Another pole saw question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breckinridge Elkins

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to buy an Echo gas powered pole saw. I've never owned a pole saw but I sure could have used one last year.
Echo has a few models and I am not sure why I would pick one over the other.
The PPF-2620 is fixed shaft, 8' reach.
The PPT-260 telescopes to 12' and has a loop handle, whereas PPT-260H is the same with a straight handle.
I could easily use the 12' version, unless there is a good reason to avoid telescoping tools. The straight vs loop handle has me stumped.
Do Stihl or Husky make a better tool for the same price? I have been very happy with my Echo tools over the years but I will entertain suggestions.

I have an Echo PPT-2620. Great saw but heavy (20 to 25 pounds) as are the other big pole saws. Consider the Dewalt Pole Saw 20 volt Max Model DCPS620B. I have Dewalt 20volt max battery and charger for other tools so the pole saw only cost about $139 on ebay. It comes in 3 sections, and you can leave out the middle section and still cut about 11 feet off the groud. In that configuration it only weighs about 9 pounds. Add the middle section and you get 3 more feet and about 1 1/2 pounds more. I've used mine about 6 hours on my 400 acre tree farm and I'm impressed. You get about 10-15 minutes of run time for each amp hour of battery, so a 6 amp battery is good for an hour to 1 1/2 hours.

Sorry, I forgot to follow up on this thread.
I bought the Echo PPT-2620. This is the telescoping, "loop handle" version. I haven't run it enough to master the operation or break in the engine, but I have played with it some.
My impression so far:
It runs and cuts great. I have always been happy with Echo tools and this is no exception. Like all Echo tools, I think it will need some carb tuning.
It's a big tool, and it is awkward. I struggled until I realized it comes with a shoulder strap for a reason. The tool is a lever, the strap is the fulcrum. Let the whole thing pivot off your shoulder rather than trying to hold it out with your arms.

It's stupid long when assembled, even when collapsed. I have to take the tool head and power head off to store it in my shed. I debated the loop handle for a long time. I'm still not sure it was the best choice. Every other manufacturer makes a straight handle. I don't have a straight handled version to compare it against. Honestly, I probably could have bought he fixed shaft version or even the homeowner model for my needs. I would have saved a lot of weight.

So far, I think I like it. If we have another winter like the last one it should get a workout.

Attachments

• ECHO_Power-Pruner_PPT-2620_StaticShot1.jpg
    ECHO_Power-Pruner_PPT-2620_StaticShot1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1
I have a STIHL Kombi unit and it gets used a lot, no gym membership needed when owning one of these, especially with extensions plugged in. Super versatile and reaches things others can't, so there's a tradeoff.

I've got a handle like the Darwin Grip, it's usually in the way for pole saw and hedge trimming--though not bad. For trimming grass with string or especially a 4-corner blade it's awesome. I'm tall, so your experience may differ.

Sorry, I forgot to follow up on this thread.
I bought the Echo PPT-2620. This is the telescoping, "loop handle" version. I haven't run it enough to master the operation or break in the engine, but I have played with it some.
My impression so far:
It runs and cuts great. I have always been happy with Echo tools and this is no exception. Like all Echo tools, I think it will need some carb tuning.
It's a big tool, and it is awkward. I struggled until I realized it comes with a shoulder strap for a reason. The tool is a lever, the strap is the fulcrum. Let the whole thing pivot off your shoulder rather than trying to hold it out with your arms.

It's stupid long when assembled, even when collapsed. I have to take the tool head and power head off to store it in my shed. I debated the loop handle for a long time. I'm still not sure it was the best choice. Every other manufacturer makes a straight handle. I don't have a straight handled version to compare it against. Honestly, I probably could have bought he fixed shaft version or even the homeowner model for my needs. I would have saved a lot of weight.

So far, I think I like it. If we have another winter like the last one it should get a workout.
For several years I have had two Stihl HT75 pole saws, both pawnshop finds. (The second was supposed to be a parts saw, but it was easier to make usable than the first one was!) I have gotten plenty of use out of them at home. (I'm not a tree-cutting professional.) Recently, however, I stumbled upon a Kioritz TT-24A (I've seen this saw with the Echo name on.) at a garage sale for $100. I installed a carb kit, replaced fuel lines, and thoroughly cleaned the oiler. Now it's a runner, but there's more to the story. It not only telescopes, it has an extension that's about 4 feet long! Fully extended it measures 16' 9". When it's not extended, it's still over 12' long. So, when I need the extra length, I use it. Otherwise I grab a Stihl.
20231113_162137.jpg
Both saws in the photo are at their shortest!
20230927_162150.jpg
20230927_161914.jpg
BTW, I like the loop handle. Enjoy your new saw! O

For several years O have two Stihl HT75 pole saws, both pawnshop finds. (The second was supposed to be a parts saw, but it was easier to make usable than the first one was!) I have gotten plenty of use out of them at home. (I'm not a tree-cutting professional.) Recently, however, I stumbled upon a Kioritz TT-24A (I've seen this saw with the Echo name on.) at a garage sale for $100. I installed a carb kit, replaced fuel lines, and thoroughly cleaned the oiler. Now it's a runner, but there's more to the story. It not only telescopes, it has an extension that's about 4 feet long! Fully extended it measures 16' 9". When it's not extended, it's still over 12' long. So, when I need the extra length, I use it. Otherwise I grab a Stihl.
View attachment 1127788
Both saws in the photo are at their shortest!
View attachment 1127789
View attachment 1127790
BTW, I like the loop handle. Enjoy your new saw! O
Thank you for chiming in. Reviews on loop vs. straight handle are nearly impossible to find. Man, 16ft. That's crazy. Last year after I broke my manual pole saw I duct taped a sawzall to a painter's pole with a cord tied to the trigger and I still had to climb to the top of my extension ladder to reach some branches. Needless to say the wife was horrified. If we have another winter like that I hope to be ready.

Latest posts

Back