Poulan XXV (25)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVshooter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright folks, I came across a Poulan top handle and I'm just wondering what actually a fair price for it. I haven't held it yet, but I do have these pics:
168281d1294979250-_dsc0204-640x428-jpg

168282d1294979252-_dsc0206-640x408-jpg

168283d1294979254-_dsc0207-640x418-jpg

168284d1294979256-_dsc0205-640x245-jpg

Anyone?

Last edited:
I'm afraid not very much on that one...it looks pretty trashed out. I saw a better looking one than that go for around $25 on ebay plus shipping. That might be a good parts saw, however. I wouldn't go more than $10 for that one.

Not sure how it runs. Guy says it ran the last time he tried it. Came across it on the net, and I'll be in the town it's in tomorrow or Sat. He's asking $40 for it, but I think that's a bit steep.

Cheap saws are getting harder to come by around here, for whatever reason. If it runs well, I figured $25 would be fair, no more than $30.

If you buy it (or before!), check the oil tank for leaks. Dump the bar oil and fill it with mineral spirits or the like.

Gaskets for the auto oil pump are 'Unobtainum' but not hard to make.

Just finished putting mine back together tonight. Will run him in the morning.:question:

I have a DOLMAR Hobby 101 which is an orange painted version of the xxv. came for free as it didn`t run [needed new fuel lines]Fitted new fuel lines &it ran well but wouldn`t oil , needed a new check valve. As stated in another post certain parts are no longer available [check valves, &the black plastic oil pickup are NLA] odd times these parts come up on Fleebay I don`t think I would pay more than 10 euro`s/ fifteen USD`s for a running example

Pay real close attention to the av mounts, esp the one above the clutch cover. They are nla but a mount from a Stihl 009 can be made to work with just a little trimming and redrilling.

How Many Companies Sold Re-Badged Model 25's?

I have a DOLMAR Hobby 101 which is an orange painted version of the xxv. came for free as it didn`t run [needed new fuel lines]Fitted new fuel lines &it ran well but wouldn`t oil , needed a new check valve. As stated in another post certain parts are no longer available [check valves, &the black plastic oil pickup are NLA] odd times these parts come up on Fleebay I don`t think I would pay more than 10 euro`s/ fifteen USD`s for a running example

Dolmar, Remington, Craftsman, Skilsaw, Poulan. Did I leave anyone out? I've yet to see a model 25 posted that looks like mine. It has a simple "POULAN" decal on the starter, no decals on the clutch cover, and a plastic on-off switch. It is an all magnesium saw as well.

Dolmar, Remington, Craftsman, Skilsaw, Poulan. Did I leave anyone out?

Dayton and Wizard (Western Auto) as well. Allis Chalmers saws were also rebadged Poulans (with some actually being Wrights like a few of the Wizards), but I don't think they ever copied the XXV.

Your Hobby 101 is actually a Poulan Micro XXV. Different saw then a 25 series.

If you buy it (or before!), check the oil tank for leaks. Dump the bar oil and fill it with mineral spirits or the like.

Gaskets for the auto oil pump are 'Unobtainum' but not hard to make.

Just finished putting mine back together tonight. Will run him in the morning.:question:

You mean the oiler leaking, not the tank right?

Dolmar, Remington, Craftsman, Skilsaw, Poulan. Did I leave anyone out? I've yet to see a model 25 posted that looks like mine. It has a simple "POULAN" decal on the starter, no decals on the clutch cover, and a plastic on-off switch. It is an all magnesium saw as well.

Yes you left out some. LOL

Does this one look like yours?

attachment.php

Well, both really. The tank on my small Craftsman leaks at the seam/joint between the two halves.

The pump on my S25 CVA leaked for lack of a gasket over the diaphram. He's all healed up, runs, oils and sports an 18" bar.

I have never seen one leak between the case halves but no doubt it happens, its a old saw. To fix it right it has to come all apart.

Exactly

Yes you left out some. LOL

Does this one look like yours?

attachment.php

Mine currently has a 14" bar. I robbed it off my only other Poulan, a Patriot Electric saw! This saw was given to my son when he was 11. He was the neighborhood kid who would tear into any mower, trimmer or saw that came along. He's now 16 and still likes to tinker with the saws. He's my "good eyes" if you know what I mean. His go to saw is a PP 260 which is a good fit for him. Back to the model 25, I use it sparingly due to having many other saws with AV.

Mine currently has a 14" bar. I robbed it off my only other Poulan, a Patriot Electric saw! This saw was given to my son when he was 11. He was the neighborhood kid who would tear into any mower, trimmer or saw that came along. He's now 16 and still likes to tinker with the saws. He's my "good eyes" if you know what I mean. His go to saw is a PP 260 which is a good fit for him. Back to the model 25, I use it sparingly due to having many other saws with AV.

Thats all fine and good but does this one look like yours?

Latest posts

Back