Premix 101: Oils, Ratios, and Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that someone would start a thread about motorcycle oil on a chainsaw forum
Does anyone really believe that two stroke oil for air cooled motorcycles is any different than for air cooled chainsaws?

I buy the generic two stroke, full synthetic, for air cooled engines, with the top (Jaso FC/FD, Iso-L-EDG, API TC) testing equally from a motorcycle store for less than 1/2 the price of the top brands from the chainsaw companies.

For more than 20 years I used Maxima Super M on my motorcycles, but they are liquid cooled. As far as motorcycle use it worked very well. With MX racing engines oil plays a completely different role because race engines get torn down re ringed or new piston installed with under 40 hours of use. Since there was always and abundance of premix with a 5 gallon bucket of oil on hand it seemed natural to use with chainsaws. With chainsaw use no problems of any kind showed up during those 20 years. Currently Lucas 2 Stroke Oil is my prime choice because it is designed for air cooled motors. Does anybody have any comments concerning Lucas Oil? There can be a problem using 100% synthetic oils and then using a petroleum based oils because sometimes they do not mix well. It seems that what ever oil that is readily available at a reasonable price is the best choice. Thanks

Excellent posting Brad. Thanks.

I have to add that Motul 800 is the cleanest burning synthetic I've ever encountered.

I used to run Royal Purple. I had carbon on the piston crown after a few tanks.

Pull a motul 800 motor apart, there's nothing but oil. The only issue is looking for piston wash with it. Can't see any.
You could run Motul 710 as the difference is an additive to keep the power valve on bike engines free

Nearly all oils purchased from primary vendors have ratings associated with them. These ratings mean there are very few truly bad oils. Maybe some are better than others and maybe not. Im not going to say do not buy an oil without a rating because Stihl HP Ultra doesn't have the latest, and supposedly best rating.

If a manufacturer feels they do not need a rating stamped on their bottle it is their prerogative to do so or not. However, if you buy only oils with the JASO FD rating on them, rest assured you are not getting total junk.

I don't know for sure but I think some of the OP could be attributed to G Bell, his book on 2 smoke prep & tuning draws the same conclusions But as this is fact in regard to performance any one who falls under the title of expert will give much the same findings.To put it bluntly that's the way it is although some people in all forms of 2 Smoke power won't believe/agree with the findings,sticking to the 50/100/1Ratio's work fine & have done for X # of years I have no problem with this as it's their machine & takes their money when it needs repairing They are quite at liberty to do it their way & I'll keep doing it mine.What does get me is the fact that some people with limited knowledge will not move from what Mr Stihl & Mr Huskvarna say They seem not to realize that providing it's out of warranty the saw manufacturers are rubbing their hands with glee as they transport big sacks of cash to the bank that have paid for new saws & parts to replace/rebuild saws that would probably still be going if the mix had been south of 40/1. Never mind each to his own

For more than 20 years I used Maxima Super M on my motorcycles, but they are liquid cooled. As far as motorcycle use it worked very well. With MX racing engines oil plays a completely different role because race engines get torn down re ringed or new piston installed with under 40 hours of use. Since there was always and abundance of premix with a 5 gallon bucket of oil on hand it seemed natural to use with chainsaws. With chainsaw use no problems of any kind showed up during those 20 years. Currently Lucas 2 Stroke Oil is my prime choice because it is designed for air cooled motors. Does anybody have any comments concerning Lucas Oil? There can be a problem using 100% synthetic oils and then using a petroleum based oils because sometimes they do not mix well. It seems that what ever oil that is readily available at a reasonable price is the best choice. Thanks

I've been running Lucas at 40 to 1. I just had a saw ported and when I asked the builder about the insides he said looks good, just keep doing what you're doing.

I don't know for sure but I think some of the OP could be attributed to G Bell, his book on 2 smoke prep & tuning draws the same conclusions But as this is fact in regard to performance any one who falls under the title of expert will give much the same findings.To put it bluntly that's the way it is although some people in all forms of 2 Smoke power won't believe/agree with the findings,sticking to the 50/100/1Ratio's work fine & have done for X # of years I have no problem with this as it's their machine & takes their money when it needs repairing They are quite at liberty to do it their way & I'll keep doing it mine.What does get me is the fact that some people with limited knowledge will not move from what Mr Stihl & Mr Huskvarna say They seem not to realize that providing it's out of warranty the saw manufacturers are rubbing their hands with glee as they transport big sacks of cash to the bank that have paid for new saws & parts to replace/rebuild saws that would probably still be going if the mix had been south of 40/1. Never mind each to his own
Great info on this thread (minus the bickering of course). I was wondering the whole time reading this thread why if a 32:1 ratio is so much better why does my manual, and seemingly every other saw manual recommend a 50:1? Is it really a scam by "big chainsaw" to wear out saws after the warranty, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure there is also some marketing involved too, consumer sees 50:1 on the saw or oil bottle and naturally assumes that it's better than the one that says 32:1. Whatever the reason reading this thread has changed my mind and I'll be switching to 32:1 or at least 40:1.

As to the ones that say "I've been running 50:1 or whatever and I've never had a problem" I say I've never been in an accident and needed my seatbelt, should I quit wearing it? Sometimes change is good.

Anyone here ever ran a saw long enough that the engine dies a natural death? Anyone ever notice that a saw on 1:40 lives longer? Of course I am speaking of unmodded saws.

Great info on this thread (minus the bickering of course). I was wondering the whole time reading this thread why if a 32:1 ratio is so much better why does my manual, and seemingly every other saw manual recommend a 50:1? Is it really a scam by "big chainsaw" to wear out saws after the warranty, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. .

Yes lots of folks believe crazy stuff like that. I'm glad you choose to wear a seatbelt, I have friends that refuse to wear one because seat belts are well known killers.

Great info on this thread (minus the bickering of course). I was wondering the whole time reading this thread why if a 32:1 ratio is so much better why does my manual, and seemingly every other saw manual recommend a 50:1? Is it really a scam by "big chainsaw" to wear out saws after the warranty, it certainly wouldn't surprise me. I'm sure there is also some marketing involved too, consumer sees 50:1 on the saw or oil bottle and naturally assumes that it's better than the one that says 32:1. Whatever the reason reading this thread has changed my mind and I'll be switching to 32:1 or at least 40:1.

As to the ones that say "I've been running 50:1 or whatever and I've never had a problem" I say I've never been in an accident and needed my seatbelt, should I quit wearing it? Sometimes change is good.
The other factor to the story is to do mainly with the US laws/regs on emissions the relevant Gov dept wanted to cut down on smoke & exhaust emissions so the manufactures achieved this by going North with the oil/fuel ratio. 50/1 seemed the magic number. Now they are trying to phase out 2 smokes altogether, which they have succeeded in doing in the Motorcycle Road & Moto X Racing the Moto GP classes are now all 4 stroke Shame really as back in the day a 500cc GP 4cyl 2 stroke was producing similar power at the rear wheel as a 1000cc 4 pot 4 stroke I read somewhere that if all the chainsaws in the US were run/used at the same time they would produce about the same pollution as a couple of 747's taking off from JFK airport if as many people ran saws as there are airline passengers. We would possibly get treated more fairly

The other factor to the story is to do mainly with the US laws/regs on emissions the relevant Gov dept wanted to cut down on smoke & exhaust emissions so the manufactures achieved this by going North with the oil/fuel ratio. 50/1 seemed the magic number. Now they are trying to phase out 2 smokes altogether, which they have succeeded in doing in the Motorcycle Road & Moto X Racing the Moto GP classes are now all 4 stroke Shame really as back in the day a 500cc GP 4cyl 2 stroke was producing similar power at the rear wheel as a 1000cc 4 pot 4 stroke I read somewhere that if all the chainsaws in the US were run/used at the same time they would produce about the same pollution as a couple of 747's taking off from JFK airport if as many people ran saws as there are airline passengers. We would possibly get treated more fairly
Great point about the EPA. It is a real same about 2-stroke bikes, I have an "02 KTM EXC-250 and a '91 CR-125. Those little 125s have some much character! Absolute blast to ride.

Anyone here ever ran a saw long enough that the engine dies a natural death? Anyone ever notice that a saw on 1:40 lives longer? Of course I am speaking of unmodded saws.

When we ran Stihl's in the money making logging we ran a couple of saws for very close hours for 2 years, one on Stihl Ultra at 50/1 & "tother" on our own oil that we have used the last 8 years at 32/1, on stripping the 50/1 the bottom end was dry with signs of wear in the bore approx 6 thou over the part were the piston didn't run+ some ring wear.the crank bearings & seals were on their way out. The 32/1 the bottom end was oily wet the bore had approx 3 thou wear & the rings showed no visible wear, bottom end was reassembled with original bearings & new seals the piston /cylinder were just reassembled & the guy who bought it from the dealer we traded it in to was still working it hard 3years later using Ipone oil at IIRC 35/1

Nearly all oils purchased from primary vendors have ratings associated with them. These ratings mean there are very few truly bad oils. Maybe some are better than others and maybe not. Im not going to say do not buy an oil without a rating because Stihl HP Ultra doesn't have the latest, and supposedly best rating.

If a manufacturer feels they do not need a rating stamped on their bottle it is their prerogative to do so or not. However, if you buy only oils with the JASO FD rating on them, rest assured you are not getting total junk.
Some of the small independent oil company's/blenders cannot afford the cash for the Jaso etc. test I understand some years back it cost $75,000.The oil we use has no rating but we know the company has checked & tested most if not all the FD rated oils to see what "ingredients"they contain & brew theirs accordingly

Run chainsaw oil in your chaimsaws.
Run bike oil in your bike.
Could you point me in the direction of the differences between the oil for bikes/ saws. I always was under the impression that 2 Smoke oil was either for air or liquid cooled motors & either premix or injection some suitable for more than 1 use. in variations between straight mineral & 100% synthetic

Could you point me in the direction of the differences between the oil for bikes/ saws. I always was under the impression that 2 Smoke oil was either for air or liquid cooled motors & either premix or injection some suitable for more than 1 use. in variations between straight mineral & 100% synthetic
They will both work in a saw ,but most of the bike oils i have tried are overkill and do not fully burn though compared to a saw specific oil ,they are too thick ,that is why teardowns people show with bike oils have soaked pistons ,and clean spots on the pistons ,even wet muffler cans ,the bike oils are made for an engine that put out a lot more power than a saw ,what is a bike 45-60 hp ? A saw may be 5-9 tops ? I did not really kick in to me till i noticed the performance loss when i ran bike oil in my weedeater ,It makes more power with a oil made for power equipment than the bike oil ,Tunes out way better also ,as do my saws .Unburnt oil out the exhaust is wasted energy resulting in loss of performance .

They will both work in a saw ,but most of the bike oils i have tried are overkill and do not fully burn though compared to a saw specific oil ,they are too thick ,that is why teardowns people show with bike oils have soaked pistons ,and clean spots on the pistons ,even wet muffler cans ,the bike oils are made for an engine that put out a lot more power than a saw ,what is a bike 45-60 hp ? A saw may be 5-9 tops ? I did not really kick in to me till i noticed the performance loss when i ran bike oil in my weedeater ,It makes more power with a oil made for power equipment than the bike oil ,Tunes out way better also ,as do my saws .Unburnt oil out the exhaust is wasted energy resulting in loss of performance .
Thanks for your reply, Working with & servicing saws for a hopefully a money making company working processing wood for the last 25 or so years, during that time we have used a good number of brands of mix oil among them Motul 710/800, Ipone Samurai, Castrol A747, Mobil MX1,+ other bike oils, I have not experienced the problems you have with a mixing at 32or35/1. The small blending company that we now get our oil from although not Jaso ratified has checked etc. the "ingredients" of other oils & blended a "brew" which they think suits us the best, one of their findings is the viscosity of Bike /Saw oil is very similar so your statement that bike oil is to thick in my use has not made any noticeable difference. I have always understood that for combating oil failure Castor base stock was the best but to quote it's a "Dirty" oil,this being R40/50.so that's fairly thick. Using Ipone oil we did not have any of the problems you experienced, & the Mobil oil left the motor internals the cleanest I have come across I must also add that our Fallers would notice any differences in saw performance in fact our most experienced guy to quote him "I'd know if a fly landed on the chain"& Iv'e had no adverse comments.

Back