preserve this willow?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I see whats been done as a waste of tax money, and I hope your business is incorporated for your own sake. Also, I find your nonchalant manner and jest about "the prop is just a "prop" quite disturbing.

Its not your tax money so dont worry about it!

OTG do whatever you want with MY tax money I trust you! :biggrinbounce2:

I have some questions. :hmm3grin2orange:

In the pic with the money in the slot it sure looked rotten hollow, so ...

How hollow?

Is there any heartwood left?

And, did you get it tested or seen to by a termite guy? Do you get termites in trees there?

If you work in the council, could you not call on the engineers dept to design a suitable prop?

What you have is this, the prop actually designed assuming all the force presented is directly down the axis of the prop. WRONG. :laugh:

When/if this tree fails it it will most likely hinge on the roots marked in the yellow circle and fall as shown by the yellow arrow. That will simply push your prop over to the right and flatten it. :laugh:

The red shows a prop a 90 degrees to the vector angle of the fall, the same way you'd be standing there trying to push the tree back up. ;) The yellow long line from the ground shows the lean and weighting (axis).

You'd best have 2 front poles at angles as the tree most likely will fail in wind and sway about, the third pole at the back would be to strengthen and stabilize the prop.

Your prop is fundamentally flawed and I would stick it into the council big time if there was an injurious failure ... especially if the council has an engineering dept and the lawyers read this post. :hmm3grin2orange:

The prop would have to be designed in accordance with wind loading engineering factors, leverages calculated. Most towns have an engineering wind code and safety factor so straw houses aren't built in tornado alleys.

See my pic.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Obviously you haven't read the entire thread:notrolls2:

What I find disturbing is people who come on here and post the same stuff thats already been posted 10 times in the thread.

Yeah, I just skimmed the thread. Cry me a river...:cry:

great thread

Thanks for keeping us updated and in the loop on this tree OTG . The responces have been very educational for myself.
Not passing judgement just trying to learn.. Why did you not cut the tree back to a point where falling over was all but impossible. I have seen a few cut back to 10' to 15" stumps. Within a year they look like big ethitically pleasing willow balls.

Thanks for keeping us updated and in the loop on this tree OTG . The responces have been very educational for myself.
Not passing judgement just trying to learn.. Why did you not cut the tree back to a point where falling over was all but impossible. I have seen a few cut back to 10' to 15" stumps. Within a year they look like big ethitically pleasing willow balls.

Thanks. The long term plan is to get it reduced to that. I will keep this thread updated as needed.

I go on vacation and miss the :angry: :angry2: war! :cry: :cry:

Latest posts

Back