Power pruners?? opinions wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daverx1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the market for a power pruner. I dont like the look of the Husky (skinny shaft). The efco PTX 2500 looks nice. I also like the look of the echo's and the stihl HT 101.

Poulin also makes one, but I am afraid it would not be up to the task and I do not know if the pole would be long enough.

There are also the combi tools with the saw heads, but once again I do not know if the reach would be long enough.

Any recomendations?? I will be using this for home use, but fairly severe. I also would like to be able to reach limbs as high as possible.

Thanks for your input!

I own a stihl ht131. Mine was a bit of a lemon for the get go but I have made a lot of money with this tool. Cost wise it would be a bit of a stretch for a homeowner. They are heavy and cumbersome to operate for an extended period. You need to be especially careful not to get the saw stuck in the cut. If you don’t own a manual pole saw (or a bucket truck), get one BEFORE you purchase a power pruner. The echo ppt-265 is reported to be the best power pruner available unit and is less expensive than the comparable stihl product but I have not had the opportunity to run the echo.

I have 6 stihl power pruners from the HT75, Ht101,131 sitting in my shop. The extendable kind. We are now done to 1, which doesnt run right, and another broke this past week. Over 5grand in buying them new and trying to keep them running.

Here are my problems with each

#1 seems to stop idling after a few months. Tried adjusting carb. No imrpovment. Still on the jobs but not fun working off an orchard ladder with it continously stalling
about 4 months old runs great for about 30secs to a min and then just bogs down.
bent shaft
bent shaft
still works but makes loud noises and vibrates like something is loose inside the pole. wont cut without shaking so we leave it at the shop
snapped male end black connector on pole end for attachment

Usually the motors last longer than the shaft. I have been meaning to put some of the older HT75 motors on the newer shaft to see if I can get some working again. The shafts/bearing are weak or maybe my guys are too rough on them, whatever be the case. I am done buying them.

I plan on picking up the echo 265, and it will be my first non stihl saw in a long time

I like my 131, but like centaur said it gets heavy after a while of use. But there is nothing it won't handle. I bought it for some really big limbs i had to get down and i don't climb and sure wasn't gonna stand on a ladder with a chainsaw. It runs a 14 inch bar easily. mostly i run a 12 inch though. It has cut limbs 16 inches across with no problem. But as was mentioned do not get it hung up on a limb, there is no way to get it out without another one or climbing the tree. I usually undercut the limb a little and it will prevent hangups.

I have 6 stihl power pruners from the HT75, Ht101,131 sitting in my shop. The extendable kind. We are now done to 1, which doesnt run right, and another broke this past week. Over 5grand in buying them new and trying to keep them running.

Here are my problems with each

#1 seems to stop idling after a few months. Tried adjusting carb. No imrpovment. Still on the jobs but not fun working off an orchard ladder with it continously stalling
about 4 months old runs great for about 30secs to a min and then just bogs down.
bent shaft
bent shaft
still works but makes loud noises and vibrates like something is loose inside the pole. wont cut without shaking so we leave it at the shop
snapped male end black connector on pole end for attachment

Usually the motors last longer than the shaft. I have been meaning to put some of the older HT75 motors on the newer shaft to see if I can get some working again. The shafts/bearing are weak or maybe my guys are too rough on them, whatever be the case. I am done buying them.

I plan on picking up the echo 265, and it will be my first non stihl saw in a long time
Wow that's a lot of bad luck. All six to go out on you.

Wow that's a lot of bad luck. All six to go out on you.

Ya well. Its the cost of doing business, but its about time to see if we can get better luck out of the echo's. From everything Ive heard from other tree care operators those who own both use both..but prefer the echo. The echo reaches higher and holds up to more abuse with its stronger shaft design, but the stihl has a more powerful motor. I need something that can take the abuse and stihl doesnt have it. Its a shame cause every other saw I own is a stihl. Now I gotta go to a different dealer, open another account. C'mon stihl step up your power pruners!

My Kombi head pole pruner works fine. There is an extension for 50 bucks, it has a very long reach. Bear in mind, it only gets home owner use: not for commercial use. My Kombi head also runs a trimmer and edger.

Stihl. The head was 200 bucks and the pole pruner was $200. It is long with the extension. I do not know how long, never measured it. I reach high and far, any longer and the thing would bend of its own weight. I use with or without the extension.

Last edited:
HT-75 here... it's been a real workhorse!

have not had any problems, but I'm real careful not to over stress shaft. the weak point of Stihl pole saws are the shaft.

have not operated an echo pole saw yet, but they look to have much beefier construction.

Echo PPT - 2400

I have an echo PPT - 2400. This has been a FANTASTIC saw!! This is a telescoping saw. Just recently bought an additional 5 foot extension for it. Other than some minor expected maintenance, this saw has functioned flawlessly.

I have an echo PPT - 2400. This has been a FANTASTIC saw!! This is a telescoping saw. Just recently bought an additional 5 foot extension for it. Other than some minor expected maintenance, this saw has functioned flawlessly.

I have a Power Pruner with an Echo motor on it. With the extra extension, this thing can get almost twenty feet long! Large diameter fiberglass pole sleeve, with an aluminum inner pole, this thing is the real deal, though the bar oil res. leaks at rest. Great little unit, though I wish it had a Stihl motor on it.

Down near rhe bottom of the page. Im kinda ashamed to say I have a Troybilt unit like that. I can hook saw right to powerhead or add extension to make it longer. :chainsaw:

wouldn't have a fixed shaft power pruner.... I'm constantly changing length.

if you are the type that abuses equipment... don't get a stihl power pruner.
that said... I've never had any problems with my HT 75. it's saved my butt many a time doing storm work.

thats a thought. see even Andy dislikes the telescoping poles from stihl and he's a stihl dealer. thats gotta tell you something.

what does he mean by carbon fiber extensions are they stihl products?

Latest posts

Back