Poulan Pro 5020av review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with producing a 70cc saw, would be the fact the materials would have to be of exponentially higher in strength and quality. Sorry it's not going to happen at $300, 60cc's maybe.

Wasn't there some speculation that Poulan could use the 5020 platform for a 60cc saw? Maybe with a little beefing up here & there (AV & adjustable oiler)?

I'd take a serious look at a Poulan Pro PP6020AV (most likely a 6024 for marketing purposes) for $300.00.

What are the chances that Husqvarna would let Poulan make & sell such a saw?

I also noticed the husky is set up to run .325 chain. And no primer bulb. Among other differences the more I look. At the end of the day they are both 50cc saws and have got to be close on power.
The purpose of this thread isn't to state that the PP5020av is in the same class as 50cc saws from stihl, husqvarna or dolmar. But to state that it's not mail order junk from china either. My experience is that it has been a good value for me. For the guy who likes to research a product before he buys, this is my testimonial. I cut 3 large trees this weekend and the 70cc husqvarna I bought for larger wood (a used kijiji buy) quit on me and is in the saw hospital. I used the poulan pro and got the job done. If your going to be cutting 30 cord a year, buy a pro saw. If I had known how much free wood there was out there, I'd have bought the dolmar the local guy tried to sell me. For the guy doing odd jobs and cutting a few cord of firewood, this is a quality piece.
Now I just have to split and sell enough to either fix my husky or buy that shiny dolmar that's calling my name!! Lol.

While a 42 page thread is great for those that have been a member here since 2012 and kept up with it, I dont feel like spending the next 6 hours reading through one thread.

That is a long thread that goes somewhat off track. Lots of good info. When I was looking at the saw initially, I found lots of opinions from people that either saw one at the store, online or had one and hadn't used it yet.

You simply can't compare the design of a saw like the 5020 to a mag case pro saw like a ms261 or 346xp. The difference in construction, quality, power to weight are miles apart. The best homeowner firewood saw on the market is the Echo cs590. Sorry but you're out of your depth.

There have been no rumors of a 60cc Poulan saw. The 5020 is fine for light use, but it's basic design would likely not support a 60cc platform. The biggest weakness on the 5020 is the small crankshaft end, they have been known to snap off quite easily. The 5020 is what it is, a cheap homeowner saw. With that said, keep the chain sharp, the carb tuned properly and the 5020 will cut more wood than most would ever think..

You simply can't compare the design of a saw like the 5020 to a mag case pro saw like a ms261 or 346xp. The difference in construction, quality, power to weight are miles apart. The best homeowner firewood saw on the market is the Echo cs590. Sorry but you're out of your depth.

There have been no rumors of a 60cc Poulan saw. The 5020 is fine for light use, but it's basic design would likely not support a 60cc platform. The biggest weakness on the 5020 is the small crankshaft end, they have been known to snap off quite easily. The 5020 is what it is, a cheap homeowner saw. With that said, keep the chain sharp, the carb tuned properly and the 5020 will cut more wood than most would ever think..

Wood Nazi has posted several times in this thread about obtaining a 70cc class saw, Husky 570 IIRC, which unfortunately crapped out on him. He also posted that in no way was he trying to say the 5020 was as good as top pro quality saw.

The discussions (maybe random comments is a better description) regarding Poulan making a 60cc saw were here on AS. Even if those thoughts reached, or have already occurred to, The Powers That Be at Poulan, I don't see Husqvarna wanting to see another a decent & affordable (in the same sense as the 5020 is affordable) 60cc saw on the market, even from one of their own companies.

Wood Nazi has posted several times in this thread about obtaining a 70cc class saw, Husky 570 IIRC, which unfortunately crapped out on him. He also posted that in no way was he trying to say the 5020 was as good as top pro quality saw.

The discussions (maybe random comments is a better description) regarding Poulan making a 60cc saw were here on AS. Even if those thoughts reached, or have already occurred to, The Powers That Be at Poulan, I don't see Husqvarna wanting to see another a decent & affordable (in the same sense as the 5020 is affordable) 60cc saw on the market, even from one of their own companies.

I wasn't harping on WN I was simply making things clear to whomever reads this thread.

I don't know much about the 570, is this a new saw or used saw? what exactly has crapped out on it?

I didn't take it that way, Andy. I appreciate the info and opinions.
The 570 is a 70cc husqvarna that I picked up used on the cheap. I brought it home and made a cut, worked mint. Cleaned the saw, put fresh fuel and oil in. Ran it. Took it out to cut trees and it started first pull. Went about 3" into the wood and bogged. I pulled out and revved it once and back into the wood and it quit and no amount of pulling would make it go again. It's in the saw hospital. Hope it doesn't cost too much!

About the 570, it doesn't get much love because it lives under the large shadow cast by the 372. It's rated at 4.9 hp. And a little weighty. Not an issue for a weekend firewood guy. If I can get it going, I'm sure it will be the cats ass.

Chuck Norris once cut a tree with a 372 and never started the saw!

I wasn't harping on WN I was simply making things clear to whomever reads this thread.

I don't know much about the 570, is this a new saw or used saw? what exactly has crapped out on it?

I apologize, I misunderstood your post. Unfortunately the written word doesn't always reflect the intent of the writer.

Wood Nazi, let us know what the shop says about your 570. As you mentioned, the 570 seems to be a model that was overlooked......and unfairly criticized per some threads here on AS.

Update on my Husqvarna 570; went to my small engine guy and he found that a little piece of something had slightly pinched the top of the piston at the edge. Just enough to pinch the ring where it wouldn't move. He removed the ring and touched up the ring groove with a file. Cleaned the cyl and it's ready to go back together. Hope to get it back soon and get it in the wood!

Update on my Husqvarna 570; went to my small engine guy and he found that a little piece of something had slightly pinched the top of the piston at the edge. Just enough to pinch the ring where it wouldn't move. He removed the ring and touched up the ring groove with a file. Cleaned the cyl and it's ready to go back together. Hope to get it back soon and get it in the wood!

Did he carefully check the big end bearing? is the top end OEM? If the filter is intact, little somethings come from inside the saw, which isn't good. If nothing is missing I'd proably check squish clearance, and definitely flush the case.

Back