Problem with the 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I went out to mill a large pine yesterday with my Stihl 066.
I had the 28" bar on and made two cuts through the son of a pitch then proceeded to change the bar and chain to begin ripping.
When I popped the side cover off, the bar, bearings and rim sprocket fell off the saw.
The C clip and washer were missing from the shaft!
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced any problems with the C clip getting tossed off the shaft on Stihl saws?

Hi Kevin, I have pictured below two types of washers that are found on all current model Stihls with the outside rim. The one on the left is better as far as clip removal, but doesnt retain the clip as good. The one on the right is thicker and because of the recess, makes clip removal difficult which can cause damage to the clip. The washer on the left is as thick as a dime and is punched out of thin metal, while the one on the right is turned and is as thick as a silver dollar. I havent witnessed breakage before except when I damaged the clip myself.
John

I would almost have to think that the clip was not seated all the way into the groove. I have broken a clip or two but you notice this right away as they are somewhat brittle and snap completely in half. I have many of these little buggers still richoceting arond my shop...I call them noseeums.

Back