Propane Downsizing, escaping from the dealer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100 pound tanks

Not that this helps much, but when I was in the same situation I ran my tanks out, discontinued service (no charge), and they picked up their tanks. Then I went to home depot and bought a 100lb tank $120. Every propane filling station I've brought it to will fill it for me and help me put it back in my pickup. It costs about $75 to fill, and because the tank is a new model it's very light and easy to transport. Hope this helps.

You are right. The new tanks have a Tare weight of about 67 pounds. When filled they weigh approximately 167 pounds, very manageable to have two of them and get delivery from a dealer or take them out to get filled yourself (Never put these in an enclosed area of a motor vehicle such as the trunk):popcorn:

check the local classfieds--should be able to find a used 500 gal tank--unless theres a heavy demand in that area--wish you were closer--id sell you my extra!!! and ya--they are tryin to rake you over the coals----does your tank have a liquid takeoff??? have someone you know--bring their tank over if its about empty--soem one in that area should be able to tell you how to take the liquid propane out of there--ive done it more than once--i even did it on one that didnt liquid out---i lifted the tank upside down----and used the vapor valve as liquid!!! serious--

Years ago I used to work for a propane company. All our trucks ran on propane. When we had to go quite a ways away, we would carry 100 pounders with as backup fuel since you couldn't always find a place to refuel.
Problem is, when you turn a tank upside down to force the liquid out of the valve into another tank, it will only empty half way. That is because, regardless of tank sizes, the pressure will only force the liquid out until there is equal pressure in both tanks. Hence, two half full tanks.

My propane story.

I had a propane tank form Pacific Propane.

I asked them how much to fill the tank they were going to charge me 75 cents more a gallon and the tank rental was due soon.

I called up Farrell Gas and got a quote for 75 cents less per gallon and free tank rental.

My first fill was In January $1.90 a gallon it took over 200 gallons.

I have a 288 gallon tank.

After I switched suppliers I called the old supplier for 2 months and asked them to pick up their tank. They never came I put the almost new tank in the bottom of my lot it has been there since January of this year also a 288 gallon tank.

I called Farrell Gas to get the tank filled up I stated that I was quoted $2.90 a gallon.

They stated that they could not locate the record stating that but they gave me a fill of $2.90 a gallon

I think Farrell gas is a good competitive supplier in my area.

So what do you guys think do I own the propane tank that was left on my property ?

Some suppliers will negotiate the price of propane, at least Farrell gas.

David:cheers:

NYLady,

Do not give them this propane. If they want it they have to pay market value! You payed for it and you intend to use it to cook your food and heat your home if necessary! Here in New York State, all that you have to mention is the State Attorney General's office (Andrew Cuomo) and it will scare the hell out of these crooks.

They are making a move to profit on this fuel. Call or write the Attorney General's office and a local newswriter would love this story. "A loyal long-term customer being exploited by the greedy oil and gas industry!"

First, I would have a talk with them. Find a reason that you want to leave it and get them off your back with that. If that doesn't work pull the "18 year customer" card. If that doesn't work pull the Attorney General/newspaper card.

Good Luck, and please let us know how you stop these crooks.

Last edited:
My propane story.

I had a propane tank form Pacific Propane.

I asked them how much to fill the tank they were going to charge me 75 cents more a gallon and the tank rental was due soon.

I called up Farrell Gas and got a quote for 75 cents less per gallon and free tank rental.

My first fill was In January $1.90 a gallon it took over 200 gallons.

I have a 288 gallon tank.

After I switched suppliers I called the old supplier for 2 months and asked them to pick up their tank. They never came I put the almost new tank in the bottom of my lot it has been there since January of this year also a 288 gallon tank.

I called Farrell Gas to get the tank filled up I stated that I was quoted $2.90 a gallon.

They stated that they could not locate the record stating that but they gave me a fill of $2.90 a gallon

I think Farrell gas is a good competitive supplier in my area.

So what do you guys think do I own the propane tank that was left on my property ?

Some suppliers will negotiate the price of propane, at least Farrell gas.

David:cheers:

We are thinking very serious with going to Farrell gas after we get rid of Suburban propane. Have had enough of their nonsense and the way they do business.

I would guess no you don't own the tank. Send them a letter they have to sign for......tell them you will be charging them *rent* for storage of their tank, unless they pick it up within a few days. Guess is they might be there sooner than later, to get their tank :)

NYLady,

Do not give them this propane. If they want it they have to pay market value! You payed for it and you intend to use it to cook your food and heat your home if necessary! Here in New York State, all that you have to mention is the State Attorney General's office (Andrew Cuomo) and it will scare the hell out of these crooks.

They are making a move to profit on this fuel. Call or write the Attorney General's office and a local newswriter would love this story. "A loyal long-term customer being exploited by the greedy oil and gas industry!"

First, I would have a talk with them. Find a reason that you want to leave it and get them off your back with that. If that doesn't work pull the "18 year customer" card. If that doesn't work pull the Attorney General/newspaper card.

Good Luck, and please let us know how you stop these crooks.

Yes, I will update this thread as we go along. Thinking it will be March before we speak to the propane company again. Right now, just trying to get through this first heating season with our new OWB, and wanting that propane for a backup.
I am hoping to just be as calm as I can be when talking to this company in the future, and remind them, that we have been a 18 yr customer with no problems. Then if they start to be heavy handed again, I can mention the Better Business Bureau, and or the Attorny General. Then if that doesn't work, then I mention a possible newspaper story.

My personality is a very long fuse with lots of patience.
Just don't back me into a corner, and leave me with no way out........
then it gets REAL interesting........

:greenchainsaw:

Years ago I used to work for a propane company. All our trucks ran on propane. When we had to go quite a ways away, we would carry 100 pounders with as backup fuel since you couldn't always find a place to refuel.
Problem is, when you turn a tank upside down to force the liquid out of the valve into another tank, it will only empty half way. That is because, regardless of tank sizes, the pressure will only force the liquid out until there is equal pressure in both tanks. Hence, two half full tanks.
i didnt want to explain it all--i had a small old refrig compressor rigged to the vapor line to keep pressure on the tank i was emptying----and i had the pressure right against the blowoff valve---i/e--vapor from one tank into the other--not outside air, and on 60 gal and larger tanks--theres no dip tube for liquid fill--

Tell them you will down size the tank as soon as the propane in the tank is used up. if the gas is paid for tell them its not leaving the property.

if the lease of the tank is included in the price of the gas,
you are paid up........

Tell them NO WAY it stays until the gas is gone

Chase them off the property with a kindling stick

For tanks we pay $1.00 for each gallon capacity 500 gallon $500.00

AGREED!!!! that gas in there is paid for--i/e YOUR property, and if the rent is paid---you really have them on a short line--told the same thing to the gas co that wanted the tank on my property removed--they backed off!!! told them they were going to pay me going rate if they tried to remove it--they think you will just bow down to them---------NOT!!!!!!!! and also--i was told by a diff gas go--those gauges on the tanks are accurate, so very easy to figure the gallons left--

(We are thinking very serious with going to Farrell gas after we get rid of Suburban propane. Have had enough of their nonsense and the way they do business.)

in this area--id never do business with farrell gas--they are the rip off of this area!!!!!

(We are thinking very serious with going to Farrell gas after we get rid of Suburban propane. Have had enough of their nonsense and the way they do business.)

in this area--id never do business with farrell gas--they are the rip off of this area!!!!!

I was afraid someone was going to say Farrell was not good either.
I talked to the guy who does it locally and wow it sounded so good.
This guy and his partner both worked for Suburban for many years,
and know their propane business inside and out.
I should have known it was too good to be true.

Well it does appear that we definitely need to buy our own tank.
Hoping we can buy the tank we currently have here.
And I will be getting a receipt for said purchase, and putting it in a
safe place, so there will be no questions in the future.
Then if we don't like someone's service, we can switch again.

Oh man this is Suburban propane huh? The forced me to buy my own tanks also with their slimy tactics....I was using Agway propane and was happy with them..then suburban bought them in my area and they started showing up to fill my tanks whenever the price went up...all kinds of shady stuff, anyway I told them to come get their tanks and bought my own...it was a real challenge trying to buy tanks though, it's not as easy as you would think. I have four 100 gallon tanks, two at the house and two at the shop....at least one is for sale from the shop now that the OWB is coming though so if anyone in eastern PA is looking :)

Yes, I will update this thread as we go along. Thinking it will be March before we speak to the propane company again. Right now, just trying to get through this first heating season with our new OWB, and wanting that propane for a backup.
I am hoping to just be as calm as I can be when talking to this company in the future, and remind them, that we have been a 18 yr customer with no problems. Then if they start to be heavy handed again, I can mention the Better Business Bureau, and or the Attorny General. Then if that doesn't work, then I mention a possible newspaper story.

My personality is a very long fuse with lots of patience.
Just don't back me into a corner, and leave me with no way out........
then it gets REAL interesting........

:greenchainsaw:

The Better Business Bureau has no teeth. They are simply a mediator with no power of enforcement of their own. The Attorney Genenerals office will go for their throat. The BBB will be a death by papercuts if they bother to open the letters.

Been reading this and coming back to it, hope your fight to keep whats yours comes out in your favor.

After reading all of the posts, I must purge myself of all of the shame and guilt I have felt for years...I have a pair of 20 lb. tanks feeding my kitchen range!..I use(d) oil for heat, but gas is best to cook with, also have another pair of 20's for the outdoor kitchen..I will not be hostage to an LP supplier...ever!! Refill at Wally World, swap tanks, get 10% off from wife's employee discount. Life is good..please do not try this at home!!

We bought our own tanks- one a 150gal the other a 250 gal. . Local dealers have no problem filling them. We have learned to cut back on LP gas usage by limiting what hot water we really have to use and were amazed how far you can stretch it.

1. I will NEVER pay rent on a tank again.

2. I will never go back to high cost energy heating.

We heated with wood years ago and went back to it last winter saving a bundle.

You need to set up your OWB to heat your water also and use small bottles if you cook with gas. It's down to survival mode now.

We are heating our hot water also with the OWB. That is a electric unit, that now has the heat exchanger on the side of it.........works very well :)
Not sure how it works, but just knows it does.

I can understand the heat exchanger under the propane furnace and how that works, but the one on the hot water heater baffles me.
I do understand the potable water does not mix with the water from the furnace.
Another question........do we leave the electric on for the hot water tank for the heating element or do we turn it off when the OWB is running ?

Clothes dryer is electric but I have spent a good amount of time this summer line drying. Trying to conserve energy and keep the electric costs down.

propane tank

go for a underground tank. they keep a steady temp. also you vown the tank and can get any dealer to fill it. buy your own under ground and have them transfer it:)

If your system is set up properly your gas usage for heat and hot water should be zero. Someone suggested buying a bbq 20lb tank. You can also get 30, 40 and 100lb. They are no problem to get filled. The 100 pounders are a bit heavy when full.

I know alot of people around here who have a pair of the 100# propane tanks for gas fireplace inserts...they are the ones that look like tall skinny welding tanks..yes it's mid 100 pounds when full but my friend wife can even muscle the 60 pound tank into the suv when empty...get a hand cart and it's not hard...get a pair of them so you can get one filled while using the other...you can cook alot of food with one of them.

We are heating our hot water also with the OWB. That is a electric unit, that now has the heat exchanger on the side of it.........works very well :)
Not sure how it works, but just knows it does.

I can understand the heat exchanger under the propane furnace and how that works, but the one on the hot water heater baffles me.
I do understand the potable water does not mix with the water from the furnace.
Another question........do we leave the electric on for the hot water tank for the heating element or do we turn it off when the OWB is running ?

Clothes dryer is electric but I have spent a good amount of time this summer line drying. Trying to conserve energy and keep the electric costs down.

The water heater works like this...the (drinking) water from the water heater passes through a copper tube or coil that passes through another tube or tank that is filled with hot water from the boiler. The heat from the boiler water therefore heats the coil and the drinking water in it. This is then percolated or pumped into the water heater as your hot water.
You can shut the electric off if you want but the heater elements won't come on anyway unless the boiler water cools down. I just leave my water heater turned on.... just in case.

do you have a mixing (or tempering) valve on the heater to control the hot water that come out... most tanks are set about 120-130... boiler water is about 180... with the heat exchanger the hot water in the tank could get to 180.. thats mighty hot its the difference between someone getting badly burnt or just a little discomfort

Back