Question about Woods Porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new here and don't want to step on any toes.But the guy that used to work on my saws was the cheapest around and did the best work.He was an Amish guy with low overhead like this d&d place.Stayed wicked busy.All the local loggers used him.My logger buddies turned me on to him.He sold Husky,Jred &Olympyk(efco) and worked on anything with a small engine.
He did "cookie cutter" port and polish & muf mod cheap.He would also build a full blown race saw but you paid for it.That being said most guys that wanted a mod went cheap because there was a noticeable gain for not a lot of $.
When I was doing alot of clearing for new construction at the end of the day the modded saws were worth it.More work done in less time = more profit.Now with herniated and ruptured discs,more power,less weight is worth it.
I've been in business for myself for 17 years.In construction a 33% net profit would be great.With all the insurance etc. an $18/hr guy cost me about $26/hr.In the tattoo business I'm in now it's all subcontract/piecework.

Wow leave me out. this went way further in the last half hour.I had to stop my post and feed kittens.When I came back........:jawdrop:

So he doesn't share their super special $90 secret port jobs with their employee's, but yet you can stand there and watch everything that he does!! LOL, geeze this gets good. I'm sure Husky would love to know they are still offering a warranty on their modded huskies.

Yes you simple MFer. Is it that hard for you to under stand? Its hard enough to get tools into the cylinder so you cant see much.

I mean stock saws run great and will do the job just as well as a modified saw.

I think you should run a good ported saw and see if you still feel the same way. Excelent point on keeping a sharp chain, but a sharp chain just compounds the gains of a ported saw.

I have showed up at a few wood cutting days with what I would call strong ported work saws and square ground work chain and been cutting easily 3 to 4 times faster than equal cc saws that were bone stock with hand filed round chain, the look on a guys face when even his 90 or 100 cc monster saw gets out cut bad by a little 50-60 cc ported saw is priceless.

It is easy for someone to have $10,000 plus tied up in tools to port saws, just a simple lathe, mill, decent welder, grinder and hand tools and unless they are just copycat or guess porting some design software.

At $90 a saw it would take over a 100 saws just to pay the tools not to mention any wage, hydro, taxes, consumables, repair or upgrades for the tools.

Sure it's possible to give a saw a little port work in a couple hours and get some decent gains, thats fine if a guy drops of a good running saw and comes back to pick it up later.

In the real world what goes into a good ported saw?

first off it gets shipped most times requiring trips to pick things up, time to unpack, refuel. A good 50% of the time saws have issues to start and work and adjustment just to get them running right in the first place. SOme times pistons, rings, carb kits or other parts need replacing.

Then there is the design, for basic work to get modest gains with a bit of experience yes there are things that can be done to get gains but to get the most out of each saw I don't see much option but to use some computer modeling. I guess the option is the try and see method and there have been many dust ups here on the net about it... a builder sends one good saw then one dog, why? because the builder is mostly guessing and trying different things on peoples saws. To model a saw it takes a couple hours work to do the measuring and a few more working out the design. Over time a data base of desings can be put together and it becomes easier to develop porting designs for simmilar saw models.

Then there is the work, grinders don't last forever and cutters, sanding drums and polishing wheels far less all costing money to replace. Making dozens of jigs for holding all sorts of pistons and cylinders takes time and lacking those jigs truing parts on a lathe takes more time yet.

I know many guys don't touch carbs in port jobs, but if the fuel and flow demmands of the engine are modified then the carb will not provide the ideal mixture. Plain and simple gains are had by doing work to the carb and intake tract. Add another hour or so to the job.

If some caluclations and computer work are done final compression can be worked out pretty close, if not most times the saw needs to go together and come back apart a few times to get the compression and squish in range.

Once it is all together then it needs to be set back up and to do a good job likely ran for a tank of fuel or two to settle the rings and make sure everything is right.

Drain it all out, purge the gas tank, clean the saw, pack it back up many times finding a new box to replace the original shipping box and a trip to the post office/shipper.

The time involved will easily eat up a full day plus. $20-$25 an hour for skilled labour in a shop is cheap, likely too cheap.

The menu is there for everybody to pick from, you can order a hamburger or a steak. Hamburgers are good sometimes, steaks are better but cost more... Just don't try to sell me a "hamburger" as "steak on a bun" at twice the price.

Last edited:
ease up..........i'm trying to help understand what you might get for a $90 and why people are so happy to have them done at the double d. i always get suspicious of people who get so defensive.

shrub, stop trying to be the rodney king of this arguement. you sound more like rodney dangerfield. you're new, this is just a family squabble.

Oh nmurph, listen up. I was simply trying to ease the tension because you immature morons are going at it like a couple of elementary students fighting over a cupcake. But don't you EVER freaking compare me to rodney king, ever. And telling me I sound more like rodney dangerfield, is that supposed to mean that I sound stupid? Or is that supposed to mean that I am amusing you because I am trying to ease things up or what? I think the best course of action would be for me to avoid this childish argument altogether. But I will tell ya one thing buttercup, comparing me to people when you don't have the slightest clue of who I am or what I am like in real life just shows what a moron you really are. Making those kinds of assumptions about me in real life would not end well for whatever ignorant fool made that mistake.

Wow. This thread has gotten some panties twisted.

This all started by someone stating a fact, you get what you pay for, and that is a fact.

What Timberwolf can do to a saw can't be done while someone watches over his shoulder. The man can build a hell of a fast saw, for work or play.

Us getting all worked up over this is crazy guys. I came to this site and others hoping to learn some of the tricks that the "internet porters" have learned over the years of hard work and study.

Do I do a saw like Timberwolf or some of these other guys that have all the right equipment to blueprint a saw? Hell no. And the point of this thread that some of you guys are missing is that a three hour port job can't match that level of detail either. There is just no way. Is it possible to increase the performance of a saw in that amount of time? Of course it is.

Is this saw shop in Indiana ripping people off? Hell no, I'm sure they wouldn't have been in business for forty years if they were. I'm sure that the saws they modd show an increase in power over a stock saw. But will one of their three hour port jobs cut as well as one of Timberwolf's modded saws? Of course not. Because you get what you pay for.

You guys can pile on me if you want to, hell I won't even get mad about it. If you can't see the difference in this comparison I've made watch this video.

object>

I see the can of fake whoop ass got bent over

Try some finger porting. Helps the motor maintain rpm's in the cut and spools super quicklike. Above all else, keep them symmetrical and make them look good:yoyo:

photo25.jpg

Here's Frank aka gink running my 5100 motor with finger porting. And when you want a go fast toy, build a pipe;)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieKTORoXXqY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ieKTORoXXqY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ABz12YPnixw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ABz12YPnixw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Chevytown I have a ? Is that the jug off the 5100? If so were are the ring ends? The reason I'm asking is I was worried I pulled my transfers too close on my second port job too far.I can't get them that far without ring ends going in them.Ithought I was being conservative and I guess I am.lol.I'm brand new to modding. Thanks to you "internet porters" I've learned alot I wanted to know for years.

Oh nmurph, listen up. I was simply trying to ease the tension because you immature morons are going at it like a couple of elementary students fighting over a cupcake. But don't you EVER freaking compare me to rodney king, ever. And telling me I sound more like rodney dangerfield, is that supposed to mean that I sound stupid? Or is that supposed to mean that I am amusing you because I am trying to ease things up or what? I think the best course of action would be for me to avoid this childish argument altogether. But I will tell ya one thing buttercup, comparing me to people when you don't have the slightest clue of who I am or what I am like in real life just shows what a moron you really are. Making those kinds of assumptions about me in real life would not end well for whatever ignorant fool made that mistake.

i'm sorry, calling you rodney king was giving you too much credit. sugar buns, if you get this worked up about such things, the best thing for you to do is to delete you browser history, empty your cookies and forget that you ever ventured here. you need to stop, grab your big girl panties and give'em a tug. i guess it's ok for you to call someone a moron, but you can't take it when someone pokes at you. i bet your a lot of fun in a card game. there are other forums for those that only play nice, around here we like to have a little fun. :laugh::laugh:

Is it show off 50cc saw time, lol?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/presprLbfpU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/presprLbfpU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Super had Pin Oak.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMr7stjdR7c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vMr7stjdR7c?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dude, I can take a joke as well as anyone. But not from a complete stranger. Someone I have known a while, sure. A friend or family member, sure. We rip on each other and crack jokes with the best of em! But from some guy I don't know from Adam, that does not fly with me. Maybe you don't understand that method of thinking, hell I don't know. But I was brought up to treat others the way I would expect to be treated and to be respectful until I am disrespected. I was simply following my moral compass here man. That is why I was not the one who resorted to comparisons and name calling in the first place. I never would have called you a moron if you had not made the comment that you did.

Back