Poulan 46cc POS!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm gona get hammered

but I have this little Poulan Pro 4218AVHD. In fact it is the reason that I am a AS member. I had another Poulan and a Craftsman that I had cut with for several years. When I had a fire both were injured and I decided to get a new saw. I got on ebay and bought this thing refurbed for $70 or so. I got it and it wouldn't cut warm ice cream. I borrowed a neighbors Jred 621 to do some cutting and searched the net till I found this site. Anyway once here I mentioned that this Poulan wouldn't cut crap, and Gary and others pointed out that it might be safety chain, I didn't even know what that was. Well I ground off the safety bars and the thing cut very well for it's size. I got a new chain from my local Stihl dealer and now it cuts like a banshee. For it's size and weight it is a great limbing saw. Depending on the type of wood it is just fine for stuff up to 6 inches in diameter. Now it is in no way a competitor to my Jred 920's or even the Makita, but it sure is handier when cutting the small stuff, the 18 inch bar and probably 10 or so pounds is a heck of a lot easier to maneuver around in the small stuff of a newly felled tree than a 19 pound saw with a 30 inch bar. For the money I am very happy with the little thing. Ok now you can start the flame thrower. JR

Wow ' They must not make them Poulans Pro the way they use to, I got PP 295 back in 1995 or 96, the saw don't have chain brake safety just a guard, I don't like that. But the dang thing always ran, a few problems after that many years..Let's see put a new chain sprocket on, new fuel line, And needs a new rope which I just broke about a month ago. I change the spark plug a many times and clean the filter after each use. But don't get me wrong this thing has not seen a more 7 cords the first 3 years that I own it, But still I use it every year just on small stuff around the farm. I have a Husky 55 for my regular firewood saw. As for Craftsman.. Well a man owes me for a job, He pays with a new craftsman saw, that he paid $150.00, he used on a couple of limbs, Well get paid or not, I take the saw at half price.''$75'' Bad mistake, I ran it for two minutes threw it back in the case.'' To much vibration'' Not for me. Love to get rid for $50.00 Maybe the wife can sell at a yard sale, I'll get me another husky or maybe a stilh.

Wow ' They must not make them Poulans Pro the way they use to, I got PP 295 back in 1995 or 96, the saw don't have chain brake safety just a guard, I don't like that. But the dang thing always ran, a few problems after that many years..Let's see put a new chain sprocket on, new fuel line, And needs a new rope which I just broke about a month ago. I change the spark plug a many times and clean the filter after each use. But don't get me wrong this thing has not seen a more 7 cords the first 3 years that I own it, But still I use it every year just on small stuff around the farm. I have a Husky 55 for my regular firewood saw. As for Craftsman.. Well a man owes me for a job, He pays with a new craftsman saw, that he paid $150.00, he used on a couple of limbs, Well get paid or not, I take the saw at half price.''$75'' Bad mistake, I ran it for two minutes threw it back in the case.'' To much vibration'' Not for me. Love to get rid for $50.00 Maybe the wife can sell at a yard sale, I'll get me another husky or maybe a stilh.

Put it on ebay It might bring 300 bucks there! LOL

I understand.. Like is said.. my saw is over 15 years old.. Don't know who made them back then...

The new one's might be a POS... :)

15 years or more ago it was American Made todays is Chinese made

poulan made some good saws such as the 3700 3400 xxv s25da 306a 245a 5200 and so on but todays are very low quality that is why they cost under 150 at walmart

and most of my poulan parts are for the older poulans

i have a old poulan that has a homelite body on it out back yes i was shocked to see that i thought i was seeing things but its a poulan saw green with homelite xl 12 body structure

Last edited:
Well i my first saw is a Poulan Wild Thing, while not so wild, i think it was a good saw to start with. I still own it, runs fine, i wouldn't cut a years worth of wood but still is fun to limb with. I think those big box store saws are fine to start with but if you get into playing with these things an upgrade is mandatory. None the less i think it was a good choice to start with something like that rather than starting with an expensive saw just to have it sit there on a shelf and collecting dust.

You could try...

If you have one of those foam filters you can put vaseline around the edges to make the dust stick instead of getting sucked in.
Not on a hi-dollar saw but it can help.
-br

Ive got a poulan pro 295 that did something like what you are talking about. then it finally quit running all together. It ended up being the flywheel key sheered off and threw out the timing. the key isnt removable like a pro saw, just cast as part of the flywheel. I replaced the flywheel with a good one. I used locktite so it will stay put. now its a good runner again.I got the saw in a deal the included a almost new husqvarna and am going to sell sometime in the future. good luck getting the poulan back running. Rick.

poulan 295

Ive got a 295 I love,replaced the 20 with a 16 and it does great.The air filters do tend to clog quick even with chips of wood instead of "dust"
Come on people,there IS other saws besides Stihls & Huskys LOL

I do have 1 stihl too...

Back