Poulan Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poulan 505

Hi
The 505 is a actually a Jonsered 2083,just a different color.
Later
Dan

yep , ive owned the 330. 260 ,and now have the 295. in my opinion they put longer bars than should be on these saws . they do this because john q public
thinks bigger is better. the 295 i got came with 20 inch bar. jmo understand... i can tell u, that with a change to 16 bar and a different chain.. it is a fine saw. subject to vapor lock in real hot weather..
but heck,, i usually oughta take a break by that time,, anyway. leave it in the shade ,for a while and shes ready again.
never had a problem in decent cuttin weather. the 330 ,actually was a cuttin fool even with the issued 22 inch bar..
the first i had blew the cluth break the firs tree i cut. this indicates to me ,,something just not done rite to begin with... its replacement was fine,a little high in the vibration department.
one other thing . if u buy from lawnstation ... tellum u insist on a bar with clear poulan pro written on it. my 295,,had a black ,reconditioned[not] pos.on it.it[the bar] can be had real cheap. say a good cold budlite.. good luck
ps any used saw is a gamble... but i guess any saw period ,,is a gamble

I agree with what Tony is saying about the 295. 20" bar is too much, needs a 16" and the saw is not bad. The refurbs that come from Lawnstation are shipped direct from the factory, so LawnStation never actually sees what they are selling you. They had to send me a replacement for the first one they sent me. Came well used as opposed to refurbed, no spark, clogged air filter, completely clogged up plug, wrong screws holding the dogs and generally scratched up pretty good. The factory has an A or B refurb grading system. Make it clear you want an A. The whole process took about 45 days to get a saw. Will I buy there again? Not likely.

Are they really the same as a Jonny 2083? I stop at the "durachrome" thing and wonder about it...

I wonder if it's cheaper to chrome plate a cylinder than Nikasil, and if the saw will have a flaky chrome bore.

just asking...

Yeah, I was wondering if they were connected to Husky or Jonsered. Are they built overseas? The saw I have a link to is not reconditioned--at least it says it's not. The smaller ones are available either reconditioned or new. They have the PP 505 (83cc) for $569.95 and the PP 445 (71 cc) for $499.05. Thanks guys.

Electrolux owns J-red, Poulan Pro (yellow), Poulan (green), Partner, Husqvarna, Weed Eater, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Eureka, Demas, and many more companies/brand names.

Poulan Pro 505 is same as J-Reds 2083 except color, & $$$.

Poulan Pro 445 " " " " 2071 " " , " " .
(445's didn't come with a Decompression valve as standard. But for the $$$ difference most didn't care.)

Actually, the PP445 isn't the same as the 2071. It is the same case as the 2077/2083 (both based on a pioneer/partner design from the time of E-lux's decision to eliminate them) but has a smaller bore: all the weight of the 2083 with a little less performance. The 2071/2171 Jonny is pretty much the same saw as the 371/372 Husky, except Husky has the big air filter (and bubble to enclose it)

Eyolf is right, should have written J-Red 2077.
Poulan Pros P445 & P505, J-Reds 2077 & 2083 used Partner's Super anti vibe system, and a few other internals.
A joining bar was connected between the front handle to the rear running along the bottom of the starter housing.
It gave more control, lower vibrations, provided a smooth anti vibe resting spot for the left leg, and kept pants-chaps away from the starter inlet holes.
2071 uses the improved 'Two Mass' antivibe design that all major companies use today.
It comes from the DOLMAR D2M (Dolmar 2 Mass) Patented in 1972 which has run out, and now everyone can use it without paying royalties.
The Poulan Pro Durachome (yellow/black)cylinder name came about for a couple reasons. One being Poulan (green) saws cylinders aren't chromed, but the piston is, which has a much lower engine life that the Poulan Pro (yellow) using chromed cylinders.
Another is there are different grades of chrome quality. When MacCulloch, Homelite, were still players, the Durachrome was the best of the those three. Gave them a sales advantage.
Proper air filter maintenance, good two cycle oil, and not overleaned carb will provide years of good service.
P445 & P505's dropped from the Poulan line over a year ago with major discounts.
I had P505's 20"/24"available for $469.
Parts easily gotten thru Poulan & J-reds. Great deal for the $$$.

i own both a 505 and a 445,these saws both have excellent power,but aint put together nearly as good as there Husky brothers.445 has been around several years by the way

Howdy- The Poulan Pro 475, a discontinued saw, was actually the Jonsered 2077's brother, with comparable performance and displacement. The 445 is a newer and smaller model using the same chassis. Saw-Man is correct about the great deals still available on these fine Poulans, Bailey's had the 505 powerhead available for $480.00 for a short time, and that's a screaming deal on a new 5.5 cubic inch professional saw.

trimmmed said:
I agree with what Tony is saying about the 295. 20" bar is too much, needs a 16" and the saw is not bad.

I have an option to pick up a 295 w/ 20" bar, spare chain and case. The 46 cc machine should be a nice fit between my MS170 and MS290. For 50 clams, I can't see how I can go wrong... Thoughts?

eyolf said:
Actually, the PP445 isn't the same as the 2071. It is the same case as the 2077/2083 (both based on a pioneer/partner design from the time of E-lux's decision to eliminate them) but has a smaller bore: all the weight of the 2083 with a little less performance. ...
You're right this time also.

The 71 cc Poulan Pro 445 fits nicely into the story of the Partner P7700 "family" of saws, and is most likely the same saw as the Partner 710, which I think could be called a "semi-pro" version of the original P7700.

There even was 65 cc versions, Partner 660 and Poulan Pro 415 or 425 (or both).

As far as I know this saw family were made in Sweden, regardless of which brand they were sold as Partner, Jonsered or Poulan Pro (never Husky).

As far as I know, the 82,4 cc version were never sold as Partner, and the 71 and 65 cc versions were never sold as Jonsered.

Last edited:
Well, I grabbed it up. Very, very clean. Buddy says it's only had 4 tanks run through it. Judging by the condition, knuckle-popping recoil, and my bud's character - I fully believe it. Starts well, idles, revs, powers through a cut quite nicely - for a poulan Pro 295...

Leather-palmed gauntlet work gloves, tool kit, and spare chain all there. Almost feel guilty. Almost. He made offer and set the price.

Hey bump take that 20" bar off that PP295. Run a 16" for them 46cc's. Open up the muffler and adjust the carb quickly. Them things come so lean from the factory, they will self destruct if not opened up and carb richened up. Watch the chain oiler. Lot of people complain about not oiling or lack of oil on the 295. Now thats a real STEAL of a buy. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back