Proper storage for saws and other equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a reason I moved out west. Humidity is just brutal in the winter.
Humidity a small factor here in winter...just ask the snowmen! Lol. Summertime, it blows, it's an armpit!
Not when you live directly down wind of Superior.
In all honesty when its 20 below in Montana it doesnt even feel that cold because it's so dry
That may be true... There is a lot of water around here!

I use to hang on the south side with some friends from Marquete Park area as a teen! Yikes! Chicago a great city, kinda scary now where ever you go!
Been awhile since back there, we used to hang down on Maxwell St. on Sundays and I still have some furniture from that place to this day , on Saturdays we would all get in a car and cruise all over the city , different places and routes all the time always an adventure
Used to play around by the steel mills on the south side as a kid and that was the coolest thing ever , spent entire days down in those old mills
Spent my whole youth traveling that city and never seen it all , worked concrete construction when got older and mostly worked on Chicago public school projects which eventually afforded me a way out of that place
Wisconsin is good place to live , clean , quite , people are friendly, property outside the cities is affordable ......winters can be a little colder but the summers are cooler and the humidity in the summer sucks in both places......it's a mid-west thing

Been awhile since back there, we used to hang down on Maxwell St. on Sundays and I still have some furniture from that place to this day , on Saturdays we would all get in a car and cruise all over the city , different places and routes all the time always an adventure
Used to play around by the steel mills on the south side as a kid and that was the coolest thing ever , spent entire days down in those old mills
Spent my whole youth traveling that city and never seen it all , worked concrete construction when got older and mostly worked on Chicago public school projects which eventually afforded me a way out of that place
Wisconsin is good place to live , clean , quite , people are friendly, property outside the cities is affordable ......winters can be a little colder but the summers are cooler and the humidity in the summer sucks in both places......it's a mid-west thing
You made a good choice, Chicago sucks now, not like it was, but straight up dangerous now. If my family weren't here, I'd be somewhere else myself.

https://illinoisnewsroom.org/by-the-numbers-chicago-murder-count-through-the-years/
I hope this link works as it shows the murder trends in Chicago

What they show today is inflated drama by the media coverage , I have said this before here but let these stats do the talking now
Chicago has seen 900 plus murders several times in the past ,2016 was the worse in recent years and spiked at 765 but has been less since then but the media blows things up like this never happened in the past ......it's actually been much worse from the 70's thru 2000
Check the stats on my link and you will how FOS the media really is

I used to be a big seafoam fan. Ive seen some experiments where people have mixed it in gas for one mower and not another. Went out months later and both engines started in the same amont of pulls. I still use it but fear it may be snakeoil. Also many of the better two cycle oils have stabilizer already in it.

Run them dry just like you did. Some folks say put a bit of oil in the plug hole.

I run ethanol fuel in everything (with SeaFoam), and haven't had any issues.

I run everything dry when I'm done with it, and have gotten a lot of free equipment, and gotten a lot of engines running for folks that don't.

I used to be a big seafoam fan. Ive seen some experiments where people have mixed it in gas for one mower and not another. Went out months later and both engines started in the same amont of pulls. I still use it but fear it may be snakeoil. Also many of the better two cycle oils have stabilizer already in it.

I used it for the first time when I had some water in the fuel...it cleaned it right up and I have been using it ever since. I don't think that it has the magical properties that some claim, but it does help with water in the fuel, which is an issue with high humidity and ethanol.

Run some motomix through it for 60 seconds or so and then stop the saw.
Pour the remaining motomix that is in the fuel tank, back into its can.

Empty the bar oil tank back into its can and remove the bar and chain.

Sharpen the chain, dress the bar if needed and give the saw a blow off with compressed air all over.

Clean the air filter and put it back on the saw.

I think the biggest takeaway here is, it varies from person to person, place to place. Doesnt matter how you do it, as long as you do something. Everyone seems to have a big love for 100LL. It has 10x more lead in it then gas did for vehicles. I dont want to breath that more so then I dont want to breath normal exhaust fumes. Rec fuel is pretty much widely available anymore and doesnt have lead in it. But again as long as your way works for you I shouldnt complain.

I think the biggest takeaway here is, it varies from person to person, place to place. Doesnt matter how you do it, as long as you do something. Everyone seems to have a big love for 100LL. It has 10x more lead in it then gas did for vehicles. I dont want to breath that more so then I dont want to breath normal exhaust fumes. Rec fuel is pretty much widely available anymore and doesnt have lead in it. But again as long as your way works for you I shouldnt complain.
You are absolutely right that 100LL avgas has a ton of lead in it. I do not and would not reccomend it for daily use. For storage fuel it is unequaled IMO and IME.
FWIW avgas is straight run alkylate with lead added. Aspen, MotoMix, Trufuel, etc are also straight run alkylate minus the lead. They are also insanely over prices and Avgas is not.

My relationship with Chicago is I'm in, do my business, grab some food, than I'm out. Maniac drivers there! Nothing culturally to do since Covid...
You have gotta be missing the food from the city! Try getting good pizza in Denver Colorado unless a Chicago native opened up a place! Lol. I do like Wisconsin, much slower place. I am a country boy at heart. Watching news now, 15 people shot at a party last night in the city...I still holding on to my statement of "yikes"!

I was introduced to Seafoam many years ago by a mechanic friend who swore by it. I had a pickup that didn't pass emissions with the exhaust wand that was used at the time. I put a half bottle of Seafoam in the gas and introduced the rest into a vacuum line on the intake manifold and let it run for twenty minutes fogging the driveway. Drove right to the inspection station and passed clean as a whistle.

Latest posts

Back