Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice..... :msp_thumbup:

302571-img_20130630_124001-jpg

Ell-umm

Neighbor - the tree service operator - told me about a pile of elm he had in the yard, suggesting that I should load it and get it out'a there. I guess, if I *have* to...

It appeared to have been a standing, dead tree but is far from seasoned. Still, the price is right, so...

These aren't in the right order but still. you get the idea. Each has a caption so that helps.

jb

Here are a couple more.

I *think* it's American Elm but won't swear to it. The smell reminded me of latex paint when cutting.

The one round just above what must have been the stump took a couple steel wedges and a couple wood ones to break apart. Had to cut the stringy stuff with a hatchet.

jb

Ayuh,
that's what Elm looks like when you(try to :hmm3grin2orange:)split it,nice and stringy..... :msp_tongue:
Good job gettin' that split..... :msp_thumbup:

302726-stringy-jpg

But once it's dry, it burns real HOT!!! I like the stuff personally... Mixes great with the denser stuff...:rock:

Didn't take a pic yet (will tonight) but we cut, split and piled about 1 1/2 cords of Tamarack over the weekend, sold 1/3 cord to an older couple at our campground. Also cut & split the 8' cedar logs I was planning to mill, decided I'd rather spend the summer having fun with the kids and enjoying family time. Spent way too much time on the saw last summer, and didn't have any time for the family. Not gonna happen this year. Still going to have to get more firewood cut this summer for next year, but as long as I can keep the cutting for cooler or dirtier days, it'll better for us.

Should have a pic of the woodpile on here tomorrow, it finishes the corner of our lakeside lot nicely, and hides the paddleboat and water pump from view.

It's about 98% lodgepole pine and about 2% whitebark pine. I'm cutting at about 8k - 9.2k ASL. Problem with whitebark is that it's big, typically multi-trunked with lots of big limbs. Takes forever to process. Much easier to cut the lodgepole that's also dead/standing due to the ravages of the Mountain Pine Beetle (MPB).

It's about 98% lodgepole pine and about 2% whitebark pine. I'm cutting at about 8k - 9.2k ASL. Problem with whitebark is that it's big, typically multi-trunked with lots of big limbs. Takes forever to process. Much easier to cut the lodgepole that's also dead/standing due to the ravages of the Mountain Pine Beetle (MPB).

yup, same trees ....resort is @ 7700' in the Sierras.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back