Poulan 3400 broken bearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmswilson1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok, I am a amateur. I saw this craigslist ad ( http://atlanta.craigslist.org/tls/1016445092.html ) and it seemed like a pretty good price. I asked the guy about the broken bearing and his reply was: "i was opening the chainsaw to clean it and when i wanted to put it together i broke one of the bearing and that is why i did not close it back up." Does that make much sense, can I still get a replacement bearing? should I even mess with this one?

Thanks

Willing to bet its the clutch bearing he broke.

Agree it probably is the bearing that fits on the crankshaft (clutch side) and the sprocket slips over it. Can pick them up easily. Could also be that the clutch fell apart. Doubt its the crank bearing as he'd have to split the case and I'm not sure he could break it anyway.

Is that a hard fix and about how much?

If its simply the sprocket bearing its as simple as pulling off the clutch and sprocket and replacing the bearing. The clutch has a left handed thread ( I think thats how its decribed)that you turn clockwise to loosen. You then remove the sprocket, slip the bearing over the crankshaft. Then just reassemble. If the clutch fell apart and nothing is broken you can push the spring over the clutch shoes to reassemble it. If its broken you'll need a new, probably used one, which you can find on Ebay. Don't know cost but bet it would be $20-$25.00. If its the crank bearing(cost about $6-$8) a little work is involved. Find out what he's referring to as a "broken bearing" and hope its not the crank bearing. I don't think it is as there would be no reason to split case when cleaning saw.

If its simply the sprocket bearing its as simple as pulling off the clutch and sprocket and replacing the bearing. The clutch has a left handed thread ( I think thats how its decribed)that you turn clockwise to loosen. You then remove the sprocket, slip the bearing over the crankshaft. Then just reassemble. If the clutch fell apart and nothing is broken you can push the spring over the clutch shoes to reassemble it. If its broken you'll need a new, probably used one, which you can find on Ebay. Don't know cost but bet it would be $20-$25.00. If its the crank bearing(cost about $6-$8) a little work is involved. Find out what he's referring to as a "broken bearing" and hope its not the crank bearing. I don't think it is as there would be no reason to split case when cleaning saw.

Forgot to mention that sprocket bearings are fairly cheap and am sure lawnmowertech37 would have one.

actually poulan dont make the whole clutch assembly any more it went obsolete back on june of 2008

Wmswilson
530010291 is the entire clutch assembly now they do sale individual parts for that clutch to build a clutch

the spider is what is obsolete which makes it hard to find parts new that is
the shoes are about to be obsolete as well

the spider itself is a part # 530011625 i have the clutch bearings on my store part # 530032049
the bearings are $ 4.30 each
if you want i have 3 of the shoes in stock i was about to send them back to the distributor but i have 3 shoes for the 3400 clutch brand new i will take $ 7.00 each for them
they retail for $ 9.71 each

i dont have them on my store but i have them in stock it will save me from sending them back
just let me know as soon as you can

thanks
calvin

Last edited:
Ok I did go pick up the saw. It looks ok, its pretty dirty, the recoil isn't retracting extremely hard but still works, it had a brand new chain on it though. I talked the guy down to $35. When I was talking to him he said that when he took it apart he broke one of the rings, not a bearing. The piston has two groves and one ring now. But I thought in some saws though one of the groves didn't have a ring, am I right or do I need to by a new ring? Heres a pic, sorry its crappy quality.

Ok I did go pick up the saw. It looks ok, its pretty dirty, the recoil isn't retracting extremely hard but still works, it had a brand new chain on it though. I talked the guy down to $35. When I was talking to him he said that when he took it apart he broke one of the rings, not a bearing. The piston has two groves and one ring now. But I thought in some saws though one of the groves didn't have a ring, am I right or do I need to by a new ring? Heres a pic, sorry its crappy quality.

Here is the listing for the piston ring on Calvin's site.

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&q=530024332&x=8&y=6

If it were me, I'd replace both of them.

the recoil could be the starter spring is wore out which i have oem springs in stock

ya I might replace the spring when I get it running. The service manual says when re-installing the cylinder it needs to be torqued to 90-100 pounds if I didn't get it exact would I run the chance of damaging the piston?

Last edited:
ya I might replace the spring when I get it running. The service manual says when re-installing the cylinder it needs to be torqued to 90-100 pounds if I didn't get it exact would I run the chance of damaging the piston?

Don't even try replacing the spring. Not easy at all. I'd first try to retention the starter cord. Remove RECoiL ASSEMBLY and remove two screws that hold cover Pull out a foot or so of rope. Then hook rewind rope in notch in plastic gear. Wind clockwise two or three times and you should be good to go.
Cylinder bolts are torqued to 90-100 inch lbs not foot lbs. That's about 9-10 foot lbs. I'd just sock them down by hand till they are tight. You'll need a 3/16 allen wrench.

could I do damage to the piston if it is outside the 90-100 inch pound range?

I found if you go too tight you may compromise the gasket seal and it will leak. Just snug them up tight. You may also find that you will need to make the cylinder gasket unless Calvin has some. My sources show it as backordered, which means it may never get in stock. Ther are good threads on making gaskets and you may want to look one up.

I found if you go too tight you may compromise the gasket seal and it will leak. Just snug them up tight. You may also find that you will need to make the cylinder gasket unless Calvin has some. My sources show it as backordered, which means it may never get in stock. Ther are good threads on making gaskets and you may want to look one up.

redunshee it just went NLA 7 days ago my distributor had one on the shelf i quickly added it to my cart for the next order i place hope i get a good weekend i think i also may have some on hand but this one i ordered is going to be a master copy for being duplicated with the proper size gasket paper yes i am going to do a alot of these gaskets so i can have them on hand for consumers

saves them time from trying to purchase a 100.00 tool just to make 1 gasket

yea going into gasket making business as well also been thinking of going back to school to take up outboard motor repair since i live on the ocean front almost alot of boats in my area

alot of fishing boats that use regualr outboards

so yes there is a market for that type of repair shop so i will probily be doing the whole works when i restart in a few months

I just order a ring from you, thanks a lot good price and shipping. Also, I didn't need to replace the spring I just tightened the existing one tonight and its working great.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back