question for dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms290kubota174

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
this is how the story goes. Last week i went and bought a 192t. He (dealer) went and gas it up and started the saw. It was stalling out so he took it in the back adjusted the carb and said he you go and i started to and it ran and i was happy or i tought.

I went home and started cutting and kept dieing in the cut ,stalling and was not happy after 1 full tank. Went back to the dealer and I asked for another one since the one i had was not running right. He said since i cut wood with it he could not take it back since stihl does not appect saws back once they get in the wood. He and I went to the shop to see if he could fix it buy taking the carb apart to clean it. I told him i had to go and would not be back for a while (days) and needed the saw.

Anyway He couldnt get the saw to run rite and traded the other one out, i kept the old bar and chain brake cover. Is what he said is true stihl will not take back the saw, stihl wants their dealers to fix wut might be broken then just tradeing out the saw for another???? sry for the story

There are plenty of reports here that Stihl has authorized dealers to replace "in warranty" saws under certain circumstances in the name of customer satisfaction.

However I'm sure Stihl also expects dealers to try and correct problems since most of them are minor/easy fixes. That's why Stihl requires dealers to have trained techs and service departments. (however some dealers obviously fall short)

If the dealer is unable to quickly resolve your issues contact Stihl. Stihl is pretty good in standing behind their product based on stories here at AS.

P.S. Does anyone know what Stihl does with their refurbished saws? Surely the factory ends up with some they can't sell as new.

Last edited:
This is what happens in most cases, when one won't work right out of the box.
-You bring the saw back, and we try and fix it. If we can't get to run, we call the warranty dept. and tell them what is wrong with the saw and what we've done to fix it.

- If they feel it's something simple like, the carb is junk we replace the carb and it's all covered under warranty.

-If we've done everything within reason and it just seems to be a dud, they'll tell us to put your used bar and chain on a new power head and send you on your way.

This past summer we had a guy with a MS250 Easy Start, that busted the bar stud out of the case. It was obvious that there was a defect with the case from the factory. To replace the engine housing would be 105$ for the part and at least an hour labor. So the warranty guy told me to just take him bar and chain and grab a new MS250 Easy Start off the shelf and it was all covered.

Accepting a lemon saw back for a new one seems to be up to the dealer. But either way, your saw should be repaired, and if it can't be repaired it should be replaced under warranty.

well i found out wut happen to the saw the lower end had a leak in it. would that be a dud or fixable. well i think much better of my dealer for giving me a new one but if he would have said no to me getting a new saw i would have asked for my money back. even if there was something little wrong with it that was fixable it should be right out of the box, thats why we buy stihl right?? instead of going to shoebox store where i can return almost anything no questions asked???

There are plenty of reports here that Stihl has authorized dealers to replace "in warranty" saws under certain circumstances in the name of customer satisfaction.

However I'm sure Stihl also expects dealers to try and correct problems since most of them are minor/easy fixes. That's why Stihl requires dealers to have trained techs and service departments. (however some dealers obviously fall short)

If the dealer is unable to quickly resolve your issues contact Stihl. Stihl is pretty good in standing behind their product based on stories here at AS.

P.S. Does anyone know what Stihl does with their refurbished saws? Surely the factory ends up with some they can't sell as new.

xmas presents

even if there was something little wrong with it that was fixable it should be right out of the box, thats why we buy stihl right?? instead of going to shoebox store where i can return almost anything no questions asked???

Just like any product thats why there is a warranty on it. People still assemble the parts and there is no way to guarantee that everything is perfect every time that is what a warranty is in place for. Thats why you spend the money on STIHL. If you buy a car and the stereo doesn't work you expect the dealer to give you a new one?? If the dealer is willing to fix it for you at no charge than let him fix it. Yeah it is unfortunate you had a problem but let the warranty do what it is meant to do.

If something is wrong with it and you expect to get another one anytime something goes wrong go to the shoebox store and buy one.

Last edited:

As far as I know the dealers cannot return saws to the factory any saws that are warrantied out are returned to the distributor and probably thrown away i don't think they reuse saws thats ridiculous.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a 210 that I bought last spring. I bought it to clean up my property and used it for one weekend. However, that weekend I had problems with it not idling correctly. Every time I picked up the saw it would die. I brought it in on sat. and they "adjusted" the carb. And the guy said it really isn't suppose to idle that great and it's a high reving engine and that it's not meant to idle for very long. Stihl had problems with it the rest of sat. and all day sunday. Brought it back the next monday. Told them it wouldn't idle. Guy looks at me funny and says you just don't know how to tune the saw. So he takes it out back and "tunes" it.

Fast forward several months till fall and I wanna cut more wood and I have the same problems. Take it back in and he says it needs tuned up. He tries for 10min. with no good results. Takes it to the back and tells me there is a pin hole in the fuel line. They replace it quick and they Stihl have the same problems. So then they say it's a leaky carb. and they need to fix it next day in the shop. They don't call next day. I call day after that and they still don't know. They call back and say it's a bad carb. but don't have any in stock. This is a fri. and I wanna cut wood sat. I'm getting kinda upset now!

So the manager says he can't refund the money or exchange it because they only do that if I bring it back in the first wk of purchase, which I did bring it back twice for the same problem.

Finally he allowed me to exchange it for the full price I paid and I upgraded. It was like pulling teeth though!!!! OH the oiler quit too on it... Is that Stihl quality or what?!

Just like any product thats why there is a warranty on it. People still assemble the parts and there is no way to guarantee that everything is perfect every time that is what a warranty is in place for. Thats why you spend the money on STIHL. If you buy a car and the stereo doesn't work you expect the dealer to give you a new one?? If the dealer is willing to fix it for you at no charge than let him fix it. Yeah it is unfortunate you had a problem but let the warranty do what it is meant to do.

If something is wrong with it and you expect to get another one anytime something goes wrong go to the shoebox store and buy one.

In this case it wasn't just like a stereo that wasn't working it didn't run right. If I bought a new car and it didn't run right off the showroom floor I'd take it back and either get a new car or my money back.

And I don't think he is expecting a new saw anytime anything goes wrong with it, it wasn't right before he even left the dealer. IMHO he isn't being unreasonable at all. I'd feel the same.

I had a similar problem with a 210 that I bought last spring. I bought it to clean up my property and used it for one weekend. However, that weekend I had problems with it not idling correctly. Every time I picked up the saw it would die. I brought it in on sat. and they "adjusted" the carb. And the guy said it really isn't suppose to idle that great and it's a high reving engine and that it's not meant to idle for very long. Stihl had problems with it the rest of sat. and all day sunday. Brought it back the next monday. Told them it wouldn't idle. Guy looks at me funny and says you just don't know how to tune the saw. So he takes it out back and "tunes" it.

Fast forward several months till fall and I wanna cut more wood and I have the same problems. Take it back in and he says it needs tuned up. He tries for 10min. with no good results. Takes it to the back and tells me there is a pin hole in the fuel line. They replace it quick and they Stihl have the same problems. So then they say it's a leaky carb. and they need to fix it next day in the shop. They don't call next day. I call day after that and they still don't know. They call back and say it's a bad carb. but don't have any in stock. This is a fri. and I wanna cut wood sat. I'm getting kinda upset now!

So the manager says he can't refund the money or exchange it because they only do that if I bring it back in the first wk of purchase, which I did bring it back twice for the same problem.

Finally he allowed me to exchange it for the full price I paid and I upgraded. It was like pulling teeth though!!!! OH the oiler quit too on it... Is that Stihl quality or what?!

As soon as he handed back my money I would have hot footed it straight to the Husky shop.

Latest posts

Back