Poulan 306A...Help please?!?!?!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gator53

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have an older Poulan 306A that my dad gave me after he got a new saw. My problem is that the saw runs poorly and shuts down any time you put her on her side...kinda hard to cut down a tree with this condition. My dad said that it has done this almost since it was new.
I checked compression it is 125psi(don't know if thats good or bad). There is no smoking or any outward sign that anything is wrong but obviously there is.
Any thoughts would help.
Thanks

Check your fuel line in the tank.Make sure the fuel filter is not stuck but on the bottom.Also might clean out the carb and check all fuel lines for cracks.
Does it do this on either side?

Check your fuel line in the tank.Make sure the fuel filter is not stuck but on the bottom.Also might clean out the carb and check all fuel lines for cracks.
Does it do this on either side?

Yes it does it on both sides, originally I thought the fuel pick up filter was getting stuck on one side but that doesn't seem to be it.

I've not seen this problem but it certainly sounds like a fuel / air mix problem of some type. The fuel line could possible have a crack which opens up when you turn it on it's side preventing the carb from getting fuel although this should take a few seconds to occur. If this is suspect, replace the fuel line. A diaphram carb should perform the same no matter what the orientation as long as the fuel line remains flooded so, if it runs good in one position it sounds like the carb does not need a rebuild. The other thing I'm wondering is if the crank is dropping downward a few thousandths and one of the crankcase seals is leaking causing the saw to pull in air and die. You could test for this by pressurizing the crankcase and turning the saw to either side to see if you loose the seal during this time although this a bit involved and will require some test equipment.

Hard to figure sometimes.

My first 306a bought in 78 was always screwy about wanting to run on its right side. I would sometimes have to pull the choke slightly open for a second when laying it on its right side then closing the choke after it was layed over.

This was only on its right side, and not always. It would always run on its left side fine.

It was checked and rechecked for air leaks and never had any. Dropped some big trees running on its right side and the plug was checked and it never run lean.

If it was a used saw I would say to check the fuel line to make sure its routed around the stud in the center of the tank correctly. It has to be routed behind the stud then come in front of it from around the left (starter) side.

Personally I think that a few of those Tilly carbs had problems, although I can't prove it.

I have 2 306a's right now and neither have any problems running on either side.

Gator53, when you say the saw runs poorly to begin with AND shuts off when layed over, it sounds like you have some air/vac leaks that need to be checked. That is a old saw and seals do age and fail.

That said, the 306a was in my opinion one of the best 3.6 ci saw produced from that era.

Here is my freebie 306a, a real early version. It was a throw in with some macs I bought. It needed a recoil rope and was missing the recoil cover.

I needed a fuel line and a carb kit, along with the rope and the recoil cover from a parts saw that I had.

Runs great and will cut alot of firewood in a day. Not bad for about a $15 investment.

These early style mufflers were quit loud but the later versions had a tin muffler that muffled much better.

I have new development here that may or may not lead to my problem. I just pulled the old 306 off the shelf today to tinker with it. I replaced the fuel lines and started her up and before I even got to check to see if she'd run on her side oil started spewing from the underside, it appears to be coming from the oiler and gets worse when I throttle her.??? I don't know alot about chainsaws but I am a mechanic so I think I could understand better with a little help. Is there any link between the crankcase and the oiler area that would cause this problem? Maybe a gasket or something? I didn't do much exploring of the internal areas I just shut her down and walked away before I got really angry...I already had steam rolling off the top of my head. Like COME ON YOU PIECE OF !@#$ I can't believe this thing is gonna do this to me.
Anyone????

Oh and also while replacing the fuel line in the tank there was a large amount of what looks like epoxy or resin, like a sealer of some kind on the one side that was flaking real bad and floating around the tank so I scraped of the loose pieces and cleaned out the tank.
Did I cause a problem here was that sealer an important thing that could be causing problems for me?
Thanks guys for listening and giving your input.

Last edited:
Your a mechanic but you got POed because a 30 year old saw has some problems that you cant figure out? :confused:

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the IPL for the saw. Yes there is a gasket between the oil tank halves.

There is no sealer or resin in the tank you probably have old fuel varnish in it. No wonder its giving you problems.

If you really think its a POS (which it isnt) I'll pay the shipping to me. I could use a 3rd one.

Your a mechanic but you got POed because a 30 year old saw has some problems that you cant figure out? :confused:

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the IPL for the saw. Yes there is a gasket between the oil tank halves.

There is no sealer or resin in the tank you probably have old fuel varnish in it. No wonder its giving you problems.

If you really think its a POS (which it isnt) I'll pay the shipping to me. I could use a 3rd one.

Like I said I didn't get into the internals...I just walked away. Yes I am a mechanic for 20yrs now but my area of work is 4stroke car and heavy vehicle gas and diesel engines not 2cycle chainsaws. It was not varnish in the tank it was definately a sealing compound of some sort, it was a thick layer of bluish/grey epoxy. I don't know why it was there and neither does my dad who gave me the saw he has owned it since it was new. As far as the POS thing that was just my instant reaction I don't want to get rid of the saw it is a beast and I want to save it if possible.

I looked at an old Mac 10 - 10 earlier this year. I opened the gas tank and took a look. There was a lot of what appeared to be some sort of paint or a sealing compound that was not quite 100% loose kind of waving around in the fuel. Turns out that the crappy gasoline that is produced today caused the fuel tank coating to release from the walls of the tank.

Gator53, email was sent to ya.

And for the record there is no sealer from the factory in these Poulan models that I have ever seen, just bare metal.

The Ipl will probably explain some things better than I can, since I'm not the best with words sometimes.

Mark,
Thanks for the IPL it should help.
I don't know where the sealer came from it almost looked like JB weld, but my dad said he has never messed with anything in there he always took it to the dealer he purchased it from. He told me that when he took it in it would work ok for a little while then start running the same way...quiting on its side and he even said sometimes it would not even idle when set down.
Do you think I should just regasket the entire thing?
I do plan to keep her and try to get her up to par because she is a beast when the chain hits the wood.
Thanks

Last edited:
what gaskets are you needing ?
oil tank gasket could be your issue

could be leaking around that gasket
gasket part # 530019009
here it is with a picture
thanks
calvin

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/poulan-oil-tank-gasket-530019009-530-019009-fits-306a-245a.html

The oil that I was getting was actually coming rite out of the oil nozzle itself .
I may be considering a complete resealing of the saw just to eliminate the possibility of something else going wrong rite after fixing this problem.
Would you have all the seals and gaskets for this machine and what would it cost me?
Thanks

The oil that I was getting was actually coming rite out of the oil nozzle itself .
I may be considering a complete resealing of the saw just to eliminate the possibility of something else going wrong rite after fixing this problem.
Would you have all the seals and gaskets for this machine and what would it cost me?
Thanks

i probily do i think i even have the oil pump

as far as price gaskets normally are inexpensive now the pump can be little costy

Last edited:
Yep, reseal the ole girl from head to toe. It sure sounds like it was air leaking someplace if it wouldnt idle either.

Far as the oil pump, I never replaced one, just replaced the quad rings in them. Another thing, that manual pump has to be sealed and working for the auto oiler to work right. The check valve by the bar should be checked to be sure it only flows out.

If Calvin can't supply the gaskets, pm me.

i've got a 306a that i've been parting out and listing for 99 cents a whack. i can assess whats left of the actual saw as i've only listed the easily removable stuff including the gas top with the line and filter. i'd send along most any part to an AS member as part of a swap.. or just to help clean my barn!!

Mowertech,
Do me a favor put together a quote for all seals and gaskets for this machine if you have them or whatever you have and let me know what I'm looking at.
I'm just gonna reseal her like Mark said from head to toe. No oil pump though.

Thanks again to all you guys for your input.

One more thing does anyone know where I can get a service manual for the old girl?

Back