Post your 2 series Husky thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really, as the only differense between the 281 and 288 is the bore of the top end. ;)
It isn't that simple with the other exemples.

With the 261 vs. 262 the bore is the same, but there a other differenses (piston and muffler mainly) - and with the 365 vs. 372 it is totally different porting, in addition to the bore differense. Early 365s had different carbs as well.
it was ment to describe how the difference 281 vs 288 feel in work.

Basically a low hour one owner saw that has never had a wrench on it. Just don't have the guts for a 24" bar like I thought it should have from all the talk around here.

View attachment 421931
I had a 268xp some years ago and it was just as strong as the then new 6400 Dolmar I have. Someone dropped it out of a tree so I parted the rest out.

I had a 268xp some years ago and it was just as strong as the then new 6400 Dolmar I have. Someone dropped it out of a tree so I parted the rest out.

Running what size bars? In what kind of wood?

I have ran a 6400 with a 28" bar on it in hardwood and no way a 268XP hangs with that.

Don't get me wrong, the 268 is a fine saw, but it like some others have been put on a pedestal around here for sometime and it just don't live up to the hype for me. Its not as overrated around here though as say a MS460 is. :laugh:

Sawtroll I was talking about what I feel in the power difference between the two saws is similar to the differences in power of the two saws I mentioned.

I did see that - but chose to use the opportunity to explain that the differenses are created in different ways. :lol:

In the case of the 281/288 it was a natural development, with the others the "lesser" versions were created on purpose.

Running what size bars? In what kind of wood?

I have ran a 6400 with a 28" bar on it in hardwood and no way a 268XP hangs with that.

Don't get me wrong, the 268 is a fine saw, but it like some others have been put on a pedestal around here for sometime and it just don't live up to the hype for me. Its not as overrated around here though as say a MS460 is. :laugh:

Closed port 268xp's run really good with 24" bars. Its rated at 4.8hp or so, 13,500 rpm. Strong saws for their day.

1430543072208.jpg 1430543072208.jpg 1430543216760.jpg 1430543072208.jpg 1430543216760.jpg Hello everyone, first time posting but thought this thread needed it's 'unicorn'! Unmolested 298xp i bought new in '86 i believe when i was bucking here in bc interior. I bought it as a backup for my 181, generally became my 'morning' saw, as the lighter 181 was welcome to start the afternoon! In clean, smaller wood i think the 181 was faster, better rpm, but the 298 was my go to for frozen wood, or in heavy mud where a sharp chain was nearly impossible to maintain, the 298 you could just dog it in an lean on it, and it cut! This one's never been apart, and other than my kinda goofy dual exhaust (needed it to fit around a mill i was making) it's all original, even the lightweight starter housing, and ya, it's a corksucker to start! I'm not a big guy, 150lbs soakin wet with my boots on, only way i can fire it is throw the saw at the ground with my left hand, and give a hail mary pull with my right, and she always crackles to life! Cheers everyone!

View attachment 422145 View attachment 422145 View attachment 422146 View attachment 422145 View attachment 422146 Hello everyone, first time posting but thought this thread needed it's 'unicorn'! Unmolested 298xp i bought new in '86 i believe when i was bucking here in bc interior. I bought it as a backup for my 181, generally became my 'morning' saw, as the lighter 181 was welcome to start the afternoon! In clean, smaller wood i think the 181 was faster, better rpm, but the 298 was my go to for frozen wood, or in heavy mud where a sharp chain was nearly impossible to maintain, the 298 you could just dog it in an lean on it, and it cut! This one's never been apart, and other than my kinda goofy dual exhaust (needed it to fit around a mill i was making) it's all original, even the lightweight starter housing, and ya, it's a corksucker to start! I'm not a big guy, 150lbs soakin wet with my boots on, only way i can fire it is throw the saw at the ground with my left hand, and give a hail mary pull with my right, and she always crackles to life! Cheers everyone!
For a first post you sure did good and good looking saw you got their and Welcome to AS

Closed port 268xp's run really good with 24" bars. Its rated at 4.8hp or so, 13,500 rpm. Strong saws for their day.

I hate argue with Mark but I agree with you...the closed port Mahle 268XP motors I've used ran a 24" with great authority....every bit as fast as the 272Xp running anything up to a 24" bar.....anything longer and the 272 would pull ahead......mine runs a 20" most all the time and is a real nice saw to use hrs at a time. It has been tweeked a tad but only by me.....not anyone in the business....just a shade tree tweeker.....
Couple pics.....sorry it doesn't say "two something" on it.......but does have a Mahle 268Xp top end...among other things...

Nick's 359 and new XPs 017.JPG Nick's 359 and new XPs 018.JPG Nick's 359 and new XPs 019.JPG

Back