Price of a straight gassed 395?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When buying a non running saw remember to look at the cost that a shop would charge to repair it. $250 for a P&C off of saw that would be $500-600 in excellent condition isn't a good deal. For a straight gassed saw a shop is going to charge for more than just a P&C.

shop will charge 500-600 depending on theyre labor rate

SOunds like the old guy is sentimental and the kids aren't. The kids would take $100 easily for it. The Old guy - Selfish - would try to get you for every dime he can.

This is what happens when people have a Love affair with their stuff. LOL.

have you spoken at length to the elderly gent? i think you need to feel him out for his reasoning. if this is an older person who is really attached to the saw as a connection to something he used to enjoy doing, i would not do an end-run to the family just to get my hands on the saw. leave him be and let him hang on to his memories. maybe you can offer to come help with some sawing for him. i know that as my dad aged and became unable to do the physical activities he had enjoyed all of his life, he still liked to hang-out and watch and give advice as he saw fit. these things have a way of working out for the better.

as to what to offer; i think OEM cylinders are $250 from Bailey's. Figure another $100 for the piston and rings. aftermarket BB kits can be had for $130. i would tell them you want to pull the muffler and have a peek at the cylinder. this can give you an idea of some of the cost to expect. it is not fool-proof though. if it will need p&c, i would offer $125. if the p&c look passable, $175-200 might be ok. you still don't know about the bottom-end.

BTW, why are you asking us for advice? you are the genius!!!:greenchainsaw:

SOunds like the old guy is sentimental and the kids aren't. The kids would take $100 easily for it. The Old guy - Selfish - would try to get you for every dime he can.

This is what happens when people have a Love affair with their stuff. LOL.

Around my area,"the old guy" is the one who spent "his" money to buy the saw in the first place.You call him selfish,I call him sensible.His kids, most likely, will take the money for their own use (new tattoo,cell phone minutes,beer,any number of the new "essentials") and he gets nothing out of the deal.I've seen this happen a few times now,it really burns me up.
In a case like this,I would deal with the actual owner of the saw.Leave the others out of it.

Around my area,"the old guy" is the one who spent "his" money to buy the saw in the first place.You call him selfish,I call him sensible.His kids, most likely, will take the money for their own use (new tattoo,cell phone minutes,beer,any number of the new "essentials") and he gets nothing out of the deal.I've seen this happen a few times now,it really burns me up.
In a case like this,I would deal with the actual owner of the saw.Leave the others out of it.

Slow down the bus here for a minute, I have all those essentials you speak of and I didn't sell my daddy's saw to get them!

All kidding aside, you make some very valid points. I would try my hardest to deal directly with the owner if he still has his full sense package intact.

Last edited:

This is why Estate sales exist. people hold on to stuff that is non functional for their lives till they die. Then their family dumps the stuff and we CAD'rs get great deals. Why? Because the kids are not EMOTIONALLY attached to what Mom/Dad spent on an item. THAT IS A LOVE AFFAIR (SELFISH) with your STUFF.

Why not move the STUFF and let someone else reap a Benefit. If you aren't going to do anything but hope and pray one day, then get rid of it. Pack Rats abound. I Love cleaning out their garages for free when they die. I get great items I can use.

So, hmmm, in death, the still get NOTHING out of the deal...

Bark if you want. The facts remain the same.

Bark if you want. The facts remain the same.

And what are the facts in this case,I don't know all the details,do you?Did one of these "kids" straight-gas the old man's saw and ruin it for him?Is the old man dealing with a bunch of "crack-heads" that need a few bucks?
My position is "Deal directly with the owner" and leave the others out of it.

And what are the facts in this case,I don't know all the details,do you?Did one of these "kids" straight-gas the old man's saw and ruin it for him?Is the old man dealing with a bunch of "crack-heads" that need a few bucks?

We shall wait and see shant we?

These are the specifics I read however

What I know about this saw is what I said. This saw is owned by a old-timer who does not want to get rid of it, even though he hasnt cut with it for over a year.

Selfish. Is my assessment.

Last edited:
Well,if the saw was straight-gassed doesn't it stand to reason that he hasn't cut with it for over a year.A saw in that condition won't cut for him or anyone else.
It will be interesting how this plays out.
I have a sled that I haven't used for over a year,no good sledding conditions lately,but I think I'll keep it around anyway.Call me selfish..........

Well,if the saw was straight-gassed doesn't it stand to reason that he hasn't cut with it for over a year.A saw in that condition won't cut for him or anyone else.
It will be interesting how this plays out.
I have a sled that I haven't used for over a year,no good sledding conditions lately,but I think I'll keep it around anyway.Call me selfish..........

Different scenario, till you get to year three and have had great snows and still ain't using that sled. LOL.

Are you saving it for your grandkids??? ;)

I'd love to see how it plays out as well. I got to use my newly acquired iffy acting (at first) 394XP on some Oak yesterday. Cut it like the oak was cardboard. WOWEEE!!! LOL.

have you spoken at length to the elderly gent? i think you need to feel him out for his reasoning. if this is an older person who is really attached to the saw as a connection to something he used to enjoy doing, i would not do an end-run to the family just to get my hands on the saw. leave him be and let him hang on to his memories. maybe you can offer to come help with some sawing for him. i know that as my dad aged and became unable to do the physical activities he had enjoyed all of his life, he still liked to hang-out and watch and give advice as he saw fit. these things have a way of working out for the better.

:

No, I have not talked to the old man, I have been talking to his son, and grandson who is a good friend of mine. The old man is about 90, but has real bad dementia (sp?) and he thinks he is 20. As far as I know the last time he ran it he got his hand caught in the chain and did a number on his hand. And I am guessing that is the same time he straight gassed it.

Funny story, my friend is the one who always has to go out with him when he cuts wood and the old man is so particular about the size of the logs, and I guess if my friend is going to make a cut and it is not in the exact spot he will reach down, grab the bar while in the wood and move the bar to were he wants the cut to be made. (no wonder he got his hand wrapped around a chain)

No, I know that is not the case, I know the family very very well, they are nothing like that. The old man just has dementia and thinks he is younger than what he is. He still lives on the farm with his wife who has worst dementia than he does. It is actually very sad. Thankfully all his kids live within a mile from him so someone stays with them 24-7. I go to church with all of them, the old man and all his kids and their familys. I think it is more the kids that dont want to sell it because they know how much that saw ment to their father.

I would rather deal with the kids, I know they have the best interest of their father in mind, and I also know the old man does not know who I am. I grew up with his grandson and was great friends with him growing up so by that I got to know his parents. But it was just in the past 5 years that I joined the church and met the rest of the family and the old man. So being he has bad dementia as far as he knows I am just someone wanting to buy his "pride-and-joy" So I would rather deal with his family.

Maybe the family should just let grandpa keep his saw. Seeing as how it doesn't run, he can't hurt himself with it, and I'm sure that just seeing it brings back lots of good memories for him. Seems like a small price for a little ray of sunshine in his life at this stage of the game.

Latest posts

Back