Poulan 3400 carb rebuild - use the second fuel pump gasket?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btderr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The Walbro rebuild kit (K10-HDB) includes thick and thin fuel pump gaskets along with a very thin diaphragm. The original diaphragm was a thin and rubberized and sealed directly against the carb body. The new one seems to be fiberglass. Does it get sandwiched between the two new gaskets? Even using the thin gasket on the carb side, it would stand off the diaphragm by its thickness and I don't know if the saw would run correctly. If i don't use the second gasket it doesn't seem like the diaphragm will seal directly against the carb body. I'd appreciate input to avoid doing the job over again.

that is your pump diaphragm,, the fiber glass looking one with stands ethanol best,,, it goes on first then the gasket,, do not sandwich the diaphragm,, if you do it probably won't run,, hope that helps

So im' bringing this one back from the dead.

So we use two of the three gaskets. Obvious;y we use the fiberglass screen. But do we use the fiberboard or the flimsy rubber gasket with it??

I ordered my kit, just got it, and still confused. I'll gladly post a picture later, once I get it done
~Junior

OK. Just installed the hard fiberboard gasket, didn't work.
I dropped some fuel down the throat, fired up beautifully. But not on it's own.

Then I installed the softer/flimsy rubber gasket.
Same thing. Didn't work on it's own. Worked fine when force feeding.

ALSO. Was left over with a second circute gasket.... A little help with that. Normal for the kit to have two? I assume yes, with the two different gaskets for the fuel pump

Thanks,
~Junior

OK. Just installed the hard fiberboard gasket, didn't work.
I dropped some fuel down the throat, fired up beautifully. But not on it's own.

Then I installed the softer/flimsy rubber gasket.
Same thing. Didn't work on it's own. Worked fine when force feeding.

ALSO. Was left over with a second circute gasket.... A little help with that. Normal for the kit to have two? I assume yes, with the two different gaskets for the fuel pump

Thanks,
~Junior

The thicker fiber gasket (top left) works fine with the tan fuel pump diaphragm.

The two round circuit plate gaskets differ in having a fixed high or adjustable carb. It's been a while
since I did my adjustable high HDB carb. Just compare it to your old gasket, and the main nozzle
inlet hole in the circuit plate, but I think you want the straight slotted one (middle right).

It sounds like you may have used the other circuit plate, as it won't run with it blocking the main
inlet hole.

Attachments

• HDB Diaphragms.jpg
    HDB Diaphragms.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 10
Hotshot
Thanks! I did compare the circuit plate gaskets. I just double checked a short while ago, I am using the same design that came out originally. That would be the lower right circuit gasket. I accidently dropped/lost my fuel screen that goes below the circuit plate. So I cleaned off the little grim, and left the old one in.

I currently have the rubber fuel pump gasket in. I will go ahead and switch it out.

Im now thinking I might have some other issue with the fueling system other then the carb. Other then that tiny screen, i've replaced it all doing the rebuild.

Again thanks Hotshot,
~Junior

Jr,
I replaced the Walbro kit part picture, because it had non-sponsor labels in the background, so now your gasket location description is different...but you used the right one.

Back