Professionals?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are MANY professional tree guys (and gals) on here, and lots of guys that think they are pro's. The more you read, the more you realize who is what. Some Arborists, like myself, have "been there, done that" with the Arborist Cert. but have chosen to move on. Everyone has their own opinion as to the qualifications required to be considered a PRO. I own my own company, my own equipment and have the required licenses and Insurance, but that in itself does not make me a Pro (Professional) in my opinion.
You would think that all that matters is whether or not my current, potential and future customers consider me and my guys professional or not, but sadly, at the end of the day, most homeowners only care about the lowest bid.

Lot to truth there!!

Retired, I run the family firewood business from Sept/Mar over 300 cord sold a year.
Produce alfalfa and orchard grass hay during spring and the summer.

When I was a youngster the old timer i was workn with told me "I hope you like tree work alot cuz u will b doin it along time" I said "wtf r u talkn about? thats crazy!" and he said "ya,almost as crazy as the look in your eye when we r doin a big take down". HHhhmmmm....well , I did try swinging a hammer a few times and I am a half decent carpenter but I always came back to tree work. Just like the old timer said I would. Now I have my own little gig goin and enjoying it for the most part. I make almost my entire income from tree work so I guess that makes me a pro, atleast by definition.

R.I.P. John Bradstock

what's a professional...

Well, one might think that to be a professional you need a profession.
But by defination that isn't the case :)

Looking up defination of profession:

To be called a professoin it needs to be:
1. a full-time occupation;
2. have formal training schools;
3. have formal association
4. have professional ethics
5. have State licensing laws

So by that term.. does not work :)

So.. Lets look up professional :

In western nations, such as the United States, the term commonly describes highly educated, mostly salaried workers, who enjoy considerable work autonomy, a comfortable salary, and are commonly engaged in creative and intellectually challenging work.
Less technically, it may also refer to a person having impressive competence in a particular activity.
Because of the personal and confidential nature of many professional services and thus the necessity to place a great deal of trust in them, most professionals are held up to strict ethical and moral regulations.

1.A professional is a person that is paid for what they do. Qualifications have little to do with being a professional as the world's "oldest profession" is strictly a monetary gain career. An amateur maybe more qualified than a professional but they are not paid, thus they are an amateur.

2.Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing professionally.

3.Excellent manual/practical and literary skills in relation to profession.

4.High quality work in (examples): creations, products, services, presentations, consultancy, primary/other research, administrative, marketing or other work endeavors.

5. A high standard of professional ethics, behavior and work activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee, self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.

6. Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.

7.Participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs b : having a particular profession as a permanent career c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return[6]

8.Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues. Special respect should be demonstrated to special people and interns. An example must be set to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.

9.Professional Attire – Including but not limited to, dress slacks, long-sleeve button down shirt, tie, dress shoes, etc.

10.professional is an expert who is master in a specific field.

Then we look down further..

Trades
In narrow usage, not all expertise is considered a profession. Although sometimes referred to as professions, such occupations as skilled construction work are more generally thought of as trades or crafts. The completion of an apprenticeship is generally associated with skilled labor or trades such as carpenter, electrician, plumber, bricklayer and other similar occupations. A related (though not always valid) distinction would be that a professional does mainly mental or administrative work, as opposed to engaging in physical work. Many companies include the word professional in their store name to signify the quality of their workmanship or service.

Oh well I give up :)

Any professionals in the group!!

As I've said before, I would love to do this full time. Been cutting trees down since I got hold of my old mans saw when I was 12, climbing trees since I could walk and running a mostly weekend tree business for myself for 6 years. As also mentioned, I'm not an arborist but would like to be once I find the time to take the classes and tests. Professional? I try to act professional when I do a job and I try to stay within my limits. Most of the lanscapers around here take down trees themselves but if they have a tough one or a tricky one, they all call me or refer the owners to me.

Honestly, what makes a person a professional?

There are MANY professional tree guys (and gals) on here, and lots of guys that think they are pro's. The more you read, the more you realize who is what. Some Arborists, like myself, have "been there, done that" with the Arborist Cert. but have chosen to move on. Everyone has their own opinion as to the qualifications required to be considered a PRO. I own my own company, my own equipment and have the required licenses and Insurance, but that in itself does not make me a Pro (Professional) in my opinion.
You would think that all that matters is whether or not my current, potential and future customers consider me and my guys professional or not, but sadly, at the end of the day, most homeowners only care about the lowest bid.

Rep sent your way Panama! Your last 8 words hit the nail square on its head!

Yeah but what about the other 240?

Dang it Ben! You have any idea how bad Mt. Dew burns when it squirts outta your nose!:silly:

8 years at this, some good some bad, still learning to be professional, still learning to pay the bills on charity but thankful for the trees: they provide my family clean air, shade, heat from winter's chill, recreation, and all the outer cambium my dogs need...

I've been thinking of calling myself a Landscape Biologist as soon as I get my degree. I thought it would be a BS title to go along with my BS degree, but I Googled it ant there are faculty positions at state uni's with the title....

Latest posts

Back