Question about pole saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmlehmann

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a good pole saw for home use (about 25' long). The catch is that I want a pole that can be used for more than one application. Specifically, I want to use it for cob web dusting and pesticide application. So, I need one that has a threaded fitting. The only threaded one I have seen is an aluminum pole. Are aluminum poles good? Do they wobble/bend? Can you buy threaded adaptors for Jameson or Marvin wooden/fiberglass poles? Are there brand of poles that i can get a threaded adapter? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

I have used the Silky Hyauchi and ARS aluminum pole saws and prefer them over fiberglass pole saws. Both Aluminum poles are wobbly when fully extended, so it is challenging to saw anything over 2" at full extension. I have never seen a telescoping aluminum pole saw with a threaded end.

painters use poles with threaded ends.

what kind of pesticide does one apply with a pole???

I have a problem with carpenter bees and need to dust the holes.

I thought about a painters pole, but wasn't sure how strong they would be. Do you know if they would work?

This guy is who you might want to talk to

Pole Saw | Tree Pole Saws | Long Pole Saw | Pole Pruners

He has his own pole system and uses marvin heads (not the quick release kind). If anyone can help you, it's this guy.

I would rather have fiberglass poles with a samurai saw on the end than a silky telescoping one, even if the price was the same. I've used both and the silky always gets beat up on a truck. The head mounting always gets bent and eventually the locking part of the poles is broken. I realize you won't be as hard on the equipment as most guys that don't buy it but fiberglass poles have no problem at 3 6 footers (18ft + your height) once you get to 4 poles they get pretty heavy, 6 (36ft) is the most I've ever used and they have some bend in them then.

Thanks for the advice. The system you commented on is the same one I was considering. Do you know if the aluminum poles are rigid enough to cut well?

Thanks,
Dave

I have never used his system, but I know it's very popular and it's really taken off among homeowners. He uses a marvin saw head, a marvin hook blade and a marvin bullpruner, all of which I've used professionally with marvin poles although I recent switched my saw blade to a samurai gc400 and am not looking back. The pruner is the best pruner head made, the corona big bites springs suck and it is a pos.

I have a feeling if his system wasn't better than the marvins he'd just be selling marvin or jameson. I prefer the use of a fiberglass pole otherwise I'd try his.

Also the sawing motion is only on the pull stroke so that really probably isn't an issue, I'd just get higher quality blade. silky is proprietary to their saws so you are left with fanno, ars, samurai, etc. If you're cutting big limbs consider a saw blade with a branch cutter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back