Propane Downsizing, escaping from the dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyToysDream

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have been a customer of this propane dealer for 18 yrs, using approximtely 500 gallons a yr for heat & cookstove. Recently, we put in a outside wood boiler furnace to be our main source of heat. Talked to the dealer, 3 times in person and several times on the phone this summer. Trying to fiqure out the best course of action. They want to downsize our tank because now it will be only for cookstove, and a backup heat source. Which we understand. The problem is that we have about 400 gallons in the tank and it's paid for. If they downsize us, they will take our propane back to their business place, bring one or two 100 gallon tanks here, and charge us the going rate which the last quote I got from them less than 2 wks ago, was $ 3.82 a gallon. We paid last season under contract, $ 2.45 a gallon. They would refund us the price we paid $ 2.45 times 400 gallons. I asked them if we could buy the tank we have and they said NO. They never sell tanks. Other dealers don't want to touch someone else's tank. I was hoping they would set 2 smaller tanks, and pump our propane over into them. Then take the balance back to their business, and refund us. If they take 200 gallons back, they would have that to resell, and would be making a profit on that. Bottom line, it's their tank and they control the situation. Currently they put us on delivery once a year. But we will have to make a decision in March to downsize then because we won't be able to use enough to keep the 500 gallon tank here. Our tank is above ground.

Any one else been through this kind of situation, and how did you handle it ?

When i put my owb in i never called the propane guy untill i was almost out. I was on will call, so they just didnt show up whithout a call. They did give me the credit of the gas that was in there off of what they put in the 200 out back. So for every gallon they pumped out i got the "free" gallon pumped in. I will say that the company i deal with is family owned and operated, and very nice people. I could walk in there right now and talk to steve the owner, i guess that is one nice thing about doing business with local people.

why not just keep tha propane tank until it runs out?

ahhhh...i read the last part....kinda like a lease deal thing.

but, still, why couldn't you just keep the tank?

Last edited:
This propane company is local to us about 7 miles one way.

One horror story I was reading on another site, this same dealer told
the customer, it would be $ 50.00 to pick up the tank, and they would subtract 50 cents each gallon that you paid for and wanted a refund on, if you wanted to end doing business with them. Which is what we want to do, but not wanting to take a beating like that.

What do you pay for your yearly lease on the tank? We pay 45 bucks a year, we had it filled 4 years ago, and only use it for the gas range. My wife refuses to cook on electric.

I am hoping we could keep the tank for awhile.
After 18 yrs of doing business with them, that tank should be a free and clear investment to them.
They don't want to sell above ground tanks to residental customers

We were on a *will call* and now, it's to be once a yr........which
will be in March of 2009
Not sure we can even come close to using that 400 gallons up by then.

No yearly lease on tank......it was built into the gallon price somehow.

I HATE electric stoves..........
want to continue to use my propane one which is only 2.5 yrs old.
It was a tad pricey. Has 5 burners which the center one is a grill.

gees.....i'll run down and fill up my bottles for the grill!!!

i'll help you empty it.

Yup these propane people think there god. When I switched suppliers, they said same thing, pump out fee, pick up tank fee. I laughed, ran tank bone dry, removed gas line, and drug with tractor to property line. Called them and said there you go! Go ahead and bill, check will be in mail. :censored: Em

I asked another dealer about setting up 2 smaller tanks and them pumping the gas over for us, and he said they would not do that
They were willing to sell us a tank though.

This story is on channel 9 news syracuse btw, under real deals :)
Channel 9 news asked if they could come here, and do a story on us.
Hubby chickened out on me.........
but come March......he may change his tune..............

Last edited:
check the local classfieds--should be able to find a used 500 gal tank--unless theres a heavy demand in that area--wish you were closer--id sell you my extra!!! and ya--they are tryin to rake you over the coals----does your tank have a liquid takeoff??? have someone you know--bring their tank over if its about empty--soem one in that area should be able to tell you how to take the liquid propane out of there--ive done it more than once--i even did it on one that didnt liquid out---i lifted the tank upside down----and used the vapor valve as liquid!!! serious--

I have a son who works for a natural gas company and knows his HVAC, but not sure he would want the responsibility of moving the gas over.........
he would think mom was losing it..............

I told hubby to quit stuffing wood in the OWB, so I can make sure some of that propane would get used up this fall.........
but I think he is in love with that OWB, and that pile of wood out there........
I think it's a man thing when it comes to wood :)

Simple

Tell them you will down size the tank as soon as the propane in the tank is used up. if the gas is paid for tell them its not leaving the property.

if the lease of the tank is included in the price of the gas,
you are paid up........

Tell them NO WAY it stays until the gas is gone

Chase them off the property with a kindling stick

For tanks we pay $1.00 for each gallon capacity 500 gallon $500.00

Last edited:
I like the idea of chasing them off with a kindling stick :)

I also thought about asking them if they would like to be on a tv story with me and trying to explain to the public......how they treat their long term customers. They STRESS they can charge more per gallon than the competition because they offer better service.

I'd use all of the propane up and do like Wirenut did. Then tell them to come and get it.

I bought my 500 gal. tank several years ago. The last time that I had it filled was June and it held almost 200 gal. That's what I used in two years for cooking and heating when the weather isn't real cold.

Tell them you will down size the tank as soon as the propane in the tank is used up. If the gas is paid for, tell them it's not leaving the property.

If the lease of the tank is included in the price of the gas, you are paid up........

Tell them NO WAY it stays until the gas is gone.

Chase them off the property with a kindling stick.

For tanks we pay $1.00 for each gallon capacity 500 gallon $500.00

+1! That's the best advice I have ever seen anyone give a person buying propane on this forum. Propane dealers are selling a commodity and playing it like a commodities market. Fight fire with fire--your cash is fire. :chainsaw:

Not that this helps much, but when I was in the same situation I ran my tanks out, discontinued service (no charge), and they picked up their tanks. Then I went to home depot and bought a 100lb tank $120. Every propane filling station I've brought it to will fill it for me and help me put it back in my pickup. It costs about $75 to fill, and because the tank is a new model it's very light and easy to transport. Hope this helps.

We have thought serious about buying our own tank/s.
I was told by the other dealer that the smaller tanks have to
be inspected but the bigger tanks do not have to be.

Going to be quite the learning experience I can see that.

If it wasn't for that propane cookstove that I like so much,
I would not have such a hard decision.
I would have had that propane tank long gone................. :D

We have thought serious about buying our own tank/s.
I was told by the other dealer that the smaller tanks have to
be inspected but the bigger tanks do not have to be.

Going to be quite the learning experience I can see that.

If it wasn't for that propane cookstove that I like so much,
I would not have such a hard decision.
I would have had that propane tank long gone................. :D

Buy your own tanks so that you won't be at the mercy of one distributor.

Do am interview for that TV station!

Here is the story on channel 9 news website , Syracuse NY
No I am not the lady they interviewed for their story.

Read below their story, the 23 comments.........
that's where it gets real interesting :)

http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news/r...ntent_id=76b56e2b-3cd3-4d82-b474-32bbb3772c0e

Remember, sunshine is very cleansing, let the whole wide world know how this company treats a loyal 18 year customer. Use all the propane in the tank unless they will refund you the price paid -OR- current retail price whichever is higher. Then get rid of them, buy your own tank (they are not that expensive) and you are free to use will call with whatever dealer you like. When you own the tank the Propane price is CHEAPER. This will pay for the tank over it's lifetime. What no one has mentioned is that when the dealer owns the tank they charge you a lot more $$$ per gallon...do some invetigating on the web, make some telephone calls...AND by all means make your story public....reiterate that you are an 18 year customer in GOOD standing...if that tank has been there for many years why do they need it back so quick? The company's haste to make extra money here will cost them customers with the bad publicity. GO FOR IT !!!!:popcorn:

Back