Problem with my new 261cm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've ever had any issues with my 261, I rarely let them idle unless of course I've worked it real hard but I do most of my cutting in the winter. My 661 I have had issues with in the warmer temps though, that saw produces a lot of heat, and doesn't like it either. Fine with me as I don't like heat either.

I don't think I've ever had any issues with my 261, I rarely let them idle unless of course I've worked it real hard but I do most of my cutting in the winter. My 661 I have had issues with in the warmer temps though, that saw produces a lot of heat, and doesn't like it either. Fine with me as I don't like heat either.
Keeping those cylinder fins clean on the 661?

Choked up exhaust has been talked about being a problem for longevity, power available, and start or restart. That's in screwdriver tuned or autotune. My 661 c was cylinder ported and the exhaust can empteed. Was not quite enough. I opened up the port, and drilled a lot of 3/32" holes in the cover. Starting is ez now. Choke, fire, allow to idle up to half a minute prior to WOT milling,allow 20-30 second cool down idle and no problemo to restart.
Your mileage may vary as my saw is within a couple hundred feet elevation difference and has hadabout 15 tanks of fuel run thru.
Good luck, best wishes

I picked up the saw from the dealer this afternoon. They can't duplicate the issue. I think it's cause their at 4200 ft and I've been cutting above 9000. Also they probably didn't get it very hot then let it sit as long as I did.

I'm going out in a week or so, hopefully no issues. On the plus side the dealer said if the saw keeps acting up they'll swap it for a new non Mtronic 261 and set the carb for high elevation.

Speed's....?

Choked up exhaust has been talked about being a problem for longevity, power available, and start or restart. That's in screwdriver tuned or autotune. My 661 c was cylinder ported and the exhaust can empteed. Was not quite enough. I opened up the port, and drilled a lot of 3/32" holes in the cover. Starting is ez now. Choke, fire, allow to idle up to half a minute prior to WOT milling,allow 20-30 second cool down idle and no problemo to restart.
Your mileage may vary as my saw is within a couple hundred feet elevation difference and has hadabout 15 tanks of fuel run thru.
Good luck, best wishes

That was 90% of the reason I opened up the muffler on my 661, to expel as much heat as possible. I don't have any issues with cold starts, and may be my fault on the hot start issue.

Took my new 261cm to the mountains today to cut a load of wood. Everything started well but when I stopped after 40 min or so to sharpen my chain I had a hell of a time getting the saw started again.

Since the saw was hot I tried starting in the run position. It would idle for a second or two then die, if I touched the trigger it would die. So I tried switching down to the start position. It would idle up and down then when I hit the trigger die. Finally after 15 min or so I got the saw started and cutting.

Needless to say I'm a little pissed. Heading to dealer in morning. Oh and I'm using 91 octane non ethanol and the Stihl synthetic oil. Any ideas?

Took my new 261cm to the mountains today to cut a load of wood. Everything started well but when I stopped after 40 min or so to sharpen my chain I had a hell of a time getting the saw started again.

Since the saw was hot I tried starting in the run position. It would idle for a second or two then die, if I touched the trigger it would die. So I tried switching down to the start position. It would idle up and down then when I hit the trigger die. Finally after 15 min or so I got the saw started and cutting.

Needless to say I'm a little pissed. Heading to dealer in morning. Oh and I'm using 91 octane non ethanol and the Stihl synthetic oil. Any ideas?
did u get the issue fixed?and what did you do ?? mine did the same thing a few days ago & I switched fuel I read that you should open the gas tack to vent the fuel.luckily, started with no issued yesterday

My 661c start sequence ,when conditions change, is to start, allow to run for a minute. Shut down, refuel and restart in run position, operates excellent after that internal adjustment to air conditions. That works for me in milling. Internally the carb control may need to reset to read the new air right. (Voodoo 2 me 2) What worked at lower temp or altitude doesn't work here so adjusts to in that way?
As the 661 burns more tanks it has become a 2stroking bear.
Good fortune

Latest posts

Back