Question about Woods Porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you can't blame the bannings on this thread, they can however be blamed on the person himself. You have to take responsibility for oneself.

$80?? Seriously? I almost find that hard to believe, unless your good at favors.:monkey:

You asked, I told you. No favors to offer either, Nothing I can do that he can't. It is what it is. I told you guys a long time ago he isn't in the buisness to port saws, and that is exactly what he told me:cheers:

You asked, I told you. No favors to offer either, Nothing I can do that he can't. It is what it is. I told you guys a long time ago he isn't in the buisness to port saws, and that is exactly what he told me:cheers:

Oh, I know that he is not in business for that. Well if ya paid $80 that's a smokin deal.

I dont know how to explain this to you guys. They spent at least 3 hours going through my saw. Replacing this and that. Then porting, muff modding and advancing the timing. This is a saw shop has been around longer then I've been alive. I hardly think they do subpar work and are still around. Maybe since they know how to mod husky saws and have been doing it so long it doesnt take them as long as the internet porters then they can do it faster. Again if you want to see their work then I'll bring my saw to a gtg and you can investigate.

The saws they have ported for me run great. I'm just trying to give the original poster an option that is more reasonable then some of the guys on here. I'm not saying they do better work but they do great work for way less.

I just want to add, before I go to bed. That this shop has been around for 40 some years. They don't advertist. They only use word of mouth.
If you go there on a rainy day, when all the loggers aren't cutting, it's nothing to have to wait for hours to get your saws worked on. And that is with 4 guys working on saws.
They don't like you to leave your saws, if you do it will be months if not a year before you see it again. They only work on saws that are left in their spare time.
So I never go there unless I have a half day or more to spare.

Is this the shop you guys mentioned in the past that wanted you to run 100 octane or higher gas in the saws they built?

I have a definite problem with any dealer telling a customer that a "woods ported" saw has to be run on 100 octane or higher gas. That's ridiculous.

Jacob, this saw isn't even woods ported. I saw pictures of the cylinder and reported my findings earlier in this thread. Also, nothing has been done to alter compression.

Jacob, this saw isn't even woods ported. I saw pictures of the cylinder and reported my findings earlier in this thread. Also, nothing has been done to alter compression.

Ok, well I wasn't sure if it was the same shop or not. I remember someone bragging about a saw shop in Indiana doing low-cost hotrod woods builds and then telling their customers the saws had to be run on ultra high octane fuel.

Sure I'll buy that, but we are just talking about woods porting too, not full out race saws with every added extra port there is room for.:D

I know what you mean, but you're comparing apples to oranges.

I won't bicker about what a good woods porting costs, that's completely up to the buyer. As with anything, they should be smart enough to gather intel and shop around. I've seen people clip a 40-cent coupon for a loaf of bread and then turn right around and pay $8-10k in interest to drive a new pickup for two years.

I have a definite problem with any dealer telling a customer that a "woods ported" saw has to be run on 100 octane or higher gas. That's ridiculous.

Ya it sounds a bit funny.

Ok, well I wasn't sure if it was the same shop or not. I remember someone bragging about a saw shop in Indiana doing low-cost hotrod woods builds and then telling their customers the saws had to be run on ultra high octane fuel.

Ya, I think its the same place, and I think I know who it is, but don't want to name any names, no good can come of it.

Ya it sounds a bit funny.

Ya, I think its the same place, and I think I know who it is, but don't want to name any names, no good can come of it.

Its not D and D. They tune it to whatever you want to run. They did a 372 for me that was tuned to pump gas, the 390 is burning 100LL.

What is a woods port? Maybe it would help all of those following this thread to define it.

its evedintly more than what you got.
generally the squish is reduced to give more compression ,either by removing factory gasket and putting in something thinner or by milling the p and c.
the intake and exhaust ports are widened to maximize flow. the timing on the ports may or may not be changed. the transfers could be worked on to flow better .the flywheel timing could be advanced. the carb may get bored. the muffler will be opened up. if i have missed any thing folks feels free to add to this list.

The bare minimum of a woods port would be to widen the intake and exhaust and set the squish. Additionally, the transfers may be widened, port timing may be altered. The muffler is always modded. Exactly what's done will vary from builder to builder, but the above is the basic recipe. Yes, more may be done, but most anything else would venture outside the realms of a woods port.

The bare minimum of a woods port would be to widen the intake and exhaust and set the squish. Additionally, the transfers may be widened, port timing may be altered. The muffler is always modded. Exactly what's done will vary from builder to builder, but the above is the basic recipe. Yes, more may be done, but most anything else would venture outside the realms of a woods port.

Thanks Brad. But you have to admit there is an awful lot of builder descretion.

Latest posts

Back