Proper storage for saws and other equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do you think it takes the fuel in a diaphragm carb to evaporate? The only difference between running it dry and letting it evaporate is what gets left behind.
A long time. I base this on taking apart a friends trimmer to put a carb kit in it that was laid up last last August. It was still damp inside with fuel.
But I have seen carbs that were dry inside after being stores wet.
Regardless the rubber parts would be coated with a slight film of oil even if the fuel evaporated fully.

A long time. I base this on taking apart a friends trimmer to put a carb kit in it that was laid up last last August. It was still damp inside with fuel.

Probably some water too if he was running ethanol fuel.

Tell him to run it dry, so it won't need another kit...

:laugh:

Probably some water too if he was running ethanol fuel.

Tell him to run it dry, so it won't need another kit...

:laugh:
He wasnt using ethanol. Just a 25 year old FS85.
Another concern with running them dry is you are also running them dry of oil that protects against corrosion while in storage. You can apply fogging while they aren't running, but that doesn't work as well as choking them out on fogging oil. For instance there really isn't a good way to get the big and small end rod bearings coated when you apply through the plug hole.

Another concern with running them dry is you are also running them dry of oil that protects against corrosion while in storage.

I doubt very much that there isn't sufficient oil residue left behind.

I have never done it, but I have heard that a saw that is accidentally straight-gassed does not seize immediately because of the residual oil.

If I was going to put a saw up for a couple of years, I'd consider fogging.

I doubt very much that there isn't sufficient oil residue left behind.

I have never done it, but I have heard that a saw that is accidentally straight-gassed does not seize immediately because of the residual oil.

If I was going to put a saw up for a couple of years, I'd consider fogging.
Not seizing and having sufficient oil to protect against corrosion are two different things.
It only takes a few minutes to get it right, so why not do it right?

Not seizing and having sufficient oil to protect against corrosion are two different things.

I have a hard time believing that you need substantially more oil to protect against corrosion than you do to lubricate a running saw, and a harder time believing that running the tank dry has any noticeable effect on the residual oil in the tank.

It only takes a few minutes to get it right, so why not do it right?

I do.

I have a hard time believing that you need substantially more oil to protect against corrosion than you do to lubricate a running saw, and a harder time believing that running the tank dry has any noticeable effect on the residual oil in the tank.

I do.
Running a saw dry will most certainly decrease the amount of residual oil left in the motor and plenty of engines have seen corrosion damage from being shut down without running them dry.

Latest posts

Back