Problematic MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I mentioned it earlier, but this only showed up after I removed the baffle in the muffler and further opened it up. I have another muffler to throw on to test that, but am unwilling to leave it that way. It improved performance. We just have to find a way to work around it.

my guess - you have an imbalance in the system. Since you have exhaust opened up so much. So doing max flow and getting more air in will fix imbalance.

Or

you keep the same stock air filter setup and correct the imbalance by going back to a more restricted muffler. ie with a baffle and not as big of a exit port.

Just because you can tune it out with a regular carb...I don't think means it (the imbalance) shouldn't be corrected.

in other words - if you have that much going out and it needs that much L to tune it, ...maybe instead of just tuning it out we WANT more air coming into the system.

fyi - i fixed the idaho saw by doing this. It had half the baffle cut out and a huge exit port. I put a stock muffler back in, did the reset, it took about 2 tanks but the bog went away. I then tried the 7/8" opening muffler and never had a problem.

I had the same problem with morparmyway's muffler when i tested it... which is opened up gigantic. But he has countered it with more air flow into the system via his air filter/ max flow filter mod.

This is why I think the 7/8" diameter hole is as large as u can go with a stock saw.

But the real question is. What is faster?

7/8" with + stock air filter setup?

OR

larger than 7/8" exit port + maybee the baffle removed? + max flow air filter mod

----------------------------------

at this point it would be an easy thing to test.

my 7/8" + stock filter setup
vs
morparmyway's muffler + air filter mod

Is this to suggest that we should stop muffler modding otherwise stock saws? Of course not. Why don't other saws display these symptoms? Because we tune the carb after the mod and enjoy a saw that actually has better throttle response. I stand by my statement that this is a carb tuning issue.

Now, that's not to say that a better air filter isn't a good idea and may show additional gains. I'm all for moving in that direction. I'm simply saying that's it's a misnomer to call this an imbalance. It's simply something that MTronic can't handle.

There aint another big cube saw out with electronics.
Sucking gobs of air and trying to electronically manage the fuel curve with a restricted HD2 isnt as easy as some wish it to be

ok i'll try one more time...

imbalance - normally carb lets you tune it out. Should you tune it out? No. You should add more air. If you do tune it out then your still not ideal power. 661 just doesn't let you do that. Right now it's saying restrict the out flow (muffler). Or give me more air.

put the (more restricted ) muff porche965 is sending you, on it. and it'll fix it.

OR

put the max flow on and it'll fix it.

all u gotta do is fix the imbalance. one side of it or the other. The question is which side makes more power? I think that is very obvious. Put the max flow on your saw.

ps. you'd probably have the SAME problem or some other problem if you kept the muffler stock and put the max flow mod on the back. just another imbalance.

Is this to suggest that we should stop muffler modding otherwise stock saws? Of course not. Why don't other saws display these symptoms? Because we tune the carb after the mod and enjoy a saw that actually has better throttle response. I stand by my statement that this is a carb tuning issue.

Now, that's not to say that a better air filter isn't a good idea and may show additional gains. I'm all for moving in that direction. I'm simply saying that's it's a misnomer to call this an imbalance. It's simply something that MTronic can't handle.
I've ran saws without any filter at all numerous times.[emoji6] Yes more air is better that's not the issue. What is a problem, is the fact we can't use a little orange screwdriver to fix this problem, if you want a really strong saw to run with its stock air filter.

Remember most people that use saws professionally don't even know or care about ported saws, so it may not be a problem, or a problem Stihl even cares about. But in my mind, and if this is in fact what's causing the bogging issue, the filter is too small/restrictive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back