Public Service Announcement: Pack Your Saws Well

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i shipped the 346xp Tbone bought from me he said it over packed and didn't think the saw was in there:msp_mellow:

Hate that that happened to you. Since you've shown how not to do it, we need to show other's how to do it. Im not going to organize these but general summary if you receive a box from me is that there is usually a box within a box. There is foam on the bottom of the box. A thick scabbord is made for the bar. Saw is placed in 2-3 Glad kitchen bags Scented with febreze. I've even sprayed a little FeBreeze in a box before. Box is stuffed with bags, newspaper, bubble wrap etc. Box is wrapped in brown wrapping paper and then no less than an entire roll of tape is used to seal it. And I warn the buyer to exercise patience and prepare to spend quite a bit of time trying to get into the box.

That's just piss poor professionalism on the sender's end. Period.

I'd like to start out by saying that everyone makes mistakes, and blaming or embarrassing someone for mistakes they've made is never helpful. What is helpful, on the other hand, is using a mistake to learn from. This is not a thread for anybody who regularly ships saws (or anything, for that matter), but a thread for people who don't have much experience with packaging/shipping, and would like to see how NOT to do it.

Some time ago I bought a saw from a member here and they shipped it to me. I'll attach photos of exactly how I received the saw, but suffice it to say it wasn't pretty. After a close inspection I found that the only damage the saw suffered was a bent spike; no big deal. I didn't tell the seller anything about it because I'm a "live and let live" kind of guy. I don't fault the seller because they just didn't know any better (or had way too much trust in the package carrier service). I took the pictures of the box and saw as I found it, first on my front step and then as soon as I opened the box.

I would appreciate it if none of you super-sneaky Sherlock Holmes types tried to find out who the seller was. I'm sure they'll read this thread, and I'm sure they'll realize what they did wasn't the correct way to do things. That is NOT the purpose of this thread. The purpose is to teach someone the right way to do it, so that this doesn't happen as much in the future. I figure that the majority of people who ship chainsaws person-to-person in the country/world are members of this forum, so hopefully people who are shipping their first saws soon will see this and remember it.

View attachment 315142View attachment 315143View attachment 315144View attachment 315145View attachment 315146

I get end rolls from the local news paper,,,, when I send a saw I pack the bottom good,, put the saw inside of a garbage bag and tie it tight,, set the saw in and pack the hell out of it all the way around and top,,, I have been told by a couple of members here that there was more paper by weight then the saw:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: but that's ok,, the saws always get there in one piece

That looks like a new higher end Stihl- I would have been pizzed beyond belief. The greater the value- the greater the care should go in to packing. Common sense dictates that. Here are pics of the very first saw I ever sold and shipped. I spent hours getting this thing right. Sold this ported Echo cs520 for $300 shipped with 16'' bar and 20'' bar and new chains for both to PoolDawg.

I send and receive a lot of stuff and from seeing the condition things arrive in, then that helps me know how to pack things. Also, I used to fly for a company that carried packages and saw how they were handled (mishandled)

That said, I recently received a ham radio and power supply that was packed in a box with a couple of those inflated plastic bags. Those are only useful for very light things like small electronics, not 40# radios. All the bags had been popped and I was surprised the stuff even worked.

Anyone that has received a saw from me usually comments on how thoroughly it was packed. From my experience anything that is being shipped should be able to be dropped 4' without damage. If it breaks, it wasn't packed well enough.

Amazon is terrible for packing stuff. They'll throw a socket set in the same box as an SD card and send it out the door.

Double boxing is the key to saw survival...

I bought an 031AV on ebay. It was wrapped in about 5 garbage bags first. Then the fellow put another garbage bag in the bottom of the box. He then used expanding spray foam in the bottom bag and set the saw in before it was done expanding. Then he repeated that process on each of the four sides. When he went to close the box, he first put a bag on top of the saw and sprayed more of the foam in there. He must have had great dexterity to get the box closed fast enough. then he must have used about 2 rolls of heavy boxing tape. I think they could have pushed that box all the way here and the saw would have been unharmed. It was amazing.

I want to thank nmurph :rock: publically for the outstanding packing he did on the MS460 I won in the raffle for (CRS hit me). It was packed better than any saw I have ever bought including NIB saws. :bowdown: :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: King of Packing!!
Shep

I always line the inside of the box with cardboard out of my recycle pile. Then use packing material around the saw and then put more cardboard on top before I close the box.

Latest posts

Back