Pullin em out old style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not horse logging, but a good pic of a BIG draft horse named Jesse that I worked on when I went to the MSU horseshoeing school in the fall of '08. I beleive they just use him to pull a wagon. We figured he was around 17-18 hands. All I know is I am glad he was nice to me:

n1232378057_30199735_8273.jpg
A big boy like that could sure be intimidating. Seems like most of the Draft breeds have good dispositions. It was kinda strange that the three horse team they had on the cart, which consisted of Bill, on the left, Bob on the right, and Johnny in the middle all worked well together,but when they were unhitched, Johnny wanted to bite and kick Bill and Bob.:confused:

if you dont mind me asking, what kind of rate were they charging for pulling the wood to the landing? What kind of terrain were they/you working in?

right now im working for a guy up here in maine that hauls some wood with draft horses. iF the weather gets better any time soon and i ever make it back to the woods ill see if i can get a few pics of the horses in action. They are kinda limited this time of year as to where they can go because of the deep snow and brush, but if you can get the logs to the trail for them they have a pretty easy time hauling them around. Its a totally different type of logging with these guys out there, you really have to be on your toes or your going to get crushed or are going to be chasing a horse down the road.

if you dont mind me asking, what kind of rate were they charging for pulling the wood to the landing? What kind of terrain were they/you working in?
Lots of variables......How far to skid, terrain etc. This job is moderately hilly with trails that cross over creeks. Their going rate is anywhere from .08 to .10 cents per bd ft.

any thing that big that thinks requires me to have a gun at hand

.. The last time I was around a horse ,it tried to kick my head off .......More reciently me and my dog had a stand off with a small herd of Norweigan Fjord horses ...... sept I had a 338 RUM and they figured out real quik I would kill em all if they , about 10 didn,t run for their lives !!!!!!!#### horses ..Worse than a team of sled dogs ...

You couldnt have asked them to politely step out of the frame and take pic of their horses and logs.:monkey:

That's what I was going to say!
Can you get pictures of the carts?
That would be cool too. This is a pretty big forum, maybe there are some Amish
people here who will chime in and post some pics of their equipment.:)

Pictures

Well, the weather here turned cold again and I was able to have more logs skidded out. I was able to take a few pictures as long as I didn't get any face profiles of the guys doin the skidding. It was a pretty cold morning with temps of 4 degrees, but it didn't seem to slow things down much.

The 1st picture isn't very good, but it's of the cart. The second picture was taken about mid morning. You can see the steam coming off the horses in the 4 degree temperature. Picture 3 shows Bill and Bob, a two horse team pullin some out, and the last pic shows the logs that were pulled out by lunch time. At the end of the day they tallied 5100 Bd ft.

Kate and Buck

Here are some pics of my old logging partners. I worked them for ten years and sold them a few months ago. It was really hard to do as I had worked with them longer than I have ever worked with anyone.

I had'nt used them regularly for a year and a half so they were bored. I hated to see them come to the gate in the mornings and want to go to work.
Lots of good times.

Here are some pics of my old logging partners. I worked them for ten years and sold them a few months ago. It was really hard to do as I had worked with them longer than I have ever worked with anyone.

I had'nt used them regularly for a year and a half so they were bored. I hated to see them come to the gate in the mornings and want to go to work.
Lots of good times.

Really nice pictures John. I'll bet those fly harnesses are pretty much mandatory especially in the summer months. I like your log cart. It is in similar design to the one the Amish folks are using. The main differences are that the Amish can only use steel wheels, and they made their cart narrow enough to back into a long livestock trailer. The guy that hauls them to the job site has the cart backed in first (usually they do this with the horses), then they kinda angle their horses in next. All in all, they haul the 5 horses, the cart, harness, oats, hay, and miscellaneous tools.

I'm not for sure if this is true, but an old timer once told me that when a team of horses are hot from working, you can founder them if you placed feed in front of them before they cool down; however, you can place feed in front of mules and they won't touch it until they cool down. Have you ever heard of this?

I'll bet it was pretty tough to have to let them go.

I don't know much about horses, but I have heard the same thing. My mules would shut themselves off eating and drinking, don't think they could founder. But I personally know of one mule that foundered overeating corn, so it is possible. As long as they were not starving, they could pretty much take care of themselves as far as what or when not to eat.

Hi John,

Nice pair of mules. I also like the looks of the arch in the second picture. Hope you'll say a bit more about it. Did you pull it with your forecart? Does it have brakes? How did you get it to straddle the log?

I'm still logging with my horses, but the money is less than it was ten years ago.

Rick

I find it interesting that butt chain harness isn't used. I expect it is because they are on a tongue & not ground skidding. When ground skidding one can double the chains without unhooking as there is a ring on the singletree instead of a hook.

I feel it is better to have a cart no wider than the team. Reasons should be obvious.

Also notice they do not try to deck the logs. It is time consuming to deck with a team.

The arch is an old propane tank trailer that I redone to pull behind the cart. It worked but is far from ideal, too heavy and cumbersome. Would get full suspension on the short logs. I knew that the 1300 lb mules would have a time with the logs on that job so I used it because it was the only way I could log it with what I had. They could walk off like pulling a wagon, but it was hard to position and heavy to back. No brakes. 95% of the time I ground skidded. Used the cart when necessary but only used the arch on that one job.

I find it interesting that butt chain harness isn't used. I expect it is because they are on a tongue & not ground skidding. When ground skidding one can double the chains without unhooking as there is a ring on the singletree instead of a hook.

I feel it is better to have a cart no wider than the team. Reasons should be obvious.

Also notice they do not try to deck the logs. It is time consuming to deck with a team.

There are butt hooks on the end of the traces. The chain is permanently fastened to the singletrees. Works the same way as what you mentioned.
Yes the arch is seven foot wide and as I said far from ideal. The cart can squeeze thru almost as small a hole as the mules can, much narrower and it would turn over too easy.

One time I should have used the quote thing. I was referring to the pics of the amish horses.

Lots of good times.

Really Cool John ... I had no idea mules could work for so many years ......Nice pics ........ I like the modern Big Wheel arch ....

There is a hook on the doubletree.

I hope there is a hook on the doubletree...I was talking about butt chains. With butt chains alot of folks put a ring smaller than the ring on the butt chains on the singletrees.

Back