Question about Woods Porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's hard to say unless you can see what they do, I don't see how people pay 250+ for some of the port jobs they get. I'd like to know what a guy really gets for his 250+, plus shipping. If I sent a saw out and got it back and it yields 15-20% I'd feel like I was farked really hard. I won't buy on that just because these fella's in Southern Indiana charging 90.00 aren't giving the same thing some of the "pro's" on the net are doing, anyone can grind ports wider, and drill holes in the muffler, it takes someone with some knowledge to start changing timing and making them go.

Yes very true. But I can't see them doing much for $90, they are trying to run a business, and if I'm not mistaken your in business to make MONEY! not give it away.

Yes its easy to grind a little bit and make the ports wider and punch a extra hole in the muffler.

Yes very true. But I can't see them doing much for $90, they are trying to run a business, and if I'm not mistaken your in business to make MONEY! not give it away.

Yes its easy to grind a little bit and make the ports wider and punch a extra hole in the muffler.

I don't know maybe the are making money doing it, I doubt it is a high volume shop. I'm sure there is something else they do unless it is a hobby shop. But lets break it down for fun, so say the average woods port take 3 hours to take apart grind the intake and exhaust and redrill the muffler larger put back together and retune. I think if a guy was ambitious like Brad it could be done faster. I know I can get a 066 cylinder off and one in about 15 minutes talking to the kids. S0 30.00/hr isn't a bad profit, so lets see what a guy that charges 250.00 for 3 hours work in netting 83.33 an hour, alot of these guys do this work from home so not much overhead. I think 90.00 is more in line for a woods port.

I don't know maybe the are making money doing it, I doubt it is a high volume shop. I'm sure there is something else they do unless it is a hobby shop. But lets break it down for fun, so say the average woods port take 3 hours to take apart grind the intake and exhaust and redrill the muffler larger put back together and retune. I think if a guy was ambitious like Brad it could be done faster. I know I can get a 066 cylinder off and one in about 15 minutes talking to the kids. S0 30.00/hr isn't a bad profit, so lets see what a guy that charges 250.00 for 3 hours work in netting 83.33 an hour, alot of these guys do this work from home so not much overhead. I think 90.00 is more in line for a woods port.

Maybe I guess. I'm just comparing to what I do, and I spend much more time.

Ok then, say your running a Saw shop, who is doing the work? An employee? Let keep it as having a shop as this Double D shop does. You must pay the employee and hourly wage, unless he is working for free? What's and average wage to make at a saw shop, lets say its $15 per hour, and I wouldn't do it for that but that's me. So that leaves $15 per hour for the business, out of that $15 how much goes to overhead, after all it cost's money to run a shop weather you own the land and building or not, there is tools to buy, bills to pay. Say out of that $5 goes to overhead and bills, tools. That's $10 profit for 3hrs work. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Maybe I guess. I'm just comparing to what I do, and I spend much more time.

Ok then, say your running a Saw shop, who is doing the work? An employee? Let keep it as having a shop as this Double D shop does. You must pay the employee and hourly wage, unless he is working for free? What's and average wage to make at a saw shop, lets say its $15 per hour, and I wouldn't do it for that but that's me. So that leaves $15 per hour for the business, out of that $15 how much goes to overhead, after all it cost's money to run a shop weather you own the land and building or not, there is tools to buy, bills to pay. Say out of that $5 goes to overhead and bills, tools. That's $10 profit for 3hrs work. Pretty sad if you ask me.

I don't doubt it might take you long but how long does it take you to do a woods port and what all is involved with what YOU do. I know differnt people do different things, do you have alot of overhead for porting saws?

Equipment is pretty minmal for such a shop, I would say a good saw porter should have a lathe and maybe a mill, tig welder and a good hand piece to grind with, though I think a lot of guys use a 50.00 dremel. So I could see 3-4 thousand in decent equipment, for the most part if you have a garage or a good work space you can port saws. It's not like a shop for semi's. I seriously doubt this D&D just ports saws if it is a full fledge saw shop I would bet they are into OPE selling and servicing with doing some porting on the side. I don't see anyone opening a shop to just port saws, especially with the EPA frowning on such a thing. If someone know what the shop does for sure, chime in. If they do by chance just port saws I bet they don't have a shop in town and it is out of the pole building tyoe buisness, I have a guy near me that does this exact thing, he owns a tree service by day and a saw reapir shop at night for a hobby. Nothing fancy just a nice setup out of his pole barn he already has had.

I don't doubt it might take you long but how long does it take you to do a woods port and what all is involved with what YOU do. I know differnt people do different things, do you have alot of overhead for porting saws?

Equipment is pretty minmal for such a shop, I would say a good saw porter should have a lathe and maybe a mill, tig welder and a good hand piece to grind with, though I think a lot of guys use a 50.00 dremel. So I could see 3-4 thousand in decent equipment, for the most part if you have a garage or a good work space you can port saws. It's not like a shop for semi's. I seriously doubt this D&D just ports saws if it is a full fledge saw shop I would bet they are into OPE selling and servicing with doing some porting on the side. I don't see anyone opening a shop to just port saws, especially with the EPA frowning on such a thing. If someone know what the shop does for sure, chime in. If they do by chance just port saws I bet they don't have a shop in town and it is out of the pole building tyoe buisness, I have a guy near me that does this exact thing, he owns a tree service by day and a saw reapir shop at night for a hobby. Nothing fancy just a nice setup out of his pole barn he already has had.

This D&D shop does allot more then porting. I have allot of tools, including a lathe, and I do machine work on all my port jobs. But I don't port other people saws, just my own.

This place has a big shop by the sounds of it. So lets keep it about this shop and not what other people do.

And my math was off, $90 for 3 hours. Labour to pay your employee is say $45 for that 3hrs, and that's cheap. That's $45 left for the shop, that's $15 per hour profit for the shop, now take say $5 for overhead per hour, then that leaves $10 per hour profit. You can't make a living at that. IMHO you can't even pay the bills.

This D&D shop does allot more then porting. I have allot of tools, including a lathe, and I do machine work on all my port jobs. But I don't port other people saws, just my own.

This place has a big shop by the sounds of it. So lets keep it about this shop and not what other people do.

And my math was off, $90 for 3 hours. Labour to pay your employee is say $45 for that 3hrs, and that's cheap. That's $45 left for the shop, that's $15 per hour profit for the shop, now take say $5 for overhead per hour, then that leaves $10 per hour profit. You can't make a living at that. IMHO you can't even pay the bills.

Well there you go, they do more than port work, thats how they keep their doors open.:)

I think 90.00 dollars is a fair price for a typical woods port saw. But to say you aren't getting much for 90.00 isn't a fair statement, you might get more than you bargained for. Just becasue people on the net are charging big dollars to port and people pay doesn't mean you are getting the best for your money. I've seen some instances first hand where a guy has paid good money to have his saw ported to find out it wasn't what he thought when compared to others. As far as keeping the topic about this shop is a little bogus too, the whole debate was wether this shop's work compared to higher priced porters:)

They are a husky dealer. They sell all types of equipment, and as far as I noticed they service pretty much anything. One of the owners does the mods, and he doesnt share the secrets with the other employees. While he worked over my saw about 30 people came and went having other things fixed or buying something. They were all taken care of by the other brother or the workers. It is a small shop that seems to do a great ammount of business. The guys are super friendly and knowlegable. In my few visits they have taught me all types of stuff about saws, if you havent been there make the trip.

Well there you go, they do more than port work, thats how they keep their doors open.:)

I think 90.00 dollars is a fair price for a typical woods port saw. But to say you aren't getting much for 90.00 isn't a fair statement, you might get more than you bargained for. Just becasue people on the net are charging big dollars to port and people pay doesn't mean you are getting the best for your money. I've seen some instances first hand where a guy has paid good money to have his saw ported to find out it wasn't what he thought when compared to others. As far as keeping the topic about this shop is a little bogus too, the whole debate was wether this shop's work compared to higher priced porters:)

I agree, beating a dead horse. I only recommended them as another option to the internet porters. I and many others have had good results using them and they are above reasonable. The OP can decide if he wants to use them or not. Everyone else just jumped in to say that for that price they cant be doing complete and good work, in my opinion that is a very big assumption from people that have never used them.

:deadhorse:

Because of the diminishing returns on porting I'll bet that the % of power gained/dollar ratio is way better on the $90 port job.

A guy who I went to college with in carbondale still lives down there. He runs a tree service. He has had 6 or 7 saws done by them. Those things run real good. He told me the guys name that does the work a while back. But, I can't remember the guys name.

Yep, I understand.

I don't think $250 is big dollars, its no cheap but not big. Myself, I would not do it for $250, and I'm no pro. My time is just worth more then that to me. What if you farked something up? Do you just give the guy back a $1000 saw that is now worthless? Or do you spot him a new $1000 saw?

What did you pay copesy to do that 7900? Now I know its a kick ass saw, that is one fast bugger? But lets bring things into perspective here! Maybe he gave you a deal? Maybe not?

So when are you sending one of your saws out for a $90 port job?

i agree with that. pop the cylinder, measure the piston and widen the E/I, bevel the edges of the ports, knock a hole in the muffler and call it good. the customer gets a noticible gain and doesn't lose much in durability. they are happy bc they only spent a ben on it and ignorance is bliss bc they don't know how much gain is left on the table with this minimalist port job.

i agree with that. pop the cylinder, measure the piston and widen the E/I, bevel the edges of the ports, knock a hole in the muffler and call it good. the customer gets a noticible gain and doesn't lose much in durability. they are happy bc they only spent a ben on it and ignorance is bliss bc they don't know how much gain is left on the table with this minimalist port job.

So do you internet porter experts honor the husky warrenty after you do your work? They do.

So true, until they run one faster.

Stock saws run good too.

Not like his they don't. The last time I was down there we ran a few of them against a couple of his stockers....big difference. I'm not muck of a husky guy but I thinks they were 372's and 390's or 95's

saw shop rates around here are 60 an hr. so it would be really hard to get much for 90 bucks. figure disassembly and reassembly you get an hour worth of porting work. just the 288 exhaust hood and screen would cost 20bucks wouldnt it? im betting its a muffler modd and setting squish with no grinding done. that would be better than stock , should be a noticeable difference in power. that would fit the 90 dollar bill around here. if they do good work and the saws run good and folks are happy with them,good for them. thats why they have been in bussiness for so long. but you sure cant get a good woods port around here for that kind of money.. nuff said

Latest posts

Back