Posting a Craig's List add

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The question is how do I get better coverage to other areas, within say two hundred miles, or more, to people actually looking for what I have? In this case, a very expensive wood splitter. I posted it in a large near by city, under 'general merchandise'. Can I do better than that somehow?

At the end I did list...wood splitter; log splitter. The brand name and model is in the listing title of course.

Thanks in advance. Crane

I'd put it in Farm and garden or maybe tools. I don't think it's against the rules to list on multiple city's Craigslist if you are looking for more exposure

I just checked my add and the edit options, which are limited to the text in the main body, and photos.
The category and city listing do not appear to be within the edit functions.

You'll have to create new ads, and pick a different city early in the process. Just copy paste all the text.
Also, add key words at bottom so the search finds them like logsplitter, lo splitter, woodsplitter, wood splitter, etc. Lots of variations, as well as some mis spellings if appropriate.

For a log splitter I would post it under Farm and Garden. But put it in as many categories as you can. Also post it in as many cities as you can as well. I use a website called search tempest for searching craigslist. It looks nation wide and I have had good luck finding what I am looking for. Post it out east, New Hampshire, Vermont etc.. People are willing to travel to buy a quality piece of equipment for the right price. You have to do a new posting for each city so it will take some time to get them all posted, and you have to monitor them to renew them before they expire but it works. Most of my customers find us on Craigslist first and then we direct them to our website from craigslist. I would put it on Ebay as well. You better hurry up and sell that splitter, if everything goes right for me tomorrow there will be another Timberwolf for sale shortly....

Couple of other websites I watch-
https://forestryequipmentsales.com
http://www.firewoodequipmenttrader.com

If you do the same ad, word for word on Craigslist in different markets they will delete all of them. If you write a similar ad in each market you are fine.

Also I'd try to get it into one of those equipment trader magazines and also try the many furewood related FB groups.

You're selling a high dollar, function specific item. CL doesn't generally attract those types of people.

When I was toying with selling my dump trailer and getting a longer equipment trailer, EVERYONE wanted to lowball me. I was asking a couple thousand off buying new and the trailer is a 2016 with 0 issues. I ended up deciding the hassle above listing it on CL wasn't worth what I can get out of it and decided to keep it.

I would try another venue.

Some good advice above.:clap:

The biggest mistakes I see are few and poor quality pictures. Take lots and post them.

Give an accurate description such as make/model of what you have. Some give just enough info to get ones curiosity. List all the features and don't leave things out.

I started an eBay account, but two issues. One was photo resolution??? The other was fees. No listing fee, but there seems to be a 10% sellers fee. Ouch...
On a big ticket item like that, or check out cars and boats. They often say "Local pick up only. $200 deposit on PayPal, at end of sale, balance due in cash at pickup". At least that cuts PayPal out of the deal, Joe.

I had a buyer last spring but it sounded shady so I passed. Guy said he could not get off base to come pick it up. Whatever that meant... I emailed some questions and he responded but did not answer any of the questions. And, although the spelling was correct, the sentence structure was reversed in a couple sentences. It all had an odd feeling, so I went with my gut.

Today I added a CraigsList add, changed cities and categories, and passed on eBay.
Just have to wait and see.
I'm not giving it away just to unload it.
Pretty isn't it?
IMG_1253.jpgIMG_1678.jpgIMG_1485.jpg

I had a buyer last spring but it sounded shady so I passed. Guy said he could not get off base to come pick it up. Whatever that meant... I emailed some questions and he responded but did not answer any of the questions. And, although the spelling was correct, the sentence structure was reversed in a couple sentences. It all had an odd feeling, so I went with my gut.

Today I added a CraigsList add, changed cities and categories, and passed on eBay.
Pretty isn't it?
View attachment 597327View attachment 597328View attachment 597329
What you described is typical wording for the credit card scammers that have been plaguing the service industries for years

Pretty isn't it?
View attachment 597327View attachment 597328View attachment 597329

Very nice splitter.:bowdown::clap:

However this reinforces what I said earlier, you need good high quality pictures and lots of them from all angles.

Back