Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my ready pile, I cut and split in the woods, then haul to here. I believe this is the last load of the year.

attachment.php

View attachment 287432

My wood shed is capable of holding about 16 cords of wood and is almost full now. Most of the wood is White Spruce, but there is also some Black Spruce and Birch. I use a 2152 Jonsered chainsaw and a Fiskars splitting maul. Shown below is my wood pile and my wife helping get the logs out of the forest with a pulk.
View attachment 287430View attachment 287431

Ha! good looking wood and draft mule there!

Nice rig! What can you get in that, around 1/6th of a cord or so?

When I'm hopping logs and rocks, I usually put about 1/8th a cord in it. Floats better than if I over load it. I usually cut and split where I felled the tree. Which is never far from my sheds and stacks. I also pace myself, so on this last dead Red Oak, that was about 4-6 rounds as I move up the tree; split, loaded, hauled, and stacked. I have a bigger trailer I can load half a cord comfortably and pull with this. But, I prefer to tread lightly in the woods, winding between the trees rather than making cart paths/roads.

287461d1356149128-trailer-jpg

View attachment 287460View attachment 287461

Last edited:
When I'm hopping logs and rocks, I usually put about 1/8th a cord in it. Floats better than if I over load it. I usually cut and split where I felled the tree. Which is never far from my sheds and stacks. I also pace myself, so on this last dead Red Oak, that was about 4-6 rounds as I move up the tree; split, loaded, hauled, and stacked. I have a bigger trailer I can load half a cord comfortably and pull with this. But, I prefer to tread lightly in the woods, winding between the trees rather than making cart paths/roads.

That makes sense, using the smaller trailer. I used to do that with the wheelhorse, just snaking through the woods, but now I use the deutz and aint no snaking through the woods with that, not much anyway.

I have cut 11 truck loads so far this year for this up coming winter! I will get my splitter soon from my buddy and get to work.. It's hickory oak cherry and elm. A guy I work with skidded them out of the woods for me and had them all laid out from a wind storm we had last summer!!
ACA42EA0-7D25-4B06-AA13-46E1DE6A4F04-1155-0000016AC2B17763.jpg

I have cut 11 truck loads so far this year for this up coming winter! I will get my splitter soon from my buddy and get to work.. It's hickory oak cherry and elm. A guy I work with skidded them out of the woods for me and had them all laid out from a wind storm we had last summer!!

Nice Buddy!

Philbert

My wood shed is capable of holding about 16 cords of wood and is almost full now. Most of the wood is White Spruce, but there is also some Black Spruce and Birch. I use a 2152 Jonsered chainsaw and a Fiskars splitting maul. Shown below is my wood pile and my wife helping get the logs out of the forest with a pulk.
View attachment 287430View attachment 287431

I did firewood this way for ten years, harvesting every winter for the next. I was laid off in the winters from doing road construction and enjoyed it. Had to drag in 100 lb propane bottles 1,300' too in the winter. Makes for sleeping well. Now I cut very little in the woods and buy 20 cord loads. Thanks for the pictures. Crane

I brought two more loads home today elm and some Japanese chestnut he cut down. My wife said the wood pile looks bad I said it looks like a pile of hard work!!
5CCE0B2C-994C-4D37-B0A8-54AE2130CE08-401-000000F639D0CE4A.jpg
DFB9992B-817F-41E4-B770-14FE6F8A0DF2-401-000000F963AB34BA.jpg

The pile may look bad but the savings look real good. Maybe your Mrs will help you straighten it up to her satisfaction.

I brought two more loads home today elm and some Japanese chestnut he cut down. My wife said the wood pile looks bad I said it looks like a pile of hard work!!

Looks good to me!

Garden Goddess goes to me, dont you have enough saws? Me: Nope, told you I was going for one hundred runners...

Also, dont you have enough wood now? Me: Nope, want to get ten years ahead.....

Kennecott Copper Company

Pretty neat! I had to look it up, you are out in the boon dockers there. Worlds ex richest copper mine.

You've done your homework. The Kennicott mine in Alaska, opened in 1909 and shut down in 1939, is the name sake for the Kennecott Copper Company.

I hope you folks are well and enjoying the weekend. :)

The remaining firewood rounds are all split and stacked. Got the wood finished yesterday but it was too late in the evening to get photos. Boy, I'm glad that's done for the duration. I enjoy working up firewood but not all the darn time. This puts us three years ahead. The stack is sloppy but it's gonna be gone by this time next year anyhow.

Went to the grocery in town today for Easter dinner stuff. They had fruit trees for $13.00 each. So we picked up 5 of them. Two apple, two pear and a flowering tree that supposedly attracts hummingbirds. The apple and pear trees, the label said they needed another variety in order to produce fruit. That's why we got two of each, different varieties. We may live long enough to see 'em actually produce fruit, lol.

Digging the holes wasn't too bad. It's been raining a lot here and the ground was nice and soft. The SheWolf helped with raking the soil over the root balls and watering. I'm gonna leave the garden hose out there and water 'em often for now. Still worked up a sweat though. Glad I don't have to do that stuff for a living. Got the garden plot tilled, too. :)

Have a happy Easter, everyone and get some rest.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

ACA42EA0-7D25-4B06-AA13-46E1DE6A4F04-1155-0000016AC2B17763.jpg

im still jealous. you live in alaska and can already cut wood for next year. i live in minnesota and itll be another month before the snow is gone enuf to even get in the woods. two months before the mud dries up and thats only if we dont get any rain. may is usually a really wet month around here so im not holding my breath

Back