Poulan pro 42cc wont stay running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atp_08

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. I have a poulan pro that i got for delimbing and cutting of small pieces of wood. Its about 3 months old. The issuse im having with it is that it wont stay running. It will start just fine when the choke is half out but refuses to start when the choke isnt pulled out unless you keep your finger on the throttle and rev it up a bit. Itll cut just fine, even larger logs. But as soon as youre done cutting and take release the throttle it dies almost instantly. Then i have to pull the choke out halfway to start it back up. I have to do this regardless of how long ive been using it thay day.

Any idea on where to start the diagnosis? Thanks

Hello. I have a poulan pro that i got for delimbing and cutting of small pieces of wood. Its about 3 months old. The issuse im having with it is that it wont stay running. It will start just fine when the choke is half out but refuses to start when the choke isnt pulled out unless you keep your finger on the throttle and rev it up a bit. Itll cut just fine, even larger logs. But as soon as youre done cutting and take release the throttle it dies almost instantly. Then i have to pull the choke out halfway to start it back up. I have to do this regardless of how long ive been using it thay day.

Any idea on where to start the diagnosis? Thanks
Pull the muffler, look for a burned piston. Sounds like its got an air leak.

Check carb settings as well i have worked on several that wouldn't idle at all just needed tuned.

I'd try turning Idle/T screw in (CW) until chain barely doesn't spin at idle. Then, adjust L & H screws. CCW on those will richen. These saws tend to be set very lean from the factory. H-L screws may need a special carb tool - eg: slpined, pac-man, D, Double D. Check videos on youtube for chainsaw tuning.

Hard to believe fuel lines would give up in three months. This saw might have been straight gassed or it ran lean and thus has little compression remaining. I worked on one like this two years ago. I gave up on the repairs after the cylinder cracked and parted it out.

Well i have a few things to try. I can say it was never ran without the proper oil mixed in it. Ive never messed with the carbs since i bought it new off the shelf 3 months ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My only argument agaisnt the damaged cylinder is that it still cuts great, like it should. Just dies when i let go of the throttle. It doesnr dog down when sunk into a log. But then again i dont know much about chainsaws.

Check that fuel line like stated above....after 3 months mine looked just like that after i had problems after i put it away after use.

Check that fuel line like stated above....after 3 months mine looked just like that after i had problems after i put it away after use.
That'll be the next step. I just checked the cylinder. To me it seems fine. I tried to take pictures so ill upload what i have. But it's a very small hole to look through so the camera didn't do the best

06694978ba3762df8faf7205b3b3906a.jpg

Middle
f2c0fb3988f17cd41f5038ffa5ef4087.jpg

Bottom
35f9ca477827f94d5f4906269f276c3c.jpg

Wall
316ba24762ae77e9c82bf6e1268bf68c.jpg

The pictures make the cylinder wall look pretty bad. It didnt seem bad to me when i was looking at it. But wjat do you guys think.

Well ****. Thanks guys

I've seen lots of lean scoring with these strato Poulans made after 2005....engine parts are usually more than saw is worth. Eg: Piston kit $25, cylinder $45. You've now spent $70 on a $65 saw. They get tossed into a parts box.

Well technically the saw was 160 from walmart lol

But i get wjat you're saying, not really worty fixing

Back