Poulan 4218AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordZarkon

Reaction score
I took apart my brother's chainsaw to clean the carb. It will need a carb kit as the membranes are crackly, but my question seems dumb, but I don't know 2-strokes... on the right side of the mounted carb from the handle end, there's an air or fuel port/tube. Where does that go to? On the left, it goes to the primer bulb; the fuel line comes out from under the engine through the case, and leads to the bulb. The right side port has a fuel line tube on it (2" long) that doesn't have anywhere to go. I'm kinda lost here. Is it just air access? There's no other nipple or port that it can go on, especially with the length of tube that was on it. Any help is appreciated.

I took apart my brother's chainsaw to clean the carb. It will need a carb kit as the membranes are crackly, but my question seems dumb, but I don't know 2-strokes... on the right side of the mounted carb from the handle end, there's an air or fuel port/tube. Where does that go to? On the left, it goes to the primer bulb; the fuel line comes out from under the engine through the case, and leads to the bulb. The right side port has a fuel line tube on it (2" long) that doesn't have anywhere to go. I'm kinda lost here. Is it just air access? There's no other nipple or port that it can go on, especially with the length of tube that was on it. Any help is appreciated.
On an older saw like that, if you scroll down to the chainsaw forum you will probably get more info than you want, lol.

First off you will need to purchase a new carb. The Husqvarna 545070601 About $40.00
In my opinion don't bother with a rebuild kit or a non OEM carb.
The fuel feed and return lines go into and out of the plastic of the fuel tank. Yours are probably rotted and broken off. Off hand I'm not sure of the size.
Internet search for the routing between the carb, tank and primer bulb.
Clean the tank really well and install new fuel filter, lines and carb. Carb is usually set from the factory for start but will require adjustment.
Unfortunately the running saw may not be worth the money and labor you put into it.
You will gain knowledge and might become addicted to fixing and running 2-strokes.

First off you will need to purchase a new carb. The Husqvarna 545070601 About $40.00
In my opinion don't bother with a rebuild kit or a non OEM carb.
The fuel feed and return lines go into and out of the plastic of the fuel tank. Yours are probably rotted and broken off. Off hand I'm not sure of the size.
Internet search for the routing between the carb, tank and primer bulb.
Clean the tank really well and install new fuel filter, lines and carb. Carb is usually set from the factory for start but will require adjustment.
Unfortunately the running saw may not be worth the money and labor you put into it.
You will gain knowledge and might become addicted to fixing and running 2-strokes.
Lol, thanks, but highly unlikely. The thing is, the grommet for the fuel line going thru the body is single sized, and the tube from the right side of the carb is short, and flare like it had been mounted to something. I'll take some pics and show it. Oh, and the case underneath was filthy with old gas and oil. They didn't just dump excess fuel out of the carb straight into the case, did they?

I will have to look at mine in the morning. If i recall the the right side of the carb is the fuel connection from the tank filter. The left side of the carb goes to the smaller side of the prime bulb. From the large end of the bulb directly to the tank. Where the 2 holes for the tank are I don't recall. I would assume the hole furthest from the fill cap is the filter / pickup line hole which would be on the right side of the body but Poulan does strange stuff. Yes, excess fuel dumps right into the top of the tank, sometimes a little plastic fitting is used to keep it from working it's way out.

Just looked and the fat line from the primer bulb crosses under the carb and directly into the tank on the right side. The fuel pickup line is towards the handle on the leftish side and is the skinnier line going to the right side of the carb. Go figure.

Just looked and the fat line from the primer bulb crosses under the carb and directly into the tank on the right side. The fuel pickup line is towards the handle on the leftish side and is the skinnier line going to the right side of the carb. Go figure.
Ok, so I thoroughly cleaned the body... found the grommet where the fuel line comes up, no line there. The fuel line broke and dropped into the tank. So, I'll put in a new fuel line and filter tomorrow, rinse out the tank, too. Thanks to you and a good video I found om YouTube. Many thanks!

Back