Project Stumpbroke MS260 PRO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nstueve

nstueve

Makita Freak!
So Stumpy what's the difference between the 026 and the 260?

I can answer this one... Yes the "0" was moved...

The answer is that it depends on the saw. An 026 pro has a decomp and adjustable oiler. The older 44mm 026 jugs also had better port timing if you were going for the best stock power you could get.

You also have the change in covers, which also co-insides with air different air filters and different tank vents. Oh and Different carbs. The newer pro carbs have a diaphragm cover that vents into the air filter. Oh and the newer 260's have flippy caps. There was a all plastic handle that when on the ms260 also... The older 024/026's had wrapped aluminum handles.

There were like 10 different model carbs used the best of which was an older 026 carb the wt-194 due to a larger venturi size. However the fully adjustable wt-22B/G works just fine on non-ported saws.

That good enough???

Stumpys Customs

Stumpys Customs

Stumpbroke
Looks like a nice running saw. I heard 028 super p&c's work real well on 026's with a bit of machinework ;).

HMMMMMM. thanks.:msp_thumbsup:
I went from being a gas jockey to running a big lathe in an automotive machine shop without any training, only DESIRE/ motivation. OTJT

The big key to learning anything. It's gotta be from the heart.

I can answer this one... Yes the "0" was moved...

The answer is that it depends on the saw. An 026 pro has a decomp and adjustable oiler. The older 44mm 026 jugs also had better port timing if you were going for the best stock power you could get.

You also have the change in covers, which also co-insides with air different air filters and different tank vents. Oh and Different carbs. The newer pro carbs have a diaphragm cover that vents into the air filter. Oh and the newer 260's have flippy caps. There was a all plastic handle that when on the ms260 also... The older 024/026's had wrapped aluminum handles.

There were like 10 different model carbs used the best of which was an older 026 carb the wt-194 due to a larger venturi size. However the fully adjustable wt-22B/G works just fine on non-ported saws.

That good enough???

Good enough for me. Thanks for the info.:bowdown:

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
They are pretty thin and handy, ain't they...
ICK!!!
Did I just say something nice about a Stihl???
:censored:

I love the size, weight and slimness of the 260, but never could handle the server lack of power! Just horrible! Now a ported one might do...

There Hedge, a more balanced statement. :msp_smile:

Stumpys Customs

Stumpys Customs

Stumpbroke
A pic of the carb that's on it. The carb is off of an 028.
100_2932_zpsfbdfd958.jpg

And the comp
100_2934_zps9c1d439e.jpg

nstueve

nstueve

Makita Freak!
So here's a dumb question how much does compression increase after the break in period?

in my experiance it depends on several things.

rings
synthetic or conventional oil
when you test

if you use cabers I've seen more consistancey and it jumps about 5-8psi after 2.5gallons of conventioal fuel mix. If I didn't use cabers (not my choice) they seem to be lower readings up front and higher once broken in. 10-13psi difference.

Cold or hot will give different readings.

Either way expect 4-5psi jump and be excited if you see more...

Stumpys Customs

Stumpys Customs

Stumpbroke
in my experiance it depends on several things.

rings
synthetic or conventional oil
when you test

if you use cabers I've seen more consistancey and it jumps about 5-8psi after 2.5gallons of conventioal fuel mix. If I didn't use cabers (not my choice) they seem to be lower readings up front and higher once broken in. 10-13psi difference.

Cold or hot will give different readings.

Either way expect 4-5psi jump and be excited if you see more...

Pretty much the same here. Well said:msp_thumbsup:

moody
M

moody

Thanks for the information guys

As I said Stumpy wasn't trying to Highjack your thread or steal attention. Just a few questions and I respect your work so I thought I'd ask. Just trying to get the best quality out of my work I can. Back to the 260 the 028 carb has a higher out put?

nstueve

nstueve

Makita Freak!
As I said Stumpy wasn't trying to Highjack your thread or steal attention. Just a few questions and I respect your work so I thought I'd ask. Just trying to get the best quality out of my work I can. Back to the 260 the 028 carb has a higher out put?

probably fully adjustable and might have a larger venturi on it for more air intake... Some of the 026's had fixed "H" jet/needle carbs. WORTHLESS! Stihl should slap themselves in the face for that.

I didn't know the 028 carb worked on the 028... Hmmm... i might have one of those. Stumpy do you have the venturi measurement and model number off that carb? I know Brandon started another 026 build thread a while back that listed the carb models and venturi size... let me go find it...

edit here it is!
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/214108.htm

Last edited:
Stumpys Customs

Stumpys Customs

Stumpbroke

I used the 028 carb cause it had the adjustable high side. Had to swap the throttle shaft out. The venturies were about the same size before I opened this one up.

moody
M

moody

I used the 028 carb cause it had the adjustable high side. Had to swap the throttle shaft out. The venturies were about the same size before I opened this one up.

Good call, I've noticed a lot of the smaller Stihl's had the fixed H jet, and IMHO that's pointless for a competent user.

nstueve

nstueve

Makita Freak!
here are the carb venturi sizes:
WT-22b: 12.6mm
WT-426: 13.4mm
WT-194: 13.45mm
WT-394: 13.4mm
WTE-5: 13.45mm

These are all fully adjustable carb models but some may be EU/UK model carbs since Brandon is in Germany when he gave us these numbers.

So no we need to know what size the 028 carb venturi is to compare with the popular WT194.

nstueve

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Good call, I've noticed a lot of the smaller Stihl's had the fixed H jet, and IMHO that's pointless for a competent user.

It wasn't stihls call. EPA made them do it... Kinda like Dolmar epoxying the 5105 carb shut so you couldn't even get access to the screws!

PS: for any dolmar fans out there I picked up a new 5105 yesterday and it still had the epoxy carb on it. Don't know how long it had been at the dealer for though.

moody
M

moody

It wasn't stihls call. EPA made them do it... Kinda like Dolmar epoxying the 5105 carb shut so you couldn't even get access to the screws!

PS: for any dolmar fans out there I picked up a new 5105 yesterday and it still had the epoxy carb on it. Don't know how long it had been at the dealer for though.

Didn't know that, the 5105 is a sweet little saw. I bought the 346xp over it based on feel not on performance. Stock with the same set up there wasn't much difference in power. My 028 has a fully adjustable carb I'll have to check to see which one it is. Never really had a chance to play with Stihl stuff until January.

nmurph

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
I love the size, weight and slimness of the 260, but never could handle the server lack of power! Just horrible! Now a ported one might do...

There Hedge, a more balanced statement. :msp_smile:

I have one done by Randy and I have to say that I love it for small felling and limbing jobs. I'm not crazy about the master control that is easily bumped and makes the saw go kaput.

Latest posts