Post your helpful chainsaw/cutting tips and tricks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching the you tube on it .The "boss" said I wasn't allowed to have the bobcat logsplitter.She said that I would spend to much time cuttin .Then I told her "just think dear I could go to all the local campgrounds and charge a couple of bucks to split campers wood.All the men would want to see it $5 and a cold one. I said just think of the new BMW/Caddy/Jaguar you could be driving". She just smiled and said dinners ready.At dinner she said about that splitter thingy,I could see you sitting there drinking beer,and having a good time. I then asked her "Do you want leather and satellite radio?"

the only reply I got was "Don't forget to scrub the fry pan and load the dish washer.

I said I would be if I had the bobcat slpitter.

Darn that frypan hurts..............

I think I married her sister! Mine did not like the idea either. :cry:

Tell that to the kids in Blair Witch Project!

I was supposed to teach a saw safety class this last fall down near Kalama but that fell through. I still have most of the contacts rarin' to go for a later class. I would be more than happy to contribute to that training effort.

Geeze, we can't keep our Fecon up and running for more than a week. That thing is temperamental! Maybe its all the slash it's asked to chew up for site prep? HMMM

I don't have any certifications to instruct sawyers, but I'm sure more than a few guys will come that can share stuff with people. I always try to observe respected cutters I work with and watch their game. It's interesting when people have different ways of doing things in a slight manner, as trying different things can either add to your skills or make you more comfortable with your style.

I don't have any certifications to instruct sawyers,

I don't either, just yet. I'm hoping to get the instructor qual in the NFES system to teach at the "B" sawyer level for fire this season. I don't see me qualifying "C" soon, more's the pity, but if I had that qual I'd want to teach to that as well.

The other device I carry everywhere is a small Surefire torch. Never know if the truck breaks down at night, or you need to change the tire, or look inside something dark. Useful even in broad daylight. You can signal with it if you wish.

I carry a little knockoff Surefire flashlight (called Ultrafire, available for about $10-15 from a Korean website - not certain if I should list it here). Anyway, it takes 1 AAA battery and it about as bright as my 5 D cell Mag flashlight. It's about the size of a mini-mag flashlight, and it's always in my front pocket, next to my keys. That thing comes in handy so many times, in the woods and out of the woods.

Tie your boots using the loggers tie. If you are falling small trees against their lean, put in the backcut first, along with a wedge, then saw the undercut.

Burvol; It's interesting when people have different ways of doing things in a slight manner said:
Could'nt agree with you more Burvol. It is too easy (for me anyway) to get stuck in a certain way of doing something if it works even if just barely. I remember putting on a new chain and I had the power head in an upright position, of course I was juggling the bar with one hand while trying to get the chain on. A faller watched me and said, you put a chain on that way? He left right away and I thought well how else can I do it. Finally it hit me to turn the saw and bar over on its side. AhHa.

To help keep from getting pinched while bucking logs. If the log to your left is supported nearby and will stay at the same height after the cut but the side to the right will drop angle the cut from top to bottom stationary/drop drop\stationary just a tiny hair will do it.

I don't have any certifications to instruct sawyers, but I'm sure more than a few guys will come that can share stuff with people. I always try to observe respected cutters I work with and watch their game. It's interesting when people have different ways of doing things in a slight manner, as trying different things can either add to your skills or make you more comfortable with your style.

:agree2::agree2:

As one of my guys used to say: " When you stop learning, don't come down for breakfast.":monkey:

Years ago ( a dark and stormy night ) after a close call with a chain (only 8 stitches just above the patella with duct tape removal ), the brain said to learn something about safety. I took a full Game of Logging program.....not a game; nice techniques for accuracy, safety, efficiency, even fun competing. Hey, I never knew that boring ( plunge cutting ) could often do the job.:confused:

Also consider -

BETTER BOW from Sherrill Tree:

There's a better description of how to tie "SHOELACES EXTRA SECURE" in Brion Toss' book CHAPMAN'S NAUTICAL GUIDES Knots, pages 164-5, 1990

I taught this to my kids nearly twenty years ago - it's great for keeping childrens shoes tied - It's a semi-decorative knot we all use on all shoe/boot laces ... VERY SECURE, EASY TO TIE AND EASY TO UN-TIE!

Also consider -

BETTER BOW from Sherrill Tree:

There's a better description of how to tie "SHOELACES EXTRA SECURE" in Brion Toss' book CHAPMAN'S NAUTICAL GUIDES Knots, pages 164-5, 1990

I taught this to my kids nearly twenty years ago - it's great for keeping childrens shoes tied - It's a semi-decorative knot we all use on all shoe/boot laces ... VERY SECURE, EASY TO TIE AND EASY TO UN-TIE!

Thanks. I should read that catalog more carefully.
:cheers:

Another Zippo fan, add to that a Leatherman...the one with a bit set. Torx, square drive, etc....priceless.

A tip on the Zippo, get a flint pack & stick an extra flint under the felt block. That way you always have an extra flint with the lighter.

The best tip for me is a razor sharp chain...nothing else compares.

RD

Another Zippo fan, add to that a Leatherman...the one with a bit set. Torx, square drive, etc....priceless.

A tip on the Zippo, get a flint pack & stick an extra flint under the felt block. That way you always have an extra flint with the lighter.

The best tip for me is a razor sharp chain...nothing else compares.

RD

You are soooo right. It pays to carry extras along. A sharp chain cuts faster and is safer to use.

Does anyone use butane lighters? I really like the Brunton Helios. Works every time and lights in the the wind.

If I may be allowed to extend cutting tips to splitting tips:

When sawing billets for maul splitting, make cuts at the apex of "Y's" (crotches). Then, split with the butt end up and align the 'Y' such both 'legs' are split at once. It will save much 'noodling'.

An old tire around the chopping block keeps the maul from striking the ground (rocks) and it helps keep the block upright:
4257029855_dcc3ac2a05.jpg

It is recommended to hole saw several large holes through the 'ground-sidewall' to prevent water from collecting within the tire.
4257789234_b3d99a34d0.jpg

Last edited:
If I may be allowed to extend cutting tips to splitting tips:
An old tire around the chopping block keeps the maul from striking the ground (rocks) and it helps keep the block upright
I add another tire (both of them taller than yours) and it keeps the log and splits right there so you can just keep hacking away until it's all split.
No picking up the log off the ground after every swing.

I add another tire (both of them taller than yours) and it keeps the log and splits right there so you can just keep hacking away until it's all split.
No picking up the log off the ground after every swing.

I was thinking that's a pretty big tire. What tires are you using?

I was thinking that's a pretty big tire. What tires are you using?
I dunno. I guess they're wide truck tires. My stump might not be as tall, either.
Stack 3 and lash them together, for the same effect, if you need to. It just keeps everything coralled.
It's also handy to throw a few smaller logs in there at one time and just walk a circle and give each one a split.
It keeps them all standing there for you.

Back