Question/ back up saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rsquared

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I said a 2nd saw for back up. After describing a few that I desired, she said," pick one out and I will buy it". Sounds good right? However, I would like to comb thru the Arborist classifieds to find one, but when I log in, it says I do not have access to the classifieds. I have viewed the classified section in the past, but now a no go. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, R2

I might be wrong but didn't they do away with the classifieds? Instead there is a section called Trading Posts where all the stuff is listed. For me, I don't even see a classifieds button at the top.

It's listed under auctions, then when you click over it is trading post....dont ask me...

right now there is a mastermind ported echo 520 that is a heckuva good deal, like just about getting a free saw (50 cc class). check out the vid of that thing just ripping through wood.

numerous other saws, various sizes and prices, from large to small, cheap to dang nice wish I had the money

http://www.arboristsite.com/tradin-post/

Rsquared, it's like the political forum you have to get permission to enter. For the Classfied forum we'll need a note from your wife saying you can go in and your credit limit.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Good Backup Saw

I have several good backup saws. A vintage Sears Craftsman 42 with an 18" bar tops the list. It backs up my Stihl MS290 that needs no backup.

You could buy a brand new saw at Menard's for $100 that would do the same thing. I guy gave me the Craftsman 42 as he left town. He broke the pull cord after he left the spark plug loose. Took me 20 minutes to fix it. Saw runs perfectly.

My back up saw is a Husqvarna 455 w/ a 20" bar. The only time I even think about that saw is if I'm going cutting alone, just in case I do something stupid to the everyday saw. STIHL 460 w/ BIGBORE!!!!!!! First few times you cut for an extended amout of time you can't use your hands/arms for a day or two, but cutting big wood you need the power

I always have my stihl 170 with me as a backup saw and I usually end up doing a pile of cutting with it. After my arms are tired from the bigger saws ( 260 or 360) I grab the 170 and finish out the day. At the end of the day my back and arms thank me. Some days I just go to the bush (we bought the tops from a thinning) and walk around just cutting standing dead stuff or just trimming up tops to get them ready to pull later when I have help. I carry the 170 and a backpack with fuel, oil, scwrench and a couple of chains, I do alot of walking and cutting, no tired arms.

My two main saws are a 372 XP and a 346 XP. My back up saw is a 359 that won't work as well as those two in their intended uses but will take the place of either one if they go down.

My two main saws are a 372 XP and a 346 XP. My back up saw is a 359 that won't work as well as those two in their intended uses but will take the place of either one if they go down.

That's my feeling too, only in orange and black. My 5100 is a good saw in it's own right, but it's not the small saw that my 420 is, or the big saw that my 7300 is. It can do 95% of the wood I cut though, and it's there if one of the others should go down.

For the OP, I don't know what your main saw is, but I'd consider something that uses the same bar mount and chain pitch as your current saw, just for ease of buying spare stuff, the ability to swap out a bar if need be, less different sizes/lengths of chain to keep seperated, etc. Look for a saw a size or two smaller if your current saw is "enough" for what you do, or a bit bigger if you feel outgunned often. A used bigger saw can be had cheaper than a new smaller pro saw if you look around for a bit and aren't in a hurry to have one right now.

Soon your backup saw will need a backup, and then you'll need one with a full wrap handle, then a top handle, then a couple old ones just for show, then...well, ya know, CAD!

I think she is offering so she can keep me out of the house. It sounds like she is encouraging me to buy a brand new saw thus making my Husq the back up. Now comes the decision dilemma.. Have a Stihl dealer and a Husq dealer within 4 miles of my house.. Hang on, and I will let you guys know what I decide.:dizzy:

I think she is offering so she can keep me out of the house. It sounds like she is encouraging me to buy a brand new saw thus making my Husq the back up. Now comes the decision dilemma.. Have a Stihl dealer and a Husq dealer within 4 miles of my house.. Hang on, and I will let you guys know what I decide.:dizzy:

does she know there are two grand chainsaws? bwahahaha

If it was new and anything goes, one of the two big kahunas! 60" bars!

Back