Poulan 3400 counter vibe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not thinking I'm gonna mess with the check valve now. I did crank seal just cause they are super easy and also I forgot that I didn't pull the tank vent line all the way up so the barb is flush with the top of the tank and it idles great and runs as good as it has been. Thanks AS family for all the help.

Not thinking I'm gonna mess with the check valve now. I did crank seal just cause they are super easy and also I forgot that I didn't pull the tank vent line all the way up so the barb is flush with the top of the tank and it idles great and runs as good as it has been. Thanks AS family for all the help.

Here's some perseverance rep. Hope you enjoy the saw

ha5ybenu.jpg
pusu3eba.jpg
View attachment 275533View attachment 275534

I have been using the throttle lock the only thing I noticed when I pulled the fuel line yesterday the fuel is under pressure.

Okay so I decided to pull the cylinder today to tighten the intake gasket and I find a ring broken into two I don't think this happened pulling the cylinder but would explain not running the best so know I need a cylinder if anyone has any good ones around let me know View attachment 280172View attachment 280173View attachment 280174View attachment 280175View attachment 280176

I have two 3400's. My favourite one is pretty rough. I am a little embarassed to admit that it has a gouge out of the cylinder above the exhaust port you could hide in. It sure looks like a broken ring caused it. I cleaned the cylinder up a bit. DON'T do the acid treatment on ths cylinder as it is unplated aluminum. If you can't find a replacement cylinder and piston 3400, 3700, 3800, 4000 all fit on this saw) try this.
Clean the cylinder up a bit to remove sharp edges and put a new ring in it. You may be surprised with what you get.

The small gouge is in an area that is in the exhaust port can I square the port off

Are you talking about porting it out past the scratches? I'd run that cylinder with new rings just to see how well it runs. Get some new Caber rings from Dankidrop. That's where I got rings for my 3400CV.

Are you talking about porting it out past the scratches? I'd run that cylinder with new rings just to see how well it runs. Get some new Caber rings from Dankidrop. That's where I got rings for my 3400CV.

Technically yes it would only involve cleaning up the port to the edges of the original opening. Removing the lip

I got a 3400 not so long ago but was surprised to find that the crank bearings had quite a bit of radial play and obviously worn cranks seals (air leak). And the saw was not used that much, judging by its condition. Just a bit curious why these green Poulans are su much liked at AS.

The 3400, etc. were liked because they are a remarkably honest chainsaw and came in a neat green color. Very ecological and new age, you know. Actually, no one thought of this in 1980. No frills, but lots of basic quality. My first chainsaw ever was a Poulan 3400, bought new in 1980, 33 years ago. I went out to the shop ten minutes ago and took it out of the wood carrying case I made for it right after buying it. Put in gas and oil, pulled the choke, set the throttle, and in three pulls it was running strong and sweet. Compared to my Dolmar 5100S, the Poulan weighs more, but not horrendously so, starts easier, and looks much like it did new. Physically, it is about the same size as the Dolmar.

For those with wrist or arm arthritis, the old Poulan has a much easier starter pull than the Dolmar.

The only repair ever made was the aluminum filter cover which I somehow broke. The new cover was made in plastic and is still intact.

So this 3400 has been sitting in my garage apart all summer it would run okay and then stall so i decided to pull the top end and it had a cracked ring only problem i have now is one of the pins that keep the ring from spinning is missing is there a way to fix or just replace the piston .

Back