wood burning stove as well, there is not the pleasure seeing your carefully split logs being stacked and fed to your lovely open fireplace or fire pit like you have.
So I have the old sugar beet bucket which I can use to pick up a ton of logs, shake with the hydraulics to filter out the bits and pieces which are good kindling. Then tip the logs into a one ton wooden bin which I can park outside my back door and cover with a tarp.

1646857497519.png

Whatever makes it easiest for you and works. It's not a contest.
I am not trying to make it into a contest. When I was young in the 1960s, there was only a primitive axe and a chopping block and I spent years hand balling the split logs into a shed which then had to be hand loaded out into a barrow. We had a large old fashioned fireplace in a big old draughty farmhouse. It was like feeding the boilers on a battleship! My dear old father used to sit in his chair with a rug on one side to protect him from the radiated heat of the fire, and another rug on the other side to protect him from the draught under the door!
Eventually I went on strike as we had five men on the farm when I started but with retirements it went down to just me and I had no time to do all the firewood. We also used to have a very dangerous open circular saw that nobody liked to operate. and also nobody had a chainsaw so all the wood was from broken branches from storms.
The change started when I bought our first wood stove. Father had great resistance and when I sat the thing on the hearth he was in a very bad mood. I told him if he did not like it it was easy to take out again and I lit it at about 6.00 pm and went off to play some indoor tennis with a group of friends followed by a beer session.
Came back to the farmhouse at about 11.00 pm and crept into the living room to find father asleep in his chair in his underpants and string vest. I laughed my head off when he told me that he went to sleep and when he awoke he thought that he was in hell!
After that it was of course the best thing since sliced bread and all the doors in the house were open and the heat went through the whole house.
Now on my own with an electric chainsaw and processor plus Teleporter I can create a lot of firewood to feed our boiler stove which does all our heating and hot water as well as room heating. The feeding is relatively easy from the wooden one ton box which is only five paces from the stove. the box holds about 3/4 of a ton in practice after it has dried and lasts about 10 days and is easily changed over with the teleporter.
So it is not so much a competition but more a demonstration of how at three score years and ten, with arthritis and a bad back, it is possible to make use of this valuable resource when it looks as though oil and gas are going to go through the roof., all to appease a theory.

Sorry, I wasn't insinuating your were making it into a competition. Poor choice of words. I should have said, "You shouldn't have to feel like you have to keep up with the Jones".

I'm always looking for ways to simplify my processing work. Right now, all I want to do is add a gravity conveyor so splits go directly from my splitter into my trailer eliminating one time bending/ picking/tossing motion. I'm not as old as you, but I do feel the age.

Sorry, I wasn't insinuating your were making it into a competition. Poor choice of words. I should have said, "You shouldn't have to feel like you have to keep up with the Jones".

I'm always looking for ways to simplify my processing work. Right now, all I want to do is add a gravity conveyor so splits go directly from my splitter into my trailer eliminating one time bending/ picking/tossing motion. I'm not as old as you, but I do feel the age.
I think that this is a clever use of the hydraulic power of a splitter without the complication of adding a powered conveyor. I cannot see why you could not use the ram to push to an even greater height with a little ingenuity.

Latest posts

Back