Poulan 3450 w/20 inch bar for 30 bucks.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogbyte

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Dont know a lot about much, and especially not chainsaws, but i figured i would gamble 50 bucks. 30 bucks is actually just what i paid for a new chain brake assembly, since this one was broke. also had to replace the pull start assembly, since it was missing, haha, but i had spare poulan that didnt work, so i robbed it for parts. Initially spoke for the saw at 50 bucks unseen, but since it took the owner a long time to get it to me, they just gave it to me and apologized. all i did was run some new gas through it and tuned the idle, thats it. was surprised that it even ran, i expected it to be a bust since the pull rope was missing ( i could just picture some guy pulling and pulling forever til it broke).

so my question is, whats been the experience with these saws? what did i buy essentially? whats it comparable to these days, or if not, why? Dont know how old it is, but from the previous owner im guessing 10+ years. not had a chance to use it on anything bigger than 6-8 inch limbs, have had it all winter. Bout to cut down a ~20inch sweet gum though this weekend, so i'll know then.

I think it may need some extra cleaning, put some gas in it last week and started it again, the throttle wants to hang a little after you release it. this video just shows it after i got it running, and my son being himself...he can see himself in my phone..:msp_biggrin:

[video=youtube;_La4qKM2Z44]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_La4qKM2Z44[/video]

Last edited:
extremely good saws.
sounds like that chain is either too tight or you need to look at the sprocket to see if it's worn. might want to read up aroud here for tuning tips.
good job on the deal.:)

extremely good saws.
sounds like that chain is either too tight or you need to look at the sprocket to see if it's worn. might want to read up aroud here for tuning tips.
good job on the deal.:)

yessir the chain was too tight, had someone else tell me the same thing.

Take a look at the cylinder and see if you got a 54cc one or 60cc one.
On sticker it might say type 3 60cc. Then again I just had one I think is a type 4 says 54cc and had 60cc top on it (thinking someone put it on there). :dizzy:

So a pic of the top of cylinder and we could tell you for sure. :msp_wink:

On that tight, noisy chain..
Also check to see if you're getting chain oil.

Looked like it's missing a chain brake.
Often times those get pulled off after being damaged from trying to run the saw
with the brake engaged (previous owners are bad to deny it or not realize it happened)
and the heat buildup can easily will damage (melt) the oiler parts.

with the brake engaged (previous owners are bad to deny it or not realize it happened)

there is only one small plastic part in the oiler. and it takes ALOT to get it to melt.

here is a pic of the sticker, not sure how to check the cylinder. you mean take off the muffler maybe?
cant say for sure if the bar is getting oil, i know i put oil in it, and its since ran out of the oil that was put in. seem to remember oil slinging off the tip when i was using it, but wont swear to it...

View attachment 288086

yeah i replaced the chain brake, all i could find was the yellow Poulan 330pro, heh, looks pretty funny now. that green and yellow will turn ya head....:msp_w00t:

here is a pic of the sticker, not sure how to check the cylinder. you mean take off the muffler maybe?
cant say for sure if the bar is getting oil, i know i put oil in it, and its since ran out of the oil that was put in. seem to remember oil slinging off the tip when i was using it, but wont swear to it...

View attachment 288086

Yours says 54cc too. I am thinking it says type 4 (not sure though my brain forgets how to read them). Just like the one I have with 54cc but was 60cc.

Take the top plastic cover off. 4 bolts, 2 on each side. Take a pic of top of cylinder. Then can tell which cylinder you have for sure.

Top of 60cc 3450 cylinder

I'll dig up pic of 54cc next.

pp5020av330060cc010_zps6fb55933.jpg

glad i took that cover off, cause it also made me think to look at the air filter, it was all oily and so was the foam covering it, they both need cleaned...or replaced all together. not sure where the oil came from or if thats normal, wouldnt think so.

View attachment 288091

thanks for the pics. now i know, plus also think i know why the throttle was slow to back off, probably from that oil all over the moving parts of the carb.

glad i took that cover off, cause it also made me think to look at the air filter, it was all oily and so was the foam covering it, they both need cleaned...or replaced all together. not sure where the oil came from or if thats normal, wouldnt think so.

View attachment 288091

no. all that oil is very very bad. probably radioactive and could probably cause cancer.
i have no problem disposing it for you and your families safety.:jester:

probably never cleaned by the previous owner.

They are an excellant saw. I have a bunch of that series and love em. They are very stout built and most parts are still available and at a reasonable cost too.
Here is one of mine:
attachment.php

I'm not real familiar with that saw pictured but I am familiar with the 3300 Poulan and 3.3 Craftsmans. They compare to a 455 Rancher Husky. I would say that saw would smoke any 290/310 Stihl thats stock. And on top of that, they are available for about the same price as the fuel lines for those saws and are real easy to take down.

thanks for the pics. now i know, plus also think i know why the throttle was slow to back off, probably from that oil all over the moving parts of the carb.

not necessarily. could be an air leak somewhere. thats sometimes how air leaks act - slow to return to idle. still wouldn't hurt to clean all the linkages up just to make sure. if it backs off quickly after the cleanup - you was right. if it still backs off slow - you was wrong.

good, im glad its a well thought of saw, i just needed one for bucking firewood and the occasional weather related action. It may get some heavy use here this summer in the yard, i have about a dozen fair sized trees that will be coming down, bout half and half sweet gum and red oak. i'll try even harder to take good care of it since it was such a good deal.

Back