Poulan 46cc vs. Dolmar 50cc

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I ended up getting a new saw last night and following all the discussion here I decided that the Poulan was more then adequate as a limber for now and I elected to go bigger with the MS361 instead of the 5100 even though I am still sold on that saw at some point. I am going to loose the 20" bar on the Poulan on everyones advise and install a 16" 3/8 chain on that one and turn it into a nice small saw so I don't just end up parking it forever. I should be able to get some good high quality use out of it at that point. Thanks to all for the sound advise!

Trout,

Make sure what sprocket you've got on. The 46cc Poulan's that come with the 20" B&C are generally .325. You can't just put a 3/8 on it with the stock sprocket. I bought a 16" bar on Ebay for about $16 plus shipping for my 2775. Then just get a couple of loops of 20LP. The bar will have the # of drive links on it. I think it was 56.

And congrats on the 361 purchase. If the dealer didn't already put on the yellow label RSC chain, definately pick up a loop of that. What size bar did you go with on the 361?

So I ended up getting a new saw last night and following all the discussion here I decided that the Poulan was more then adequate as a limber for now and I elected to go bigger with the MS361 instead of the 5100 even though I am still sold on that saw at some point. I am going to loose the 20" bar on the Poulan on everyones advise and install a 16" 3/8 chain on that one and turn it into a nice small saw so I don't just end up parking it forever. I should be able to get some good high quality use out of it at that point. Thanks to all for the sound advise!

You did very well regarding stepping up to the MS361 for an allround saw.

Use RSC (not RSC3) in clean wood, and RMC in "dirty" wood.

Regarding the Poulan, I'd stay with .325, preferably narrow kerf - but I can't prove I am right......:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
I did go with the 20" 3/8. It has the safety chain on it right now but he tossed in a non safety for free.

Thanks for the note on the Poulan. I would have just done it. Most likely I will just stick with the .325 then.

Yes you did well. I don't think you'll regret your choice. Most people really love that 361. As long as you can part with the cash for it :jawdrop:

Back