Project Almighty Splitter, the turbocharged logsplitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_School_Nut

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
The story:

It all started out in roughly 1972 when my dad built a splitter but never finished it and it sat in the woods for over 30 years. it used a 9.6 hp Clinton engine and sad to say but the brand new engine was not much more than a solid block of rust when I got my hands on it a few years ago.. Eager to finish my dads project, I started project almighty splitter, but this time with a bigger engine!

The goal of this log splitter from the start was to build a splitter that was powerful, reliable, FUN, mechanically interesting, E85 compatible and easier on the back than a splitting maul.

And so I began with research. I wanted a old engine (40-50 years old), a durable one, one that is simple, with available parts (within reason). This led me to Wisconsin engines. After some thought I bought a couple of the locally made 2 cylinder engines used, then I bought another, and another from 3 different states (fun road trips)... after maybe 5+ engines I had enough to build one good engine, a Frankenstein of all the engines best parts. I then sent the cylinders out to get bored and have new bronze guides installed. After the valve job I then back cut the face of the valves and polished them, next is pocket porting!

The two cyl TJD Wisconsin engine I selected is over 54+ CI (bored out .010) this alone impressed my friends and eventually they thought with all this “overkill” (hey I split a lot of elm) I could as well add a turbo! Point taken! I then set out and bought a IHI RHF3 turbo from a 3 cyl diesel, it should be a perfect match for my little 2 cylinder, even with my low engine rpm's of 3,600 RPM (hydraulic pump limits RPM)

The oil feed from the turbo will come from a tank that is connected to the engine oil sump, this is so I can use my auxiliary pump (also locally made) (1 GPM 600 PSI max at 1,800 RPM) to also filter my engine oil (non military variants of the engine had no oil filter) the baby oil pump will be driven via extended mandrel on the flywheel end (where the hand crank start is) to allow for a belt. The belt will drive the oil pump via a shaft sitting on 2 pillow blocks mounted on the same frame as the engine, this shaft will then have a lov joy on the other end. This will allow me to drive the oil pump without putting a side load on the pumps shaft, and thus hopefully increasing pump life, pump RPM will be adjusted via pulley ratios.... I just have to find a relief valve now....

The engine is all forged internally minus the pistons... oil spray and splash lube, taper roller mains and automotive type rod and wrist pin bearings... lucky for me I can machine, I have access to a 4 axis mill as well as a 2 axis as well as lathes, which I have used a lot already on this project. I am old school and don’t trust batteries so I took the distributor off and am right now making an adapter for a Fairbanks Morse magneto to mount behind the generator (driven via generator armature and a coupling made out of a TH400 tranny yoke and output shaft) this is possible because the generator is gear driven much like aircraft engines... the engine also has a Rockford clutch so I can disengage the pump in the winter when I want to HAND START my engine! Yes it has an electric starter (6 volt ‘cuz I dig 6 volt), but hand start is nice to have when you split wood in the back 40...

Other than that I have a huge 5 X 30" rebuildable hydraulic cylinder and a 28 GPM 2 stage barnes pump, I calculate a 10.07298493 sec cycle time on the fast side of the pump operating at peak efficiency and a max push of 29 tons (don’t listen to log splitter manufacturers claims most are way off). That makes for an average of almost 6 inches of travel per second. to Limit the speed (for safety and for ease of use I got a flow control valve to adjust cylinder speed from 0-6 IPM.

the hydraulic tank will be made like a race car oil system with an air/oil separator, but because of its large volume I have it planned to have an internal valve to divert the just used oil back to the tank outlet, this should keep the warmer oil circulating and thus faster cycle times....

To Do:
-I still need however a hydraulic relief valve for 55 PSI
-I need to locate a cheep intercooler
-Finalize how to modify a bendix updraft carb and its associated mechanical fuel pump to work with a turbo (think tractor carburetor) (I have ideas but never done one....)
-fab oil tank with air oil separator and winter bypass.
-find a small mechanical water pump and radiator to cool my water cooled turbo
-get a cheep holley blue electric "race" fuel pump from some1 to modify into a mechanical pump

Engine Mods Done and in Progress:
-3 angle valve job,
-back cut and polished valves.
-Pocket ported
-Aluminum heads (they also used cast iron)
-Bored out .010
-Custom 6v generator with magneto drive (I dig 6 volt)
-6v starter & hand crank.
-RHF3 turbo
-Fab a drive for a 1 gpm haight pump for turbo lube
-Modified updraft carb with drilled out adjustable jets from smaller Wisconsin engines to allow use of E85 (hopefully float and air bleeds will not need to be changed)

to do:
-Finish engine assembly and Rockford wet clutch assembly
-Drill and tap oil fill hole in block
-Assemble everything
-Finish magneto adapter

Hydraulic specs:
-5x30 prince tie rod cyl
-28 GPM barnes 2 stage pump
-30 GPM spool
-25 gallon oil tank (to be fabricated still)
-Flow control valves for ram and boom (vertical splitter)

I am I would say about half way their... I have most parts but the ones listed and the frame is made. The bulk of the work left is in fabricating oil tanks and assembly..... Should be fun!

Pictures will come soon.

some pics..

some pics of parts:

the turbo as I got it.
index.php

isnt it cute?
47b7dd11b3127cce82e6ac7d538800000016109BctXLZo1E

gees....i have an old 4 cylinder Wisconsin engine sitting on the side of my garage. problem is it's a hand crank start. it was on an old generator.

it's a VF4 27 hp. i was going to design a log splitter with it...lol....but, i settled for an 18hp engine (electric start)

the project sounds interesting...post some pictures of the progress!!!!!

good luck with that.

Reply to Old School Nut

Old School Nut,

You are a glutten for punishment. All that fancy stuff on that splitter may be difficult to get running right all at the same time. I hope you are successful ‘cuz it sounds like a really, really neat project. It would be great to see it in action someday. Good luck.

thanks for the good words guys.

kellog, I doubt I will have any trouble with anything on the mechanical side or hydraulic side, engines, mechanical movements, hydraulics... are things I am very comfortable with. the biggest issue for me will be carburetion as I am asking what is basically a hay bailer carburetor (albeit modified) to meter fuel correctly for me from zero to maybe 8 pounds of boost (blow through). I think I have it under control, but of course I have to make it hard on myself because I want it to run on alcohol to, this brings up the problem with possible bleed size differences. Main and idle jet size is not an issue as I have adjustable (via screw) jets.

Because this whole issue interests me (and scares me) I have actually been thinking of buying a wide band O2 meter and a EGT gauge to help monitor things while I am splitting. The engine will have thermal shutoffs in the cylinder head as used by Wisconsin engines but I will have one for each cylinder. These switches will ground the mag if the engine gets to hot and kill the engine. The reason for this extreme is due to the fact this is an air cooled engine, and the ability for the engine to cool is dependant on the surface area/fin count around the cylinders and head, of course I cannot add fins to this now that I am installing a turbo to more than double hp so I have to make do with what I have. Of course I could make a water cooled head and install a pusher fan to blow air into the flywheel fan but I want to see how this pans out. This heat issue is also part of the reason I wish to run on alcohol, as alcohol engines run cooler by nature and have more potential to make HP (more knock resistant)

This entire project started so innocently and now its one of the most fun engineering projects I have done. I have blueprints, CNC programs for parts, I even got to learn the math I never understood (or cared to learn) in high school :rock: as well as the stuff I learned in airframe and powerplant school (A&P school/aircraft mechanic school) as well as machining school. (guess i use it for something after all!)

as an admitted gear head I can honestly say this splitter will reflect well with my taste for mechanical things and engineering style. Old fashioned, yet modern and refined, brutally excessive, yet intricately elegant and utilitarian with a simple mechanical beauty of timeless sheet metal, tig welded polished tubing, moving parts and a song of a splitter surely to leave an impression if nothing else does!

-Leo-

Old School Nut,

I sounds like you are doing all the right things to make it work effectively. We will be waiting for the final results. keep us posted.

The pictures in the last post didn't show up for me for some reason.

Dude, this looks like a pretty darn neat undertaking - I want to see some video of it in action when you get to that point....

I love when a guy does something to excess, just for the sport of it !

I was like that when i was younger, but somewhere along the way i turned into my father (god rest his soul!) !!!!!! Now when i come upon a set of black rubber stripes in the road..... i can still hear him say," Damm... i could drive to Hawaii and back with the rubber that guy wasted" and i half agree with him.

Doesn't mean others shouldn't be doing though.

I can't wait to see this rig ! I've always wanted to turbocharge my lil 18hp diesel tractor..... but i'll never get around to it.

Keep the pics coming as you go please! :clap:

yeah, I will post more pictures when I figure out why my last ones didn't post. I think I need to find another host for my pictures, computers are not my thing, thats why I just got a points distributer for my 66 chevy.

as for doing things to excess, its a wonderful thing, its what inspires others, its where ingenuity shines, its where skill as an engineer and fabricator show its merits. To me, its a beautiful thing, it makes people wonder, and it makes people smile, and makes little kids point, how can it get any better be it a car, a truck, a airplane or even a logsplitter?

btw, I have been known to lay some rubber, I think of it as donating to the city, with enough of us on the road they would never have to repave the road with that asphalt sealer stuff as its already done :) your dad does have a point though, I use up a set of front and rears in 8 months, between that and gas it hurts.

lets see if this works... it took forever to upload for me with dial up.

they are pictures of a part I made to adapt the mag to the generator in a haas 3 axis VMC and the other is a closer up shot of the still unfinished parts.

Last edited:
A real "old school nut" would be using something like my Van Norman #2 duplex machine (built sometime between 1897 and 1916) to do that machining job. :)

It would be nice to have that kind of equipment for the machining I do. Looks good. Keep us posted.

A real "old school nut" would be using something like my Van Norman #2 duplex machine (built sometime between 1897 and 1916) to do that machining job. :)

It would be nice to have that kind of equipment for the machining I do. Looks good. Keep us posted.

thanks guys, yes it is nice to have access to that stuff, lets a guy make dreams reality...

and I hear ya kellog, THATS old school! lol but I think I would be old myself by the time I figure out how to effectively use a machine like that (no mess ups) not to mention make duplicates! lol I do however use an old Sheldon lathe (60+ yo) at work regularly and can hold .001 which is not to bad considering how worn out it is (they were south bends competitor)

as for resize of the pics... I am afraid I don't know how! I can program a CNC but i cant do much more than navigate around on a PC! lol maybe I can find a place to host my pics that will resize them for me.

Old School Nut,

I use photobucket (www.photobucket.com) to host my pics. Then all you need is a link in your post and you get easy to access pics with no long wait times to upload your stuff and the user can size the photos as he pleases. There are many other sites that do the same thing. I just happen to use photobucket and are happy with them.

Just a suggestion for your hydraulic system: you might want to consider a larger tank, or a cooler in the line. Overheating is common on splitters if they're run for long periods, like an hour or more, especially in the summer. What really concerns me is using a flow control to regulate cylinder speed. All the energy you release with the flow control turns into heat. So if you reduce the speed very much, you'll probably produce a lot of heat with it. The minimum tank size is usually considered one minute's worth of oil, and that's with no flow control.

Don the Hydraulics Guy

Just a suggestion for your hydraulic system: you might want to consider a larger tank, or a cooler in the line. Overheating is common on splitters if they're run for long periods, like an hour or more, especially in the summer. What really concerns me is using a flow control to regulate cylinder speed. All the energy you release with the flow control turns into heat. So if you reduce the speed very much, you'll probably produce a lot of heat with it. The minimum tank size is usually considered one minute's worth of oil, and that's with no flow control.

Don the Hydraulics Guy

thanks Don for your Reply... I was concerned with heat as well but I was unsure of how much heat I would have to be dealing with and I have even considered using an oil cooler on the return side from the flow control valve or even welding tubing into the tank and blowing air over it (like a radiator on an OLD early 1900's tractor) but the problem with this is that it takes up volume in the tank and I am already space limited and thus the reason I called out less than 28 Gallons to start with... but now since I have room on the other side of the splitter by the engine and i plan on putting an intercooler (for the turbo) their with a mechanically driven fan (via jack shafts) I could place the intercooler in front of the oil cooler and use the fan for both... do you have any idea how much heat I will have to get rid of? I was thinking of leaving it out and adding it if heat became a problem but if its alot of heat I will need to deal with it and add it right off the bat.

I also thought that cavitation would be a problem from the oil returning to the tank from the flow controls at what might be a high volume and thinner hot oil. this is why I saw it as necessary to add an air oil separator in my hydraulic system. I figured with my lack of volume the oil I do have should be in tip top shape. To remove the air in the oil I will use an air oil separator (centrifugal) but to aid in this the tank will be baffled and be taller, skinny and long. As the oil passes through the baffles the oil should eventually be free of air as it enters the tank outlet at the bottom of the tank on the opposite end of the inlet (aka return line). well thats my theory anyways.

also for anybody who is reading this that is going to design an oil tank, you want about 1/3 of the tank volume to be air space to allow for tank venting, and to help the air separate from the oil. this also helps prevent oil spillage.. one gallon is 231 cubic inch too...

Back