Putting chainsaw on your bikecycle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a super xl 2 motor on my nephews bike for him worked ok, untill he wrecked it and my sister got pissy at me. The little homelite had a cover over the clutch that I had to cut of with my grinding wheel, WOW does magnesium burn. I also took one of the stunt pegs and mounted it to the sprocket/clutch. I only used the little homelite and my nephew had his eyes on my Husky. I want to build a powerwheels jeep with a chainsaw motor.

I've seen people weld or connect 2 rims together, you have to modify the rear upper frame a bit but use the rim for a belt drive. I'm also keeping an eye out for a nice powerwheels jeep or truck to modify for the kids.

Yup, but how many LEOs are going to know the displacement of, for example, a Homie C5. I know my S.I.L. (St. Joe PD) won't.:laugh:

There are a few L.E.O.'s on AS that'd know Carl......but somehow I doubt that they'd write that ticket. Gotta dig DEEP in the codebook to even find that code methinks...

I'm going the other way, building the first AlGor approved Urth Fiirst pedal powered chainsaw.

I figure a 30" bar in place of the front wheel with pedals connected via chain or a belt to drive the saw chain.

My bud owns a mower & saw shop and we already had the Urth First Model 1 mower there for 2 years as an attention attraction device. Spandex people come from miles away to get pictures taken with the mower, and some become customers. The Town has strict rules about signs, but none regarding works of art.

Ok I gots some pictures for you. It is a friction drive on the back tire. The motor is on a hinge plate and a lever engages the plate/motor to the tire. The guy did have a weird looking license plate on the bike, mot car, not motorcycle. He also wore a stupid looking helmet. Liek he did it jsut to be legal.

My senior project was building a motrized bike. I however used a Honda GX35 4-stroke. I built the bike around the motor. IT was a recumbant, with a monocoque cromoly frame. However I did learn a bunch of stuff about fitting motors onto bikes. One of the ways we came up with mounting this motor on a standard bike was to mount the motor on a back rack. Then use used a double sided hub. These are typically freewheel type hubs wiht threaded body. A freewheel hub has all the racheting mechanisims in the gear set which them threads onto the hub body. Most mondern bikes use a casset type hub, which has the mechanisims within the hub, and the gear set (the cassest) slipped on. A double sided hub is used by two groups of cyclist: BMXer's and Single Speeder's. Single speed freewheels like those found on a BMX bike is typically a freewheel. With a double sided hub they can have two different gears, and flip flop the rear wheel around. Single speeders some times use it for two gears but ususuay have a fixed gear on one side and a free wheel on the other side. Fixies: don't get me started. Them and telmark skiers!!!

When we used such a hub, we put a full gear set on one side and a fixed gear on the other. We then ran a chain down from the motor. I am sure one can replace the gear with a v-belt sheave. My project used V-belts for drive, with jackshafts before the final power drive to the rear wheel. However building the tensioning system was very involved and problematic and never really worked that well. Mainly due to the small gear which tends to slip.

Well enough of my babble on with the show.

Back