Poulan Farm Hand not oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Poulan Farm Hand 20" chain saw and used it today to saw up a large maple tree for firewood. I noticed the chain was running kind of dry compared to other saws I have used. I checked the oil tank and it had used some oil but not very much. What can I do to make it oil a little bit more? Thanks

There are three Poulan Farmhand saws that I know of , 2775 , 295 , and 2900 . My first question is have you made sure that the oiler pickup screen in the oil tank is clear ? Second question is did you take the clutch cover , bar , and chain off the saw and run it to look for oil output ?

I haven't done anything to the saw yet, except shut it off when I noticed no oil. It is a model 2775. When I get a little time I'll take the chain off of it and clean out around the oiler and check it out. Are there any oil lines around there that I can check?

I don't think you'll see the oil line unless you remove the clutch , and oil pump . It could be that the screen inside the oil tank is clogged and it needs cleaning . Drain the oil tank and inspect the screen in the bottom before you start removing parts .

Ok Scott I'll try that first. I don't know how the screen could get clogged up because the saw isn't that old, I don't think. I did notice there was quite a bit of dirt around the sprocket, though. Is there something I can put in the tank to clean it out that won't hurt the internals?

Ok Scott I'll try that first. I don't know how the screen could get clogged up because the saw isn't that old, I don't think. I did notice there was quite a bit of dirt around the sprocket, though. Is there something I can put in the tank to clean it out that won't hurt the internals?

Yes you can use kerosene or some fuel/oil mix . Does your saw have a black muffler or silver muffler ?

Yes, I think that is it, minus the spike bar. I bought 2 of these saws at about the same time. I think I paid $30 for a Wood Shark 14" and about $40 or $50 for the 2775. The only thing wrong with the small saw was a kinked fuel line which kept it from starting. I guess the oiling is the only thing on the 20" saw, but I'll fix that. This was at a sale and everybody else had their eye on the Stihl saws and nobody even looked at these. For no more wood cutting than I do these seem to do just fine.

I've got that same farmhand saw. Given to me by my Father in Law new about a year ago. I just changed it to a 16" bar. It doesn't have the power to turn the 20" that it comes stock with. The 16" with full chisel chain is a much better set up for that saw. Cuts like crazy now.

Matt

I have about 10 chain saws of different manufacture and most of them leak oil when sitting for some time. I believe this one does too, but the other Poulan leaks gas around the cap. I'm don't think the Farm Hand is leaking oil from the cap, I think it's leaking down through the oiler. It seems that it oils more when it's not running!!

My PP220 leaked oil twice over 4 years with a full tank of oil . I recently filled the tank and tried storing it on the clutch cover side and did not find any oil leak . The saw has some kind of plastic tube inside the oil tank that is what I believe to be the oil tank vent . Do you see a plastic tube inside your tank or is the oil tank vent on the flywheel side ?

I have about 10 chain saws of different manufacture and most of them leak oil when sitting for some time. I believe this one does too, but the other Poulan leaks gas around the cap. I'm don't think the Farm Hand is leaking oil from the cap, I think it's leaking down through the oiler. It seems that it oils more when it's not running!!

You can check the o-ring around the gas cap but I think that it's most likely leaking gas at the check ball in the center of the cap . Have you cleaned the bar oiler hole and bar groove when the bar didn't seem to be getting oil ?

Well, I took the chain and bar off the Farm Hand today and run the saw with it off..no oil. I assume it is supposed to come out of the hole in the rubber grommett. I took it off and there was some oil inside and the hole in the gromett was clear, but it didn't oil. The saw appears to have the correct bar on it. When I turned the saw upright oil started leaking out near that hole. (I couldn't tell exactly because I put the cover back on). I'm going to drain the oil tomorrow and go inside the tank with a brush and some kerosene or whatever is avail.

This time I took the side cover off after draining the tank and filling it with gasoline...all I had at the time. I looked inside and all I saw was a tube with a spring on the end. It all looked fairly clean. I did notice on the side where the rubber grommett was when I took it off, was what looked like a piston, about a half inch diameter with a hole in the side of it. I wonder if that is supposed to go up and down while the engine is running. If it is, that is the problem because it appears to be fairly stuck in position. When the engine is started (with oil in the tank this time) the piston didn't move. I'm going to try to find a drawing of the oiling system on this saw next.

If it is worm gear driven behind the clutch area. It can be stripped out.
Had that on a project saw that wouldnt oil the bar. 15 min swap to put in a new one and worked great ever since.

This time I took the side cover off after draining the tank and filling it with gasoline...all I had at the time. I looked inside and all I saw was a tube with a spring on the end. It all looked fairly clean. I did notice on the side where the rubber grommett was when I took it off, was what looked like a piston, about a half inch diameter with a hole in the side of it. I wonder if that is supposed to go up and down while the engine is running. If it is, that is the problem because it appears to be fairly stuck in position. When the engine is started (with oil in the tank this time) the piston didn't move. I'm going to try to find a drawing of the oiling system on this saw next.

Maybe one of the Poulan dealers will post a drawing of the oiling system . Did you look at the parts layout on page 7 of the IPL ?

I can take a pic later in the weekend of the old one if it gets that far and nobody post it for you by then. I think I stuck it back on the parts saw.

I received the oil pump assembly today...cost less than I figured, around 7 dollars plus shipping. Now all I need is some warmer weather so I can go out and install it. Probably try to tackle that tomorrow. I guess while I have the pump out I'll try putting some oil in the tank and see if it runs out to the pump. Let you know how it comes out. Tired of having the saw apart!!

Latest posts

Back