Poulan s6000

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with them and bars like that is with the 6000 and S6000 stock, your stuck with a .404 X 8 spur sprocket because of the extreme crank diameter. There were other sprocket drums in 3/8 X 8 but they are getting hard to find.

I know a little about these, I have a 6000 plus a S6000 and had the S6000 down to bare cases to replace a crank. They are not my favorites and I'll just try to leave it at that.

View attachment 539243
Mine (S6000) runs pretty strong (I think) with the compression at about 110-115 PSI compression. I put into a large (30") Cottonwood stump and aome chinese elm and it ate rather well. I'm hopeful that a change of rings may put her close to the zone.
Is the ring change a simple task with this saw?

I still would love to have a s6000 someday but i did land a 5500 poulan which is like a dolmar 144. Strong sounding but im not gonna run it much untill i get an air filter.

I still would love to have a s6000 someday but i did land a 5500 poulan which is like a dolmar 144. Strong sounding but im not gonna run it much untill i get an air filter.
Another popular collector saw.. Pretty good power. Only 10cc less than the s6000. Plenty of useful torque. And that fantastic idle!

I know, its a big ole beast i want to put it up againt my 5200 thatd be a match to see

Wow those are sweet. I too always wondered why poulan had dolmar make those for them were they for export? Dolmars are my favorite german brand and i love poulan so there a winner to me. Also what is the difference between a 6000 and s6000?

Wow those are sweet. I too always wondered why poulan had dolmar make those for them were they for export? Dolmars are my favorite german brand and i love poulan so there a winner to me. Also what is the difference between a 6000 and s6000?

There were probably quite a few reasons that Poulan and Dolmar got together on these saws and don't forget in the same time frame, Poulan was relableing saws for Dolmar also.

I don't think Poulan was exporting any of these relabled Dolmars, I'm betting Dolmar would not have wanted that, and that they were doing it to help get there saws in the US at that time as they were pretty weak in US sales at that point.

Poulan at that time was kinda behind the times with bigger saws, they had been involved with small top handle saws and had arguably the best top handles. Poulan had still actually had some 90CC sandcast saws up to the mid 70's. Dolmar at that time seemed to be in the opposite position and was way behind in the small saw department. Poulan might have thought it would help get there sales in europe also.

Besides, who else would have been willing to deal with Poulan on a large saw in those days? My question is why Poulan just didnt come out with a upsized 5200 type saw? They would have just had to redesign a larger crankcase and such.

As for the difference between the 6000 and S6000, there is a lot of difference. The case/handle, recoil, oiling system etc is all different.

What I have found is basically the 6000 is a Dolmar 152 and a S6000 is a Dolmar 153. The only thing is the S6000 still used a 144/152 crankshaft which in my mind just ruined it as it takes the option of using a rim drive sprocket away and basically kills the saw by having to use a 8 tooth .404 sprocket which the saw just don't have the power to run.

Oooo i just noticed your 6000 has the black plastic rear handle like my 5500 has. That seems really weak in comparison bc theres like 20+ pounds of saw attached to that little handle. Kinda looks like and afterthought. And youre right i have seen a dolmar branded poulan xx hobby 100 i believe. I still want a s6000 the big one even if its a half breed. Of course you can call my boost port 655 a half breed too

20161126_090351.jpg 20161126_090400.jpg heres my 5500 its alittle rough but it does run i havent been able to really do a good cleaning on it yet. Im with you on the bigger 5200 could you imagine that series in 7 cubic inch range be unstoppable

Back