PPE...why chaps?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I know their function....but isn't it more the upper body and face that are likely to get cut in a kickback than the legs? People here seem to represent chaps as essential PPE....maybe I'm an idiot, but I wonder how many injuries they prevent or mitigate.

If you actually look at the OSHA data on where chainsaw injuries happen most often, the left leg is tops, because the injuries occur when the saw bar hits that leg while the chainis turning. Saws also kick back into your legs at times as well. Kickback isn't restricted to trying to take your head off.

I'm sure someone will post the link to the graphic that shows the injuries by body part and number.

I got cut in the arm real bad, I lived. If you cut your femoral artery you will bleed out in a couple of minutes, put a fork in you, youre done. That is why. You are not an idiot for asking, now you know, wear your chaps.

Diesel JD said:
I know their function....but isn't it more the upper body and face that are likely to get cut in a kickback than the legs? People here seem to represent chaps as essential PPE....maybe I'm an idiot, but I wonder how many injuries they prevent or mitigate.

Statistically it seems that people hurt themselves in particular ways. These ways of hurting yourself might seem dumb, but they become more common when people are working quickly.

Left leg injuries above the knee can happen when you finish a cut, lift the saw away, and then step into the path of the saw (or loose your balance, same difference) before the chain stops. Dumb thing to do. Most accidents are dumb things.

You aren't meant to put your foot on or under anything you are cutting, but it is an easy (lazy?) thing to do. It stops the wood from rolling, or stops the chain from grounding out. Cuts to the foot and calf are easy when you do this.

You aren't meant to cut one handed with a saw. The protection in the back of the left hand of a chainsaw glove is there so that if you are dumb enough to hold a branch you are cutting and the saw skips down the branch there is some sort of protection.

I've heard of two chainsaw fatalities. A (distant) relative cut his leg and bled out in his back yard. A schoolfriend was working in a forrest in europe when the guy he was working with had a saw kick back (into his neck, I believe.) I haven't seen the schoolfriend use a saw, but a mutual friend said he now wears every bit of protection he can get his hands on. He's also now more in the tree planting end of the business.

So... I'd wear all the right protective gear, I'd understand the risks and issues (kickback, etc) and I'd cut slowly and carefully, never feeling too immortal. :^)

Why chaps?

I live a few hours down the road from Sydney, Australia.

Sydney is famous for two things, the harbour bridge, and the Gay Mardi Gras.

Someone I worked with said "Owning a pair of chaps, at least I've got something to wear (with nothing else) to the Mardi Gras!"

That old Monty Python song comes to mind "I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K., ..."

Over the years I've had two contacts between a running saw and my left leg above the knee. Pants meant I just had to clean the nylon crap out of my saw, not blood/muscle/bone!

Maybe I should invest in chaps then. I guess dealing with being hot while working is better than dealing with a severe leg cut. Femoral artery is under a lot of pressure, you're right a cut there is going to be fatal or nearly so.

injuries

one of my grandpas friends that goes by the name of "pops" is a really tough stubburn 85 year old wwII vet who was up in a tree limbing some branches cuz the tree was a little overgrown and somehow he slipped cut really deep down into his neck fell out of the tree, then wraped his neck up with a shirt got in his truck and drove himself to the hospital wich was over an hour away. no b.s. i think he is the toughest old guy i have ever seen

Femoral artery

Not necessarily fatal. The one thing you have to do is control the bleeding which agreed is pretty hard. If there's people around double up some rags and apply all the pressure you can to the wound-never let up. If you can't stop it that way you can use your belt or rope(connected together in a loop) and a stick to supply leverage. Twist it around as a turniquet above the wound till the bleeding stops. Ain't got much time though. keep in mind when you do this you WILL lose that appendage-just like cutting it off with a chainsaw. On the other hand if you cut the femoral and live you may lose it anyway due to lack of blood flow but you never know. But you'll still probably live. To help avoid all this I think I'll start wearing chaps. If anyone has a better method of living thru this please school me as I am no doctor. Of course, safe practice and being alert with any saw is assumed but unforseen things can and will happen.

Last edited:
Chaps?

We hear every body talk about "chaps" But when talking about chaps what is the opions about them from APRON chaps to PRO FOREST chaps ? The cost of the apron are about $59. and the pro forest are $89. . Does any body use the pro forest chaps is is the standard thew apron style? When i do a search for shainsaw chaps (to buy ) 95% of the time it come up apron style. What are the thoughts here on the two?

In addition-cut off appendages...

Most have heard to put that cut off finger or other on ice but note it should be wrapped preferable in clean gauze then on the ice as frozen or severly frostbitten appendages don't graft well. I've been told you can then put it in a plastic bag after rapping and then on the ice which slows the metabolism of the cells allowing the appendage to live longer without the bloodflow. Again, not a doctor. And no I have never been cut. Never hurts to think things thru beforehand.

Rspike, Some chaps(Proforest and others) have a wrap around calf protector. They cost more due to more material and billing as greater protection. As already menthioned the most common chainsaw injury is to the left thigh but calf cuts do happen. Pay your money. Make your choice.... unless your a sad European Social Engineering subject in which case the big friendly tax you and strangle your freedoms government will mandate that you wear chainsaw protective pants and never use a tophandle chainsaw on the ground because you might hurt your wittle self.

i dont use chaps. i got the scars to prove it plus the cut jeans on the left knee ...
very few i know do... but that dont mean ,chaps arnt a good idea..
best protect the legs . . most llikely time to get cut ,is when u are tired..

You've got the scars and still won't wear chaps?...No offense, but you're not the sharpest man on the stump, but lucky enough. You should go to Vegas.

not the sharpest or dullest.but i am smart enough not to post diggs .
been here long enough to know their value.
to the original poster.
use all the protection u can.

If you are going to buy chaps...get the full calf wrap. Data shows the calf receives a moderate percentage of injuries. When buying chainsaw protection the quality and level of protection should come first. Getting a deal and saving a few bucks should come second.

Rspike said:
We hear every body talk about "chaps" But when talking about chaps what is the opions about them from APRON chaps to PRO FOREST chaps ? The cost of the apron are about $59. and the pro forest are $89. . Does any body use the pro forest chaps is is the standard thew apron style? When i do a search for shainsaw chaps (to buy ) 95% of the time it come up apron style. What are the thoughts here on the two?
Well i bought the pro forest from Husqvarna in Orange and seem to fit real well and i also went ahead and bought the apron husqvarna chaps in blue that are yet to be delivered.

tony marks said:
not the sharpest or dullest.but i am smart enough not to post diggs .
been here long enough to know their value.
to the original poster.
use all the protection u can.

Who's value? You said "their" value. Diggs go were diggs is due. Have fun with em'. This whole place gets kinda' stuffy sometimes. Buy you a drink?

yep ill agree ,they just sometimes get carried to far on this forum.
as to the drink. sounds good to me. but after a divorce ,i got to drinking way more than i ever had ,so i had to swear off alcohol,to keep my new wife from worrying about it. but we ll share a coke sometime. good cutting.

Back