properly stacked and stickerd wood for drying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:ices_rofl:

:rock:

For those that don't know, a D9 is I think one of the biggest dozers that caterpillar makes.....About the size of an M1 abrams tank.

Macrocarpa is a type of cypress, right?? Forgive me if I'm wrong. It'd be a pity for it to just sit there. I wonder what a 10' bar would cost!! HAHA.

macro is a type of conifer, but it looks very similary to the cypress. I believe they are closely related (if trees have relatives???). Very common tree here, you see them on every farm and every park. People use them to prevent erosion, windbreakers etc

Some pics of the mill, stuff waiting to be stickered, and the trailer is 20ft 2x4s that have been stickered. I am building my house from the tree's that were on the lot. I will be saving almost $5,000 on trusses alone. Hopefully I didn't stray too far from the OP.

Walnutstickered.JPG

cherryflooring.jpg.w110h83.jpg

I sticker all my wood at 16" on center. It is kinda like building a house do you use 24" centers or 16". 16" will be more stable. Note that there is an air gap between the boards as well; this allows the moisture to drop down thru the stack. If you stack outside, raise your stack. If in a grassy area, raise it higher to allow the moisture to drop out the bottom. Note that the Black Walnut is stored up stairs in the barn. This wood has never seen day light since it was milled and washed down. It has great airflow thru it in the upper part of the barn where it is warmer. The cherry short boards are stored down stairs so they will dry slower. I end seal all hardwoods as well.
Highqualitywalnut.JPG

Would you do anything less with wood like this?

Walnutstickered.JPG

cherryflooring.jpg.w110h83.jpg

I sticker all my wood at 16" on center. It is kinda like building a house do you use 24" centers or 16". 16" will be more stable. Note that there is an air gap between the boards as well; this allows the moisture to drop down thru the stack. If you stack outside, raise your stack. If in a grassy area, raise it higher to allow the moisture to drop out the bottom. Note that the Black Walnut is stored up stairs in the barn. This wood has never seen day light since it was milled and washed down. It has great airflow thru it in the upper part of the barn where it is warmer. The cherry short boards are stored down stairs so they will dry slower. I end seal all hardwoods as well.
Highqualitywalnut.JPG

Would you do anything less with wood like this?

great stuff, welcome to AS!

Here's the lumber I stacked on Saturday, there was almost 1000bd/ft. Most of it was already stacked & stickered in bunks from the mill.

Ed

On the trailer:

attachment.php

All done. The lower bunk is American Elm, then Cottonwood, Soft Maple and one layer of White Ash.

attachment.php

NICE PILE BUD!!!!!!

I gotta start stacking high.....I'm running outta room!!!!:dizzy:
Join the running out of room club... stacking high like that against my outbuildings works, but it's a lot of work getting the boards up that high. Notice I only do that high stack with shorts, like 4ft long way up. In my case, I have no choice since I'm busting at the seams with wood, both drying and dead stacked piles. Another problem with stacks that high is of course the wood does move as it dries and shrinks, and thus it could very well come tumbling down if not secured as I have the stack in the last pic in my post. I either use metal packing strapping as in this pic, or just set a 12ft 2x4 against the pile and secure it against the side of the building up top with another shorter 2x4 and some angle brackets.

Join the running out of room club... stacking high like that against my outbuildings works, but it's a lot of work getting the boards up that high. Notice I only do that high stack with shorts, like 4ft long way up. In my case, I have no choice since I'm busting at the seams with wood, both drying and dead stacked piles. Another problem with stacks that high is of course the wood does move as it dries and shrinks, and thus it could very well come tumbling down if not secured as I have the stack in the last pic in my post. I either use metal packing strapping as in this pic, or just set a 12ft 2x4 against the pile and secure it against the side of the building up top with another shorter 2x4 and some angle brackets.

oh nice.....thanks for the tip, I can see the metal strap. I have most of my wood under the porch in the front of the house on one side, and a pile of burls on the other. And a lot of the room is taken up by shorts. I have 6' and 8' piles behind the house with old doors and plywood covering them. Seems to be working. I think I have to consolidate my piles into taller stacks :).

Hey all,
New member, old lurker.
Power Co. came through last year and took down a bunch of stuff in the power line on part of the property. The foreman agreed to leave the wood as logs for me.
Took about 2 1/2 weeks of not always steady work, but the result was almost 4 thousand bd. ft. of a mix of Spruce, White pine, and Red pine.
Sawyer took all the 2x, I kept the slightly over 4/4 stuff.
This isn't quite all of it, but close. Man, I'm tired just thinking about it again, but it WAS fun.

Guess that doesn't show the stickers well, but here's one that's a little better.
Opinions and advice welcome for this newb.

Hey all,
New member, old lurker.
Power Co. came through last year and took down a bunch of stuff in the power line on part of the property. The foreman agreed to leave the wood as logs for me.
Took about 2 1/2 weeks of not always steady work, but the result was almost 4 thousand bd. ft. of a mix of Spruce, White pine, and Red pine.
Sawyer took all the 2x, I kept the slightly over 4/4 stuff.
This isn't quite all of it, but close. Man, I'm tired just thinking about it again, but it WAS fun.

NICE! Looks good. Although, the pile on the trailer looks to be bowing. It needs support on then ends (unless you already moved the pile elsewhere). Nice job :):clap:

Yeah, I kept telling the sawyer that too. He said it's not a big deal, and a couple days later the whole shebang got moved to his snowmobile rental lot right on the highway to be sold.
Figured I did ok, he wanted .23 cents a bd. ft. if all went to me. We agreed on a split that only cost me 2 1/2 weeks of my time and grunt work.
I'm still working on all the slab wood and stuff leftover. That'll be for projects, and firewood.
Yes, I will burn pine this winter along with my oak, etc.

Yeah, I kept telling the sawyer that too. He said it's not a big deal, and a couple days later the whole shebang got moved to his snowmobile rental lot right on the highway to be sold.
Figured I did ok, he wanted .23 cents a bd. ft. if all went to me. We agreed on a split that only cost me 2 1/2 weeks of my time and grunt work.
I'm still working on all the slab wood and stuff leftover. That'll be for projects, and firewood.
Yes, I will burn pine this winter along with my oak, etc.

Very nice catch... and welcome to AS. Not a bad haul for only some labor. 23 cents a bd ft... I'm picturing 100bd ft in my head, $23. Glad I mill my own.

Thanks for the welcome, Woodshop.
I enjoy reading your posts, but only envy the lumber, not the work!:dizzy:

Back