Project Stumpbroke 385xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect the 385 is easier to get gains out of...

Mine got much, much happier simply by removing the base gasket, putting in an unlimited coil, an easy muff mod, and burring off the nikasil from the intake and exhaust ports. I've never driven a 395xp, but it is now neck and neck with my neighbors 660 (stock), but just as smooth as my 359.

Mine got much, much happier simply by removing the base gasket, putting in an unlimited coil, an easy muff mod, and burring off the nikasil from the intake and exhaust ports. I've never driven a 395xp, but it is now neck and neck with my neighbors 660 (stock), but just as smooth as my 359.
395:bowdown:

I'm not so sure that lowering the cylinder without at least compensating in the ports always is a good idea.

Looking good Stumpy......fine looking work. :rock:

Thanks Randy.

It looked better before it decided to try & eat the piston.:msp_thumbdn:
Nothing obviously wrong with anything & the saw was good & warm before I started cutting. I'll clean up the cyl which aint to bad & smooth the piston out & try it again before I replace the piston. I knew this was comming, just wasn't sure which saw it was going to be. I haven't had any issues for a while now. Especially since I've been measuring everything. I hate makeing "the" phonecall. Rest assured all will be well with it before He gets it back. Even if I have to buy another P&C.

100_2283.jpg

100_2284.jpg

I'm ready for any I told you so's. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks Randy.

Nothing obviously wrong with anything & the saw was good & warm before I started cutting. I'll clean up the cyl which aint to bad & smooth the piston out & try it again before I replace the piston. I knew this was comming, just wasn't sure which saw it was going to be. I haven't had any issues for a while now. Especially since I've been measuring everything. I hate makeing "the" phonecall. Rest assured all will be well with it before He gets it back. Even if I have to buy another P&C.

100_2283.jpg

100_2284.jpg

did it snag a ring in the tr or in port?

Ahhh the carnage! I should have told you when I was at the shop I think I dropped a paper clip in the cylinder. Forgive me?:laugh:

Stump,
if it was easy or guaranteed, everyone would do it. That's why you, Randy and Brad are the guys you are and have the well-deserved following you have. I thought very hard about buying a new 372... BUT, between you and Specter, there was no way I could spend more money on less saw. It might have been prettier (zero miles vs used) BUT it wouldn't have been Stumpbroke. That it was a hell of a deal, only makes it better. That and it runs better now after the blow-up, than it did when Specter had it...

Specter, NO you CAN't have it back!!!:D

Last edited:
Stump,
if it was easy or guaranteed, everyone would do it. That's why you, Rnady and Brad are the guys you are and have the well-deserved following you have. I thought very hard about buying a new 372... BUT, between you and Specter, there was no way I could spend more money on less saw. It might have been prettier (zero miles vs used) BUT it wouldn't have been Stumpbroke. That it was a hell of a deal, only makes it better. That and ut runs better now after the blow-up, than it did when Specter had it...

Specter, NO you CAN't have it back!!!:D

Thanks, I don't like when things go wrong, but If they always went right I might think I was good at it or something. I always try to look at the positive side of things. Issues like this keeps a feller humble to say the least. The worst thing about when this stuff happens is the extra time it takes to fix it. I'm already way behind & this will just put me a lil further. WHo needs sleep anyways......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I will say it was nice before it happend though. Was pullin a good 11k in the wood with a 24'' in a 21 or so inch peice of hard dry oak. I made several cuts before it locked up solid.

Stump let it roll off your shoulders, it happens to all of us at some point, and it will likely happen again.:cheers:

It really don't bother me to bad, it's not like everybody is gonna find out about it. :hmm3grin2orange:
Make sure the base of the cylinder is flat and true to the bore. I'm sure you know this, so I'll shut up now.;)

LOL, done thought of that. ;)

I am obviously no expert, but still thinking it could be a burr from chamfering the intake of the transfer port that corresponds with the damage - could be way off though.....

I'm not so sure that lowering the cylinder without at least compensating in the ports always is a good idea.

Good idea or not, the Saw Troll just quoted me in his one millionth post! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, fellow noobs! Almost cancels out my "search is your friend" badge of shame from Brad. Seriously, I hope it won't hurt anything, cause the 20 psi increase makes it feel more "torquey"

Thanks Randy.

100_2283.jpg

100_2284.jpg

You won't get any "I told you so's" from me Bub. We all make mis-licks... I think I have a pretty good idea what happened though. I would bet that the cylinder extensions were too tight in the crankcase. On your second picture I can't see a bevel on the back of the "wing"....

Check out the bevel on this extension....

Scotts395xp023.jpg

You got any spare 385 jugs layin' around the shop??? :hmm3grin2orange:

I have 10,366 spare parts laying around..... according to the 'puter. But a 385 jug just ain't one of them! Shooooot, they're only a day away though :msp_w00t:
A good dealer would have one on the shelf though I bet :(

Good idea or not, the Saw Troll just quoted me in his one millionth post! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, fellow noobs! Almost cancels out my "search is your friend" badge of shame from Brad. Seriously, I hope it won't hurt anything, cause the 20 psi increase makes it feel more "torquey"
Nah, won't hurt a thing. you've only moved the port timing a degree or two & mostly in the right direction too helping to make that lil extra bit of torque.

You won't get any "I told you so's" from me Bub. We all make mis-licks... I think I have a pretty good idea what happened though. I would bet that the cylinder extensions were too tight in the crankcase. On your second picture I can't see a bevel on the back of the "wing"....

Check out the bevel on this extension....

Scotts395xp023.jpg

Nope, I machined plenty off of the extensions. I always check by setting the jug on without the gasket to make sure it sets flat on the case. No marks on the case were it might have been hitting.

I wish it was a cut & dry diagnosis, but it's not. The only thing I can figure it that there was just enough of a burr there to smudge the skirt causing it to build up & make a mess. I'll use the old piston to make sure it isn't something with the cyl after cleaning everything up. I'f it doesn't hurt that piston I'll put another new one in.

Just another day at the Stumpshack. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back