Pro Mac 610

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon1212

Riff Raff Fart Knocker from other Forum's.
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am new to this well of information and humor, and I am seeking some advice/ opinions. I have an opportunity to pick up a Pro Mac 610 for the cost of a decent dinner(not the dinner with my 6 kids, just the wife and I).
I know that parts may be an issue down the road, but I really don't plan on using this saw as a regular cutter. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jonathan

Hello All,
I am new to this well of information and humor, and I am seeking some advice/ opinions. I have an opportunity to pick up a Pro Mac 610 for the cost of a decent dinner(not the dinner with my 6 kids, just the wife and I).
I know that parts may be an issue down the road, but I really don't plan on using this saw as a regular cutter. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jonathan

Run a search about those saws on here.

Wait....then again don't. They aren't a very well liked saw around here, but I do like mine, it's a good old saw, but then again it's about the most modern saw I have, only one of 2 with AV, and the only one with a chainbrake. It's a trusty saw with plenty of power to pull a 20inch full comp b/c.

If it's in good physical and mechanical condition with a bar and chain anything under $50 ain't a half bad price, but can be had for cheaper or even free if you are patient in your search.

What you will read about them in your search, though, is boat anchor, weak oiler, cinder block, ugly, obsolete when it came out.

You will also find people who like them, and I am one of them.

Chris

Hmm, 3 kids and wife eat cheap. Me and wife alone, I'm thinkin' KMS-4 prices!

They're entertaining if you hew to Macs and for the right price ($50 or less) it'll cut wood and give you a workout without the gym membership.

I picked up one for $20 and spent another $15 on a side cover with the complete chain brake mechanism. It is badged a Montgomery Wards so a little darker yellow but still a pm610.

I sold mine for around $50 and doubt if I'll ever have another one. I can't put my finger on it exactly but I just never liked it much. I'd much rather have a 10-10 or something of that type and they can be had for the same price, or cheaper. I bought my last Pro Mac 55 with 24" bar for $20 in good condition and running.

The first saw that I bought with my own money was a 610 in 1981. I was 15. That saw cut 100's of cords of firewood and all kinds of other cutting. It still sits in my shop ready to go. Every nowandthen I fire it up and cut a little. The sound still gets to me. They aren't fast or light, but they are reliable and get the job done. I wouldn't recommend one, but I won't condemn one either. It is one of the most sold models of saws out there, parts are cheap and easy to come by, and they don't require much maintenance. Buy it just for the exhaust note.

Thanks for all the info, based off the input I believe I'll pass on this one since my 288XP provides the workout and the horsepower. Although the bright yellow color of the Mac would make it easy to find without turning the lights on in the shed.
Dang it all, I was ready to pass and then jerry had to play the nostalgia card, well I guess I'm back on the fence.

Last edited:
Once I find a set of falling spikes mine will be complete and will be used mainly for a loner saw, I have nightmares about what people would do to my Stihl's while I'm not looking. With the 610 I would be mad if it was destroyed but I would get over it.

I still would be surprised if anything less than running straight gas destroys that saw... they are probably one of the most reliable saws out there. (with some care and maintaining, of course) IMHO, they are a good saw, not worth more than 45-50 bucks though. Just too common. Hope you like running the saw! :cheers: BTW, you can run a 28" bar with skip chain, I have heard of many others on this site doing so with no problems. :) Lots of torque in these saws.

The first saw that I bought with my own money was a 610 in 1981. I was 15. That saw cut 100's of cords of firewood and all kinds of other cutting. It still sits in my shop ready to go. Every nowandthen I fire it up and cut a little. The sound still gets to me. They aren't fast or light, but they are reliable and get the job done. I wouldn't recommend one, but I won't condemn one either. It is one of the most sold models of saws out there, parts are cheap and easy to come by, and they don't require much maintenance. Buy it just for the exhaust note.

That said, this saw could be the reason Macs get such a bad rap from non enlightened individuals. Heavyweight saw with low p-w ratio.

That said, this saw could be the reason Macs get such a bad rap from non enlightened individuals. Heavyweight saw with low p-w ratio.

I will have to say you are right my 10-10 is stronger and has 6 less cc, but what is the point of CAD if not to collect all types of chainsaws including the heavy and under powered ones. Might be a good saw to practice your first port and polish and MM without too much worry of destroying it.

I will have to say you are right my 10-10 is stronger and has 6 less cc, but what is the point of CAD if not to collect all types of chainsaws including the heavy and under powered ones. Might be a good saw to practice your first port and polish and MM without too much worry of destroying it.

You're preaching to the choir Jim. I'm agreeable :msp_flapper:

Hmmmmm,

Another thread bout 610's. Amazing. This one was free.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

These saws can be summed up as follows;

Built like a tank,
Heavy as :censored:
Ugly as Sin,
Great ole saws.

:deadhorse:

Can't beat free, I think I have about $ 35 into my Montgomery Ward 610 and I'm still looking for a set of felling spikes and hardware.

Back