Professional Opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl86

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
MS880. 41" bar. Big wood. 6' and up. Hardwoods. Oak. Locust.
Is half skip needed or full comp OK (.404)?
I have little experiance with jumbo trees. Thanks to Sandy
I have to become an expert quick with these monsters.
Thanks in advance.

Not a pro, but I run full comp .404 on my MAC 125s. A lot of teeth to sharpen, but full comp is usually stocked around here whereas skip must be ordered. I would recommend you get whichever you can acquire locally. If they carry both, they probably can advise you what is best for your circumstances. I have never run an 880 but surely it will pull full comp just fine, if that is your concern. Be careful and have fun. Ron

Full comp will work, just might not clear chips as fast. Just go slow and it will be fine, much bigger and I'd go skip, you could at that length and not get hurt on speed, may actually be faster.

But chain isn't cheap and you already have some... run it.

Full comp. That beast has the torque and skip is impossible to find locally up here.

Go with full skip and you'll be happier. Half the cutters to sharpen and a bit more chain speed. It's what I run on mine. I'd only go with full comp if nothing else was available. I tend to prefer Stihl RMF .404. That's what 's worked well on my 880 and 088 when stock.

The 880 doesn't have near the torque of a Mac 125 which can get away with full comp .404. The 880 has more chain speed and is a higher rpm saw where the high speed skip chains work best.

I have 36" full comp and full skip and I much prefer the skip. The only reason I have the full comp is because it came on the saw when I bought it, otherwise I have no use for it over 28". It's all about clearing the chips IMO.

If you can only get full comp chain (which is usually cheaper than a skip anyway, where i live) you can always make a Full comp chain into a skip chain by grinding off cutters ....I just buy rolls of Full comp .404 .063 semi-chiz and grind it into what i want

My only advise would be to not go with full chisel as it dulls fast if you are going to be flushing cutting stumps which I suspect you will with what you are dealing with.

I have no idea on the skip verse full comp as I only have a MS660 but my SP125 runs full comp 36" with no issues at all.

I have neither, and i'm no prob but;

Its not that the 880 can't handle full comp, but skip would probably be better for 1) chip clearance 2) chain speed and 3) sharpening

I think the only thing going for full comp in that size its easier to obtain. :)

Our Snellerized 880 loves full skip, as it has a whole bunch of chain speed...chips fly like a firehose! With the bar buried in big wood, keeping the chain speed up is important with any saw, even the mighty 880. It has been my experience that stock 880s favor full skip and a 7-pin rim sprocket, but our big Oak cuts pretty easy so i file the rakers down a touch more than spec....and when cutting pine (most of our work) the cutting is almost magical.

Every wood type has its own secrets, find out what works best for you. Take several chain types with you (gonna need 'em probably...if yer cutting on down wood the chances of rocking chains is pretty high).

Good luck, let us know what ya find out for your particular timber.

Take care and Saw Safe :cheers:

Man I would love to have locust logs that size! One of the best firewood species. Also VERY rot resistant! The stuff burns so clean you hardly need an ashpan. Although moving and splitting/chunking would be fun:laugh:

36'' 3/8 .063 Semi chisels chains,first two cuts full comp,other cuts skip chain.
Wood is green Stringbark.

[video=youtube;v50ke7JMhvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v50ke7JMhvw[/video]

I've never seen a 6' Locust. Maybe 6' circumference. I have seen some 6' Oak though. An Oak that big is going to be pretty hard. I'd go with skip chain just for the chip clearance.

Latest posts

Back